Linear Draft in Non-Keeper League

Started by SteveThePirate, March 09, 2017, 01:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveThePirate

Hey all,

My draft league has the annual tradition of deciding draft order via a beer-pong tournament.

Our draft commissioner is proposing to change the draft method this year to linear instead of snake for the following reason:

• To ensure every team has equal amount of time between picks, so that pick 1 is not punished by having to wait the longest between picks (resulting in mid-draft order teams having an advantage).

Is this a good/bad idea? Can linear draft order work in a non-keeper league?

The Pod

Well, based on experience, if it was me, I'd be changing leagues.

I just did my first linear draft and was 14th out of 14.  It's fair to say I've never seen a draft so ridiculous.  Picks 1,15,29, etc will always be miles ahead of picks 14,28,42, etc.

Banzai is the fairest draft but I don't think it's an option in UF, so snake is the only sensible option IMO.

Equal time between picks sounds like BS to me.  Maybe the pick time is too high.  If everyone has their strategy in mind and pre-draft done, the 30 to 45 seconds should be plenty of time.

SydneyRox

yeah seems pretty silly to me as well.

no way the guys picking last get any value

SteveThePirate

Quote from: The Pod on March 09, 2017, 02:10:56 AM
Well, based on experience, if it was me, I'd be changing leagues.

I just did my first linear draft and was 14th out of 14.  It's fair to say I've never seen a draft so ridiculous.  Picks 1,15,29, etc will always be miles ahead of picks 14,28,42, etc.

Banzai is the fairest draft but I don't think it's an option in UF, so snake is the only sensible option IMO.

Equal time between picks sounds like BS to me.  Maybe the pick time is too high.  If everyone has their strategy in mind and pre-draft done, the 30 to 45 seconds should be plenty of time.

Quote from: SydneyRox on March 09, 2017, 12:50:29 PM
yeah seems pretty silly to me as well.

no way the guys picking last get any value

Thanks for your replies. I feel the same way.