Bully's Boys 2017

Started by Bully, January 26, 2017, 05:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglesman

Quote from: Bully on March 16, 2017, 07:04:50 PM
Quote from: Ringo on March 16, 2017, 10:15:38 AM
Just something to keep an eye on going forward Bully 11 of your current onfield 22 have Rd 13 bye so need to watch with trading.  However in saying that most teams I am seeing will have the same issue with Rd 13 bye me included.
Apart from that Nice Team.

Note to oneself : hold Hampton & Otten until round 12 (if possible).

My strategy has always been to have more but players in the last bye. Doesn't that just make obvious sense ?

Bully

Quote from: eaglesman on March 16, 2017, 09:08:45 PM
Just something to keep an eye on going forward Bully 11 of your current onfield 22 have Rd 13 bye so need to watch with trading.  However in saying that most teams I am seeing will have the same issue with Rd 13 bye me included.

My strategy has always been to have more but players in the last bye. Doesn't that just make obvious sense ?

Rookies who have the last bye are ideal, we have 6 trades to sort out the coverage. I usually cull 3 and bring in 3 keepers to address the imbalance. There's also guys like Gray & Gaz who could be really useful after round 9.

eaglesman

Quote from: Bully on March 16, 2017, 09:56:45 PM
Quote from: eaglesman on March 16, 2017, 09:08:45 PM

Rookies who have the last bye are ideal, we have 6 trades to sort out the coverage. I usually cull 3 and bring in 3 keepers to address the imbalance. There's also guys like Gray & Gaz who could be really useful after round 9.

Exactly. As long as you don't load up on round 11 bye players everything will
Be fine

Bully

Solid start to the year with an opening score of 2215. Probably should have been 2233 had I been able to take Swallow off the field and replace him with Barrett but dems da breaks. The Butler loophole strategy worked well with 15 points gained on Witts' score, this will be repeated for the next two weeks (will be able to toggle Strnadica & Ryder to grab the highest score).

So how has the Witts strategy faired? So far it's reaped 96 (Butler loop), 111 from Higgins & 87 from Ryder = 294

Compared to Goldy 105 + 44 (Taranto) + 88 (WHE) = 237

Net result = +57

As far as trades go, still trying to fit Murphy in with a correctional trade but can't see any way to get it done. Will have to leave that one for the moment. Need more out of Roughie but he gets a reprieve for now. Steele could easily replace him if the result is the same next week. No other pressing issues apart from rookies, Pickett looks like a dud, Riley Knight looked really good so there's one possibility. Otten/Hibberd to Newman is another potential correction trade pending team selections.

RaisyDaisy

Bloody hell

Treloar vs Jelwood
Butler vs Florent
Higgins vs Steele

That's the only 3 differences between our teams. I did manage to trade Swallow to GHS so that gives us 4 out of 30 lol feel like I need to make some trades to get a little unique Haha

Bully

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 28, 2017, 10:34:19 AM
Bloody hell

Treloar vs Jelwood
Butler vs Florent
Higgins vs Steele

That's the only 3 differences between our teams. I did manage to trade Swallow to GHS so that gives us 4 out of 30 lol feel like I need to make some trades to get a little unique Haha

lol our head to head would be pretty boring. Holding off trading this week as I want to assess the form of Murphy, Steele, Roughie, Hannan & WHE. Here's some tempting correctional trades.

Roughie to WHE, Swallow to Murphy

Roughie to Steele

Roughie to Hannan, Pickett to Steele

Roughie to Hannan, Swallow to Murphy, 100k in bank

Bully

All good in the hood, finished round 2 with 2299 points and have moved up to 2998 in the rankings. Team is well set with rookies so have opted to trade out Ryder & Roughie for WHE & Murphy. This will leave 140k in the bank for a potential Witts to Gawn trade over the coming weeks. Witts on track for 370k so I just need one stinker from Gawn over the next month. Other targets are Simpson/Adams in defence & Buddy in the forward line. Think I've got a good nucleus with Higgins & Nank proving their worth, it now becomes a question of filling the last two spots. The midfield is also super strong now & I will look at picking off some quality mids once they throw in some stinkers. I didn't select Selwood & Bont due to their high standard deviation, I think it's a matter of before they throw in a poor game. Treloar disappointing but I expect a 140+ score in the near future.

