Main Menu

Best 22 for 2017

Started by GoLions, October 24, 2016, 05:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoLions

So, with AFL.com releasing best 22s for each team, this is what they have for us:

B: Tom Cutler, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner
HB: Marco Paparone, Daniel McStay, Sam Mayes
C: Daniel Rich, Mitch Robinson, Allen Christensen
HF: Dayne Zorko, Josh Schache, Lewis Taylor
F: Michael Close, Eric Hipwood, Tom Bell
R: Stefan Martin, Tom Rockliff, Dayne Beams
INT: Rhys Mathieson, Ryan Bastinac, Rohan Bewick, Ryan Lester
EMERG: Ben Keays, Jack Frost, Josh Walker

Tbh I think it's just about bang on. Freeman will also be pushing for a spot in the forward line, competing with Close and Walker.
Lester needs to be played in the midfield, otherwise I think we'd be better off with Claye Beams, Harwood, or Dawson (along with the emergencies already named). Would like to see Keays get given more of a run through the midfield if an injury occurs.

Will be interesting to see where Christensen is played. Looked alright off half back before getting injured this year, but always manages to find a goal or two up forward as well. Also would like to see Bewick used as a target up forward, but not sure where we'll actually use him tbh. Has shown he can play a role on smallish forwards before iirc.

Whoever we draft at 3 (or I guess 4 as we should bid on Bowes which the Suns would match), likely Ainsworth at this stage I reckon, could also push for a spot on the bench.

Ringo

Frost may also compete for a position of half back as well. If Christensen is played of half back then Mayes would have to move forward which is his best position in my opinion. Maybe Keays to centre with Mayes on bench.
We also have depth when both Skinner and McGrath are fit.
Agree whoever we draft with first pick Ainsworth or McGrath  (if he slips) will push for selection.
Really interested to see Leadership group as well.

meow meow

Did my best 22 for all teams a few days ago. This was one of the most difficult but I gave it a crack and came up with...

B: Tom Cutler, Jack Frost, Daniel McStay
HB: Daniel Rich, Harris Andrews, Marco Paparone
C: Ryan Lester, Mitch Robinson, Dayne Zorko
HF: Allen Christensen, Eric Hipwood, Tom Bell
F: Lewis Taylor, Josh Schache, Rohan Bewick
R: Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff
I: Rhys Mathieson, Ryan Bastinac, Ryan Harwood, Darcy Gardiner
E: Sam Mayes, Ben Keays, Nick Robertson

Cutler was impressive but the lack of attack out of the backline was something that needs to be adressed IMO. Playing Frost purely as a shut down defender would allow Harris to do what he does best, intercept marking machine/spoiling 1%er legend. Rich would provide decent rebound, Harwood and Pararone too. Lester and Zorko as pure mids now, and Bewick's best position is in attack IMO. Christensen provides a bit of scoreboard impact and you may as well let the 2 young GUN key forwards shoulder the load alone. Freeman and Close don't really help much since they're just as green. Mayes needs to react to a kick in the butt before he deserves a spot in the 22.

meow meow

And I said it after his first or second season - Dayne Zorko should be the captain of this club. Harris Andrews should be VC depsite his tender age, the man is a pro and a gun.

Ringo

Quote from: meow meow on October 24, 2016, 08:24:04 PM
And I said it after his first or second season - Dayne Zorko should be the captain of this club. Harris Andrews should be VC depsite his tender age, the man is a pro and a gun.
Agree 100% with this MM. Andrews is a star in the making imo and will thrive with added responsibility.  Will definitely lead by example as well.

GoLions

Quote from: meow meow on October 24, 2016, 08:22:12 PM
Did my best 22 for all teams a few days ago. This was one of the most difficult but I gave it a crack and came up with...

B: Tom Cutler, Jack Frost, Daniel McStay
HB: Daniel Rich, Harris Andrews, Marco Paparone
C: Ryan Lester, Mitch Robinson, Dayne Zorko
HF: Allen Christensen, Eric Hipwood, Tom Bell
F: Lewis Taylor, Josh Schache, Rohan Bewick
R: Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff
I: Rhys Mathieson, Ryan Bastinac, Ryan Harwood, Darcy Gardiner
E: Sam Mayes, Ben Keays, Nick Robertson

Cutler was impressive but the lack of attack out of the backline was something that needs to be adressed IMO. Playing Frost purely as a shut down defender would allow Harris to do what he does best, intercept marking machine/spoiling 1%er legend. Rich would provide decent rebound, Harwood and Pararone too. Lester and Zorko as pure mids now, and Bewick's best position is in attack IMO. Christensen provides a bit of scoreboard impact and you may as well let the 2 young GUN key forwards shoulder the load alone. Freeman and Close don't really help much since they're just as green. Mayes needs to react to a kick in the butt before he deserves a spot in the 22.
Honestly, I would LOVE for Rich to be played off half back, and Lester in the middle. I just can't see it happening though :-\

Ringo

Here is best 22 and reserves for Brisbane.  Early call

4th Interchange is the contentious  position as could have been any of McLuggage, Paparone or Lester. 

Bit of competition for spots and real depth.

Happy if we can go up a couple of positions this season. If this group stays together  can see us pushing for 8 in 2018.

Hawka

Doing some research on the lions for an article
Why do you guys not consider Josh Walker best 22 ?
didnt see much football last year but Walkers stats dont look horrible at all

GoLions

Quote from: Hawka on January 31, 2017, 07:53:38 PM
Doing some research on the lions for an article
Why do you guys not consider Josh Walker best 22 ?
didnt see much football last year but Walkers stats dont look horrible at all
I think Close and Freeman were both injured for chunks of the season, and they're both ahead of Walker imo. Not that he didn't do well, I was pretty impressed by him. Just don't see him getting the nod ahead of our other young forwards.