British XV Round 7 Lodgement and Banter - RIVALRY ROUND

Started by GoLions, May 01, 2017, 08:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoLions

Rivalry Round! No HGA for either team.

Ladder getting very interesting so far this season, and there looks to be quite a few must win games for some teams this week!

Also, loving another week of regular Friday-->Sunday games ;D

Fixture:

Giants vs Rams: Two of the lower finishing teams of last year, with the Giants and Rams finishing 16th and 14 respectively. Both of these teams have traded and drafted well in the off-season, and have shown some good improvement because of that. One does wonder though, if coach Nige maybe overdid it a touch in his fire-sale of defenders? In particular, trading away Dylan Roberton. These teams now sit 13th and 14th, with the Rams the one game ahead, however the Giants have actually outscored them so far this season. There hasn't been a lot that has split them each week, and this should be a really good and even contest. Giants for me in a thriller!

Badgers vs Knights: There's been a bit of history between these 2 coaches. Both started their coaching jobs in the BXVs system within about a month of each other, and the rivalry has been quite fierce ever since. They both shared an apprenticeship at the Cairo Sands, more formally known as Karen, in the WXVs comp, before leaving to both take over the Cape Town Cobras at the end of 2016. They also work together in both of the Americas comps, and have been for a fair bit of time now. So, what does this all mean? Whoever gets beaten in this won't hear the end of it for at least a year! With the Knights being so disappointing for the most part of this season, it's hard to see them getting close to the Badgers in this one. Badgers to get a nice percentage booster I'd say in The Waterfront Cup, in Missy's 50th!

Hurricanes vs Magic: The team that has consistently delivered each year, up against the team that has consistently promised and yet failed to deliver each year. However, if you look at their form over the last month, the Magic have been very impressive, not dropping under 2300 in that period. And it's no secret that their superstar captain Rory Sloane has been a big part of this form. The rivalry between these two teams arguably stems from the WXVs comp, between the Spetsnaz and the Dillos. The Hurricanes still sit undefeated, and the Magic have managed to work themselves up to 5th position, sitting outside of the top 4 by percentage alone, having just dropped the one match this season so far (and in round 1 no less). I'm expecting a high scoring affair here, and if Sloaney can deliver again for the Magic...an upset could be on the cards to deliver the Hurricanes their first loss of the season. Will stick with the 'Canes for now though!

Hoods vs Steins: Is this a rivalry, or a friendship? Who knows really. As soon as nas got the gig for the Steins at the end of last year, LF was the first to ask for this rivalry game, so maybe it is a bit of both? The Hoods and the Steins are both quite young teams who were looking for a lot of improvement to start of 2017. One of these teams has shown that, and the other hasn't. Unfortunately for the Hoods, a combination of injuries and under-performing premiums has seen them holding up the rest of the ladder, as the only remaining winless team. The Steins however have shown a lot, especially in the first few rounds, but have dropped off since losing star ruckman Max GAWNNNNNN. They were able to challenge the Hurricanes last week though, and if they can bring that same effort and intensity to this week's rivalry clash, they will walk away with the 4 points. Steins for me.

Dragons vs Hedgies: Ah, I can't wait for this one. The rivalry between the Dragons and the Hedgies started as a friendly one when TDog took over the Hedgehogs, having worked with Dragons coach kb in XVs comps over the years. But everything changed when the fire nation attacked Koop was appointed as the new head coach at Hebden Bridge. These two have a very strong rivalry in the Americas SC comp due to a, uh, disagreement of sorts.

See here: http://forum.fanfooty.com.au/index.php/topic,103723.msg1810226.html#msg1810226

I expect nothing but the best of banter between these two coaches in the lead up to this weekend's game, and for the years to come. With McVeigh a possible in for the Hedges backline, he could give them that extra bit of stability in their team, but Greene and Mullett both out will hurt even more, so the Dragons get my tip.

Bunnies vs Hawks: I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting this from the Bunnies for another year or two! They currently sit 6th on the ladder at 4-2, coming off a 2500+ score against the Rams last weekend! The return of Hurley and Ryder after suspensions, the drafting of SPS and Kennedy, the emergence of Zac Jones, the return of Heeney and Murphy from injury (both this year and last), among other thigns, has seen them looking very very good for the future. And who knows, that could end up being as soon as finals this year. The Hawks have been very up and down, and had a devastating loss against the Giants in round 6 to have them just hanging inside the 8 still. On recent form, you have to back the Bunnies here. However, I just feel like the Hawks are going to come together and click at any minute...and it might just be this week when they need it most. Hawks by the smallest of margins.

