Main Menu

Brisbane List Management for 16/17

Started by Ringo, August 30, 2016, 06:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strikes91

nrich102

He's really pissed me off this season, but I think we're wrong to be getting rid of our *leaders*. Just doesn't sit right with me that with as a club struggling with player retention we go selling players that have been loyal to the club (Adcock, Rocky, Hanley).

strikes91

Quote from: nrich102 on September 19, 2016, 11:49:43 PM
He's really pissed me off this season, but I think we're wrong to be getting rid of our *leaders*. Just doesn't sit right with me that with as a club struggling with player retention we go selling players that have been loyal to the club (Adcock, Rocky, Hanley).

Agree. How young does the club want to go next year. Winless is a high possibility

Ringo

It may be a case of having to trade a player to fix up our defence. The retirement of both Merrett and Clarke leaves a big hole in defence. Whilst Harris and Gardiner will be great their bodies are still developing and it is hard for them to play of fully developed forwards each week. Dunn and Jack Frost will no doubt assist but we do not have to give the farm away as we have done in the past.
We need to also keep some picks/points so as to gain our academy players in Jacob Ellison and Jack Rolls.
Not sure but I think the strategy may be to try and keep our youngsters and build for the future,
Hoping Fagan can do a Matthews if he is the coach and take us forward.  Remember we finished last in 1998 then Leigh took over and Premiership Winners in 2001.  We have the talent but it needs developing and unfortunately a lot of our mid tier players have not progressed.
From reports Fagan can reinstall the discipline within the club that has been missing and I surely hope so.

nrich102

Surely we can't be having another rebuild though? A rebuild of a rebuild of a rebuild doesn't sound right to me.

Ringo

Quote from: nrich102 on September 20, 2016, 11:23:47 AM
Surely we can't be having another rebuild though? A rebuild of a rebuild of a rebuild doesn't sound right to me.
Not a rebuild but a coach who can take players to another level.  Matthews did not add much to the list when he took over used draft picks well which we have done for the last 2 years. And lets face it we need to rebuild our defence with the unexpected retirement of Justin Clarke due to concussion. That would be my list priority in trade period. Probably need a forawrd as well while Schache and co continue their development but not as urgent as defence with Bell and Walker giving some experience.
Also we need a coach not afraid to send Senior players back to NEAFL if they are not performing.

strikes91

I wish all parties can just come out and say they wont be going anywhere. I'm desperate to see a fresh start and to finally get all players together in the one team. Once or twice we've had a full list of Rocky, Beams, Rich, Robinson, Hanley and Zorko on the field together.

Ringo

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-09-23/swann-on-trade-rumours

Comments by Greg Swann - So read it as you see fit.

"We’re not even close to starting it and there’s all of this speculation.

"We certainly haven’t put any players up for trade.

"We’re not in a position to do it until we have our Footy Manager and Coach appointed, so that will obviously happen as we know.

and this on Hanley
Hanley's manager Paul Connors said earlier in the week the 27-year-old was a "long way" from leaving the Lions, but conceded the NAB AFL Trade Period was a "funny" time.

strikes91

I'm having major doubts over both of them Ringo. Swann filled me with no security of keeping them. Pearce is contracted and going no where would have sound better if he was keen on keeping him. 

Ringo

Away and did not see the actual press conference that Swann did.  Lately I have been trying to gain a bit by body language. Thought it was a bit telling when the majority of players went together to NZ but Rocky and Hanley went together to Thailand.
Connors statement though seemed to be a bit stronger but the last phrase probably summed it up completely.
Think new coach will be the one making the decision in conjunction with Noble. Needs to ascertain if both want to be here and if not then trade them while they have currency. Will be a hard decision but with our performance we do not need players that do not want to be here.

strikes91

Quote from: Ringo on September 24, 2016, 08:05:11 AM
Away and did not see the actual press conference that Swann did.  Lately I have been trying to gain a bit by body language. Thought it was a bit telling when the majority of players went together to NZ but Rocky and Hanley went together to Thailand.
Connors statement though seemed to be a bit stronger but the last phrase probably summed it up completely.
Think new coach will be the one making the decision in conjunction with Noble. Needs to ascertain if both want to be here and if not then trade them while they have currency. Will be a hard decision but with our performance we do not need players that do not want to be here.

Most Years Pearce and Rocky go to Thailand for golf. Wouldn't look to much into that.

strikes91

Feeling that Hanley will be gone next year, rocky to stick around going by nobles comments.

Ringo

Yea I got that feeling listening to the pressers as well.

strikes91

Rockliffs manager saying he wont be leaving unless something drastic happens with the club not wanting him, "has lions in his blood"

100% certain rock will be here next year. Noble wants him rocky wants to stay in Brisbane. Hopefully get rid of these foul rumours and start building towards 2017