Byes Management

Started by crowls, May 04, 2017, 11:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowls

This may seem early.  Many player decisions and options are clouded by the imbalances in my team over the bye rounds.   In the past I focused on having a starting 18 and not worried about premo mix.    2017 it is a major struggle to get any balance right.   Especially round 11, as by round 13 you can generally trade your way out of it.

Round 11,   Murphy, JPK, Beams, Stef, Dahlhaus, Macrea, Jack Steele  plus five rookies,  plus Strndica non playing.   7 Prems, 13 non playing assuming traded out Eddy for a starting rookie or he is playing by then.  of course if we have traded in any duds still have them to deal with as well.  16 scoring
Round 12, Danger, Yeo, Higgins, 2 rookies and Strndica   3 Prems, 3 rookies, 24 starting, bench cover
Round 13, Laird, Adams, Pendles, Fyfe, Treloar, Sandi and 4 rookies including Strndica, 6 prems - 10 out, 20 scoring and should have traded in other prem upgrades by then as well.

The challenge is selecting upgrade options that address the imbalance.    This means round 12 teams Gee, Nth, Richmond, West Cooast  and/or Port and Suns players post round 9.   

Current beams situation has me looking Yeo, McGovern, Priddis, Duncan, Selwood, Macmillan, Dusty, Ablett, Lynch, Robbie Gray, Ebert, Westoff, Wingard, Hamish Hartlett etc.       Of those Selwood, Ablett, Lynch are all worth serious consideration, Yeo is buying at peak for an unproven 90+ fwd, McGovern is great player but not a proven 90+ SC player.    Priddis, Duncan also possible good POD options

So, for all of the experienced coaches.    What is the best way to get through byes.    Try and max each week and avoid donuts.   Throw one week and max the other two.     Some other alternative.    Is it worth taking a better bye option player than your first choice upgrade?   

Since I started in 2013 have always jumped up thousands of places in overall during bye rounds mainly by avoiding donuts.     What is the cost of a donut?   

In summary,  my approach will be   
Port and GCS players after round 9.    Gaz, Lynch, Ebert, Jack Martin, Touk Miller, Ryder?
No Round 11 bye players guns or rookies until Round 12 unless I can trade rookie out in Round 11.
Preference to Round 12 options for upgrades untill Round 11.

Goal is min 19 starting/scoring players for each bye round.   

Love to hear others opinions.

LordSneeze

If you can pull this off kudos to you

Goal is min 23 starting/scoring players for each bye round.   

Most just try to get 19-20 in each round.

crowls

Quote from: LordSneeze on May 04, 2017, 12:40:10 PM

I am on drugs LS   meant to be 19 not 23.    and this is exactly how I am playing SC this year.  Lack of clear thinking....        Appreciate your gentle approach with the feedback as well, you  could easily have slayed me.  Thanks

LordSneeze

Quote from: crowls on May 04, 2017, 12:51:52 PM
Quote from: LordSneeze on May 04, 2017, 12:40:10 PM

I am on drugs LS   meant to be 19 not 23.    and this is exactly how I am playing SC this year.  Lack of clear thinking....        Appreciate your gentle approach with the feedback to mate.     could easily have slayed me.  Thanks
I could have, but everyone gets a chance or 2 (or 3 or 4 in your case).  ;D

Gigantor

Should be slightly easier this year with GC/Port early bye (famous last words!)

I'm looking to hold Witts and SPP through rd 9 and look to bring in Lynch or Wines in rd 10

One thing I'll say is don't be tempted to trade in shower rookies to avoid donuts, fell for that a few years ago. Had 17 players, traded in a rookie on the bubble who was scoring like shower and had poor JS, scored a 40 made about 25k then got dropped. Would have never traded him in during regular season but panicked with the thought of a donut haha

crowls

Quote from: Gigantor on May 04, 2017, 01:00:30 PM

I'm looking to hold Witts and SPP through rd 9 and look to bring in Lynch or Wines in rd 10

One thing I'll say is don't be tempted to trade in shower rookies to avoid donuts, fell for that a few years ago. Had 17 players, traded in a rookie on the bubble who was scoring like shower and had poor JS, scored a 40 made about 25k then got dropped. Would have never traded him in during regular season but panicked with the thought of a donut haha
good point Gigantor.    Already got 4 rookies stinking up the place.   A more patient approach in the second half will see my team qualify in top 4 in my cash league and end up with competitive team for finals.   Probably a longshot  if I can get overall back to top 1% by end of the year.   So top 3000 sounds achievable

Was just looking at my history for this year.   My average has gone down every week this season.   

Gigantor

Quote from: crowls on May 04, 2017, 01:11:01 PM
Quote from: Gigantor on May 04, 2017, 01:00:30 PM

good point Gigantor.    Already got 4 rookies stinking up the place.   A more patient approach in the second half will see my team qualify in top 4 in my cash league and end up with competitive team for finals.   Probably a longshot  if I can get overall back to top 1% by end of the year.   So top 3000 sounds achievable

Was just looking at my history for this year.   My average has gone down every week this season.

Haha I'm not going so flash my self!

But every year I improved my rank each bye round so its definitely worth putting in the time planning!