Werewolves vs Owls: It's finally here, the 2016 BXVs GRAND FINAL REMATCH. I feel like Randy from South Park atm. The Werewolves, who have been right up there every single year, and who have been through so much disappointment, up against the reigning premiers in the Owls, who almost came out of nowhere early on in the 2016 season. They sit 4th and 7th respectively, after the Owls dropped off a bit over the last few weeks, losing 3 of their last 4 matches, in comparison to the Werewolves who have lost just the one. All signs point to this being the highest scoring match of the round, and I'd be shocked if it wasn't an absolute ripper. Will Rusty get his revenge after losing the Grand Final last year to Vinny? Or will the Owls be the ones smiling after the match yet again? I think I'll back the current in-form team in the Werewolves, who have DELIVERED EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

Breakers vs Leeches: Our last match of rivalry round, both of these teams were very evenly poised last year. Since then, however, we have seen the Breakers take a step back, sitting 12th on the ladder after making finals last year. And we have their rivals from Leeds, absolutely demolishing opponents left and right, 2nd on the ladder, just the 1 loss, and the highest points scored for the season to date. I'll be honest, it's hard to see the Breakers getting close here. To make things worse for Breakers coach Ringo, his request for 2 extra players in this game has been rejected by assistant admin GoLions. So, knowing this, I'll have to go with the Leeches in a massive win, and consolidating their top 2 spot on the ladder.

Koop

nas

Staines Steins.

Def:  Caleb Marchbank - Callum Mills - L McDonald - AM-Tippa.

Mid: Josh Kelly (EVC) - Lachlan Hunter - Marcus Bontempelli (C) - Conor Blakely.

Ruck: Brodie Grundy (VC).

Fwd: Christian Petracca - Elliot Yeo (F/M) - Jessie Hogan - Lewis Taylor.

Util: Brayden Maynard (D) - Jarmen Impey (F).

Emerg: Shane Kersten (F) - Sam Frost (D) - Nick Robertson (F/D) - Adam Tomlinson (OOP R).

**Subject to Team line ups.**

Koop

D: Leigh Montagna // Jarrad McVeigh // Daniel Rich // Ethan Hughes

M: Dustin Martin (c) // Lachie Neale // Luke Parker (vc) // David Zaharakis

R: Rhys Stanley

F: Jack Watts // Matthew Wright // Maverick Weller // Alex Neal-Bullen

U: Alex Sexton // Callum Sinclair

E: Timothy Broomhead (FWD) // Levi Greenwood (MID/FWD) // Ethan Hughes (DEF) // Jarryn Geary (DEF)

IN: Rhys Stanley, Alex Sexton, Jarrad McVeigh, Ethan Hughes
OUT: Levi Greenwood (omit), Toby Greene (suspended), Aaron Mullett (broken hand), Jarryn Geary (standby for when McVeigh likely doesn't get named)

GoLions

iZander

Am scared of sloaney this week :/

Def: Laird, Pittard, Zac Williams, Salem
Mid: JPK (C), Jelwood (VC), Brendon Goddard, Nathan Jones
Ruck: Mummy
Fwd: Westhoff, Pederson, Stringer, Matera
Int: Dumont, Wells

Emg: Newnes, May, Lobb, Trengove

Torpedo10

Quote from: iZander on May 01, 2017, 09:00:16 PM

Scared?

I'm almost tempted to not captain him TBH, because this form is bound to end soon.

iZander

Quote from: Torpedo10 on May 01, 2017, 09:12:30 PM
Quote from: iZander on May 01, 2017, 09:00:16 PM

Scared?

I'm almost tempted to not captain him TBH, because this form is bound to end soon.

I dare you not to :P

Torpedo10

Oh I just realised, rivalry week!

Bring it Zander! Hours of Trade debating comes to this.  :P I'm going to be one up anyway when Moscow taking down Buenos Aires when the time comes.  ;)

iZander

Quote from: Torpedo10 on May 01, 2017, 09:26:39 PM

Bring it Zander! Hours of Trade debating comes to this.  :P I'm going to be one up anyway when Moscow taking down Buenos Aires when the time comes.  ;)

Pffft, i guess you should take ur wins where you can get them, Because you wont be getting one in BXV ;) I have Pedobear

Torpedo10

Quote from: iZander on May 01, 2017, 09:53:08 PM

Pffft, i guess you should take ur wins where you can get them, Because you wont be getting one in BXV ;) I have Pedobear
Pedobear?

I've never met a bear called Cameron TBH.

GoLions

Quote from: Torpedo10 on May 01, 2017, 09:55:00 PM
Quote from: iZander on May 01, 2017, 09:53:08 PM

Pedobear?

I've never met a bear called Cameron TBH.
Cam White doe

Ringo

Do I get an extra 2 players to allow me to get near the Leeches - probably need 5 though to get near 2820.

LF

Nottingham Hoods

Def: Jeremy McGovern,Tom Williamson,Andy Otten,Matt Dea
Mids: Dan Hannebery,Rory Atkins,Dom Sheed(VC),Liam Shiels
Ruck: Jonathan Giles
Fwds: Tom T Lynch(EVC),Devon Smith,Tim Taranto,Charlie Cameron
U: Sam Gray,Jackson Macrae(C)
E: Shane Biggs,Aaron Young,Adam Saad,Kurt Mutimer

Out: Grundyspud,Youngspud,Saadspud
In: Taranto Williamson,Dea
Oh and Hannerspud stripped of any form of captaincy

iZander