Bully's Boys 2017

Started by Bully, January 26, 2017, 05:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bully

Here's the basic template, will be going light in the forward line this year, picking the top 6 looks like being a real lottery.

LordSneeze

The only problems with going light on one line is that it doesn't leave a huge amount of room to move on the others, and your normally scraping the bottom of the barrel for a solid scoring rookie for the last onfield position.

For me im not a fan of picking Adams with the plethora of Def options available that have similar scoring potential with alot less risk. Also Hartlett is one id avoid personally, possibly downgrade him to a rookie/rookie priced and upgrade a FWD to a Premium (Gunston, Franklin, Greene types)

Bully

Quote from: LordSneeze on January 26, 2017, 10:51:14 PM
The only problems with going light on one line is that it doesn't leave a huge amount of room to move on the others, and your normally scraping the bottom of the barrel for a solid scoring rookie for the last onfield position.

For me im not a fan of picking Adams with the plethora of Def options available that have similar scoring potential with alot less risk. Also Hartlett is one id avoid personally, possibly downgrade him to a rookie/rookie priced and upgrade a FWD to a Premium (Gunston, Franklin, Greene types)

Will assess the fitness of Adams, hasn't played a full season yet so there are some concerns. As for Hartlett, he's worth the risk in my opinion, although much will depend on where he plays in the preseason. He had a stinker last year but prior to that averaged 101 & 97, that's definitely worthy of a starting gig. When I look at the forwards in the same price range, Roughy is more of a risk & Bennell is on the nose with Rossy and we all know what happens in those situations.

As for the rookies, most are DPP, this is a deliberate strategy which enables me to pick off bubble boys on two lines. Big fan of Hugh, could easily average 80. Bowes has played plenty of senior footy and done reasonably well. Parfitt has a 46 disposal game to his name & has starred in the seniors. Generally the problem with going shallow in defence is that the rookies often throw up 50's. Happy with McGrath at D5 & I expect Ryan to slot in at D6. Beyond that I don't see enormous scoring potential.

As for Thomas, decent bet at that price although I may look at Ainsworth as well.

Bully

Here's a version with a stacked midfield and cheap rookies. Probably won't happen but I thought I'd try and see if I could squeeze in 15 potential keepers (Murphy & Sandi included).

enzedder

Agree that it probably won't happen as there are a stack of 117k and cheaper rookies in that side... something would have to give but it does look strong.

Ringo

Actually do not mind it = However as has been said relying a lot on low priced rookies playing. However you have the option of dropping Murphy and.or Swallow down to gain cash for playing rooks.

eaglesman

Yup like this side ... game I will move to similar if the cheap rookies present

Bully

Hanners to Rocky also frees up some cash to fiddle with the $117,000 & $123,000 rookies.

That could entail Darcy Cameron to Pickett & Luke Ryan to Mitchell Hibberd.

Or Fisher to Powell-Pepper.

Or Eddy to Ben Long.

It's a good template with most of the risk being borne in the forward line. But with heaps of potential options ie. Willem Drew, Shai Bolton, Joshua Begley, Nick O'Kearney etc. I think there's some chance the cheapies will be available.

Bully

Money Shot

very good side. however, I hope you have a couple 100k left for upgrading rookies come round 1 as you have a lot of basement players.

uncleswagy

i like the setup, 50/50 hartlett myself but if others are set on him i dont think ill talk them out of it

also are we sure murph is a 100% keeper? hasnt been a top end (110+ave) scorer for a while

PureSwag

Nice team but I think maybe your could get a 500k plus player instead of Hartlett.

Bully

Quote from: PureSwag on January 30, 2017, 06:31:00 PM
Nice team but I think maybe your could get a 500k plus player instead of Hartlett.

Don't have the $$ to upgrade, I'm also banking on Hartlett to make a return to the midfield and for Bonner to become the rebounder, in which case 90+ is on the cards.

Quote from: uncleswagy on January 30, 2017, 06:09:45 PM
i like the setup, 50/50 hartlett myself but if others are set on him i dont think ill talk them out of it

also are we sure murph is a 100% keeper? hasnt been a top end (110+ave) scorer for a while

Not fussed if Murphy averages 105, that's enough until late season when I can use him for cover.

Quote from: Money Shot on January 30, 2017, 05:50:29 PM
very good side. however, I hope you have a couple 100k left for upgrading rookies come round 1 as you have a lot of basement players.

I'm confident this set up will hold up once the rookies emerge. Here's the prognosis.

McGrath/McCluggage - one will be picked and this may depend upon the availability of cheap rookies on either line.

160k defender - Hampton/Scharenberg/Keefe

D6-D8- I need any 3 out of Ryan, Stewart, Long, Hibberd & Berry

Mids - Should get the two cheapies I need, especially with the DPP. You'd expect Myers to be a lock. Freeman/Powell-Pepper/Graham are the most likely IMO.

102k - Smith/Eddy (good chance one emerges)

117k - Parfitt I'm very bullish on, ran a 14.6 beep so has the fitness, he's also starred in SANFL reserves & seniors, Bolton has been raising some eyebrows down at Punt Road - made some senior players look like witches hats (and we currently have Morris playing as the small forward).

123k - Pickett a lock I think, if not I'd expect Zac Fisher to be picked which fills a midfield hole. Balic also a chance with Barlow out of the picture.

Aaron Black also an outside chance to replace Kersten.

I'm absolutely set on this structure if the pieces fall into place, I don't think it's as remote as many may believe. This draft was a beauty for depth, I even suspect others will emerge who haven't been mentioned. Poholke & Begley just a couple of others who have AFL ready bodies.

eaglesman

I'm never as excited about rookie availability as others but this year I think there is a chance many emerge.

My team I have allocated the funds to expensive rookies with the hope I can ignore them and get the cheap ones in when the real stuff comes along.

I like it

uncleswagy

Quote from: Bully on January 30, 2017, 09:08:16 PM

Quote from: uncleswagy on January 30, 2017, 06:09:45 PM

Not fussed if Murphy averages 105, that's enough until late season when I can use him for cover.

fair call, if you get a good run with injury and hit your trades right at worst case he'll be a handy m9 late year