Main Menu

Leppa sacked

Started by kilbluff1985, August 29, 2016, 02:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilbluff1985

Brisbane fans happy or not?

Ringo

In two minds KB - Injuries have hurt and Leppa has maintained his policy of playing youth. However it is obvious he does not react to game situations quickly if at all. Take yesterday for example when Nroo was running riot, the obvious solution was to play someone in front of him to cut down his leading where he would always be favoured to beat Sauce.  Did we see this move not at all.

GoLions

Quote from: Ringo on August 29, 2016, 03:01:52 PM
In two minds KB - Injuries have hurt and Leppa has maintained his policy of playing youth. However it is obvious he does not react to game situations quickly if at all. Take yesterday for example when Nroo was running riot, the obvious solution was to play someone in front of him to cut down his leading where he would always be favoured to beat Sauce.  Did we see this move not at all.
Basically this. Quite a few things were out of his control, but the stuff that was in his control he didn't do fantastically well.

kilbluff1985

i just wonder how Rocky will see it

_wato

Rocky is a lock now!!! Hahahaha

nrich102

Let's bring in Akermanis as coach.

nrich102

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-29/justin-leppitsch-was-never-given-a-fair-chance-at-brisbane-lions/7795264?section=sport

This article probably sums up my opinions on Leppa. He was given an impossible job and did his best at it.

Who do we want to coach us next? I'd say Sanderson, Williams, Barker or Dew are who I want. Not a Ratten fan. Thoughts?

GoLions

Maybe Barker. He played at the Hawks, right? :P

Capper

my question is who would want the job? Also who takes Black's job as well? IMO assistants will be lining up to take Rocket's job rather than Leppa's

Do they set up something similar to what Melbourne did?

Ringo

Neal Balm has been seen in Brisbane last week so he could take over as director of football for one of the untried coaches as a sounding Board.

Nige

Quote from: GoLions on August 29, 2016, 06:32:47 PM
He's apparently the favourite at the moment.

I really like him and rate him as a coach, honestly reckon he's a good man for the job.

RaisyDaisy

They need a genuine leader

Someone the players will respect and really look up to, and someone who will be externally seen to have presence

I'd like to see Stuey Dew finally get his shot. He's the tough person they need, or someone similar

Capper

Quote from: Nige on August 29, 2016, 11:54:25 PM
Quote from: GoLions on August 29, 2016, 06:32:47 PM
He's apparently the favourite at the moment.

I really like him and rate him as a coach, honestly reckon he's a good man for the job.
I dont see it in Barker personally, i think he would do better in an established list rather than rebuilding one

Ringo

As we all know the sacking was expected.

As a Brisbane member I will be brutal in my assessment of the Lions coaching staff over the last few years:
In my opinion our demise stated with the appointment of the untried Voss and the Fevola debacle in the first year. The Directors also made Voss director of football, even superior to Gubby Allen at the time.  Voss then brought in Daniel Collins as performance director an quite a few pf the assistant coaches walked including the Brittain Brothers who could not work with Collins.
Unlike Leppa Voss did improve each year but did not have the experience around him with the departure of assistant coaches and eventually led to his demise.
Enter Leppa with an outstanding presentation and Peter Scwab was brought in to act as mentor. Leppa rallied the board against this and Schwab then went back to Melbourne as list manager. So in effect Leppa has lived by his own sword.

The number one priority at the moment is employing a Director of Football prior to settling the coach.  In this regard Neil Balme is actively being pursued and if he does not accept looking at Geoff Walsh and David Noble who also have been contacted.

Regarding the coach this is how I see the favourites:
1. Brett Ratten 2. John Barker 3. Stuart Dew 4. Adam Kingsley 5. Matthew Hicks

Brad Scott could be an outside chance given he was approached after the Voss sacking and may be under pressure with his sacking of the 4 veterans but highly unlikely. 

According to reports Mark Williams and Mark Thompson not on hit list but Brenton Sanderson could be an outside chance.

Looking at social media last night a lot of anger being directed to Board so could be an interesting AGM in December. There is consensus that Leppa had to go but anger being directed to Board.

John Barker played for Fitzroy and Brisbane before going to Hawks to answer the other question.

Also watching the presser back as I was out when the announcement was made There seemed to be no real conviction in the voice when Sharples and Swann were asked about the future of Tom Rockliff which concerns me.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-08-29/watch-it-live-press-conference

Agree with the comments directed at board rather than call a meeting of players to inform them they were informed by the impersonal emails. In my opinion not good enough.

As a real outsider for coaching and only those that follow the NEAFL will know reckon John Blair would be a reasonable coach sound efforts with both Morningside and Aspley.

Mat0369

Quote from: Capper on August 30, 2016, 12:28:33 AM
I dont see it in Barker personally, i think he would do better in an established list rather than rebuilding one

He was really impressive last year with a rebuilding list. He had the respect of the players and we did everything we could to keep him. I think he will need a couple of experienced assistants to help him put in the game plan and get it to translate quickly, but he will be a decent coach for a rebuilding club. He might not be the next premiership coach at a side, but he will do the hard yards to get them back on track.

Quote from: Ringo on August 30, 2016, 09:47:01 AM
As a real outsider for coaching and only those that follow the NEAFL will know reckon John Blair would be a reasonable coach sound efforts with both Morningside and Aspley.

There is no way you go and get a NEAFL coach, the AFL would step in before this happens. You may as well go and get a VFL reserves coach if you are going this route because that is the level the NEAFL is at.

If they did want to look at someone that is unheralded from a lower league it's Andy Collins, the guy gets team to play well regardless of where he has coached. The thing is no team will go this route, it's why Ayres hasn't had a job even though Port have dominated.

Ratten won't go to Brisbane, Swan is issue one, I think losing his son last year also means he won't want to leave Vic. I think they are right that Barker is leading the race at the moment. The other candidates would have to be Teague, Tudor and Montgomery. I know Garry Lyon has been calling for a team to make Chris Fagan the head coach for a couple of years. I guess it depends on what job he wants, to coach or to lead the footy department.