Bully

Good week scoring 2338 and smashing through to the top 1000. Currently ranked 555 which is very funny (Thai joke right there) and can honestly say I believe that I'm well in this contest. Very happy with the current composition of the team and the ruck implosion has put me in a strong position to fix up other areas of the ground whilst the competition scrambles to deal with Gawn & Goldy. Hibberd definitely goes for Newman, don't have to think twice about that. The next move will be to get rid of O'Meara and bring in Miller. Whilst I believe O'Meara will score a few more 80's & 90's, his cash generation has completely stalled and I don't like the thought of him playing for another 6-7 rounds. Touk looks a good bet to be in the top 10 forwards this year and his price is still super attractive for a player who can regularly churn out tons. The next focus will be getting M8 sorted with a super premo, so many to choose from right now so will give it another couple of weeks before nailing down a Bont, Martin, Selwood or Rocky.

sammy123

Quote from: Bully on April 10, 2017, 02:01:06 AM
Good week scoring 2338 and smashing through to the top 1000. Currently ranked 555 which is very funny (Thai joke right there) and can honestly say I believe that I'm well in this contest. Very happy with the current composition of the team and the ruck implosion has put me in a strong position to fix up other areas of the ground whilst the competition scrambles to deal with Gawn & Goldy. Hibberd definitely goes for Newman, don't have to think twice about that. The next move will be to get rid of O'Meara and bring in Miller. Whilst I believe O'Meara will score a few more 80's & 90's, his cash generation has completely stalled and I don't like the thought of him playing for another 6-7 rounds. Touk looks a good bet to be in the top 10 forwards this year and his price is still super attractive for a player who can regularly churn out tons. The next focus will be getting M8 sorted with a super premo, so many to choose from right now so will give it another couple of weeks before nailing down a Bont, Martin, Selwood or Rocky.

team is going great bully. looks good and looks like it could climb higher in the ranks

Mongoose528

Quote from: Bully on April 10, 2017, 02:01:06 AM

Team looks good Bully, thinking of doing similar trades myself.

Bully

It's been a while since I updated this thread but the story has been pretty wretched, have tumbled out of the top 1000 and really need to make a move this bye period otherwise it's curtains for the year. Currently stand at 4223 which is well off the pace. To be honest I'm happy the team but haven't had much luck with untimely injuries, captains picks and rookie fieldings. Trades are done for the week, Selwood comes in for Marchbank. Next week I'm keen to get one of Gray or Wines, will work that out closer to the time but it could simply be Stewart to Scharenberg, Fisher to Greenwood & Barrett to Gray/Wines. Want Rocky but can't see how I can get him with the cows I have available.

Now just for some reasoning behind grabbing one of the Port guys.

* The extra match they play is worth a minimum of 5 points on their year ending average. I'm confident Wines inparticular can finish strongly and I'll jump on Gray if it appears he's over the the groin niggles. Obviously needs a run in the guts this week.

* Both players will be dirt cheap, Wines forecast to be 465k & Gray 444k.

* At a bare minimum they will be cash cows. Now I've read the comments on the Bye Buster thread and whilst their are some relevant counterarguments, there's a hell of a lot of repetition that can be found on the Walters thread. Given what just transpired over the weekend you'd reckon their would be a bit more open mindedness about picking fallen premos to raise cash. The doomsday scenarios seem to be a bit melodramatic.

* Just some key info on Wines - 4 scores over 120 so far and a top score of 145. Is in a form slump but the same could be said for many of the other fallen premos. The fact his starting price was so low is in part why he finds himself in the bargain basement bin. Last year at the equivalent time he came home with a 105 average and this would be about what I would be expecting. The extra game pushes that average into premo territory.

* Don't need to extrapolate on Gray, he's a proven gun with 3 years of elite scoring. Just needs to get fit and spend more time in the middle. Will be a keen observer over the weekend.

* Port have a great draw coming up, Essendon, Hawthorn & Brisbane is about as soft as you could ask for. I expect Port to win all those games and I expect them to take the lionshare of points against Hawthorn & Brisbane.

* Barrett to Gray/Wines will be 150-170k, can't see any other way to get such bang for the buck and I'm keen to ditch any potential 30 or 40 from best 18.

Anyhow, best to see what this week throws up and then go from there. Hopefully everything goes to plan.

Ringo

Can not fault the plan you have.  Have read the arguments myself and at worst if you have trades left an upgrade or a nice M9.
I have similar thoughts to you with Port and Suns players hence why I am getting Harbrow this week and Wingard next week. Think both will average 90/95 which is ok for D6/F6.

AaronKirk

I have extrapolated an argument in the Coaches help thread about trading Murphy to Gray/Wines before next week's games.

Depends what you believe Murph will average for the rest of the year. If 110 is what you think I would consider trading him to Gray or Wines. I am strongly looking at it.

Given the dire cash generation options and Ports very good draw it is something to consider.

Bully

Quote from: AaronKirk on May 24, 2017, 12:06:55 AM
I have extrapolated an argument in the Coaches help thread about trading Murphy to Gray/Wines before next week's games.

Depends what you believe Murph will average for the rest of the year. If 110 is what you think I would consider trading him to Gray or Wines. I am strongly looking at it.

Given the dire cash generation options and Ports very good draw it is something to consider.

An interesting thought, I'm not against trading a premium to a premium, I did it with Gaz and brought in JPK. Sound logic although I didn't make as much cash as I anticipated, was banking on Gaz to hit 640k but he only managed 611k. On the flip side, JPK dropped more than I thought so I still managed to bring in the cash for another upgrade.

As for Murph specifically, will watch his BE closely, if he piles on some extra $$ then this is a definite consideration. In fact any mid will be in the same category if they appear overvalued. Murphy expected to hit 558k.

Just on Wines, his real value is 520k based on his existing average. Another score around the 100 mark will maintain that intrinsic value but give him a 60k discount, plus you get an additional match. If Wines only fills M8 for 3 weeks and the difference between him and the lowest scorer in round 11 is 60 then you are adding 20 points to his average. Let's say I wait for Rocky and he maintains a 120 average over the bye period.

Wines 100 x 3 = 300

Rocky 120 x 2 = 240
+ 60 from rookie = 300

This gap blows out the longer I keep Wines at M8 however my team is pretty close to full strength and I will have 13 trades after bringing Wines in. My priorities in round 12 & 13 will be Otten to Hibberd/Roberton & Sandi to Martin/Gawn. That leaves plenty of opportunity after the byes to focus on fixing M8 either through an upgrade or moving Wines to M9.

Bully

So after the byes I'm pretty much back where I started, very disappointed as I usually make up ground over this period but my trades stunk to high heaven. Picked up Rocky instead of Wines (despite arguing to the contrary) and lost over 100 points. Picked Stef Martin instead of Yeo/Goldy and lost 50 points. Traded Newman for Hibberd and lost 30 points. So ultimately my poor calls have ended up placing me well outside the top 1000 (1629) and the season is done and dusted. I guess from here I'll be looking at finishing inside the top 1000, one silver lining is the team is complete with the exception of Witts. Gawn will come in provided his forms warrants a trade. I may even consider one of the better performing rucks like Kreuzer. 5 trades left so not a lot of wriggle room but I'm never one to sit on trades just for the sake of it.