Main Menu

The wash up from 2016

Started by shaker, August 29, 2016, 12:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaker

Well the season is over thank goodness and it is a year the Tiges came back to earth with a giant thud just want hear peoples thoughts in how we can go forward next year , Dimma's future , and what went so wrong this season.

Firstly going forward , we must be very active in all drafts this year in the trade period and pick up at least 1 gun Prestia would be great 2 guns even better another mid as it looked very thin in that area this year , another ruck to give Hampson a chop out and for backup is also high on the list even more so with Vickery looking like moving on and try to secure some more draft picks by offering up players like Conca , Edwards , Ellis and any one else that might be worth something clogging up our list but we must try and keep all our core A graders

Secondly Dimma well it looks like he is staying I think that is just prolonging the inevitable I think he will be gone by this time next year myself the performance on the weekend was so bad it points to another very poor year next season I'm tipping we will be bottom 6. The fact that after 7 years of his plan he still can't get players to do the basics of intensity and tackling but lets see what happens with other coaching positions and the development dept. if they don't make major changes we might even be a chance of getting the spoon next year

What went wrong this year well everything and we can't blame injuries we had few compared to other clubs , to much to do for a few players that give it all every week and shuffling or continuing to give games to players that just don't have the ticker but that just highlights our list problem but I would hate to discard to many to find out that it is a coaching problem more than anything , look at the Dogs they were in turmoil 3 years ago and a new coach and a major clean out of the club and now players there that people thought were not really up to it have formed a very formidable combination and I put that down to purely having the right coach

This is not an argument about who is correct about the Tiges just peoples thoughts and opinions .

BigMac_93

We need to bring in young talent, whether it is through the draft or trade period. Prestia will be a good addition but will probably require us to give up pick 6. Not sure we can find a scenario where we go into 2017 with both Prestia & pick 6 which is unfortunate.

There are some good kids available from GWS, the likes of Steele, Tomlinson & Hoskin-Elliot are ones I think we should look at.

Lets not forget aswell that Yarran will essentially be a new recruit next year. Good ball use off half-back is something we need.

I would not trade Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin, Rance or Deledio under any circumstances unless one of them requests a trade.

Brandon Ellis, Conca & Batchelor should be traded if other clubs are interested in my opinion. I would suggest Grigg aswell but we signed him to a contract extension (for whatever reason). Let Vickery go if another club wants him.

Next year aswell I would like to see our young players, such as C. Ellis, Menadue, Markov, Lennon, Drummond, Rioli, Townsend play every week unless they are injured. We need to expose these guys as much as we can to decide which of them will take us forward in the long-term.

Off field issues such as assistant coaches, development & recruitment need to be looked at and changed where possible. Our development I don't believe is up to standard with the top clubs, we must get this area of the footy department right as soon as possible.

And stay away from mature age recruits such as Travis Cloke.

quinny88

Just heard on the couch that every assistant coach at Richmond was sacked. If that's not a statement I don't know what is

kilbluff1985

thoughts on Miles?

might be worth trying to get a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder for him

Nige

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 29, 2016, 10:57:15 PM
thoughts on Miles?

He won't get traded.

Jay

Quote from: Nige on August 29, 2016, 11:02:02 PM
thoughts on Miles?

He won't get traded.
Why not? Richmond should do its due diligence and look into every option they can this off-season. Otherwise they'll just be stuck in this losing cycle. Prestia and Cloke aren't the missing pieces, especially giving up pick 6 for Dion.

Richmond need to go to the draft as their young talent is almost non-existent at the moment, perhaps trade a few of their veterans. Is Dimma the coach who has the job security to execute this plan? Probably not.

Going to be a very interesting summer ahead for the Tiges!

shaker

Imagine if they sacked Dimma even before the contract extension started , the people responsible for it would look ridiculous and they would be following Dimma out the door there is a lot of self arse protecting going on at the Tiges ATM , if there was no extension he would be gone now

As for trading Miles we are already light on inside mids B Ellis should have as much currency as him , hopefully they are talking to GC who are losing mids and can work Ellis into the Prestia deal

Nige

Quote from: Jay on August 30, 2016, 12:58:42 AM
Quote from: Nige on August 29, 2016, 11:02:02 PM
thoughts on Miles?

He won't get traded.
Why not? Richmond should do its due diligence and look into every option they can this off-season. Otherwise they'll just be stuck in this losing cycle. Prestia and Cloke aren't the missing pieces, especially giving up pick 6 for Dion.

Richmond need to go to the draft as their young talent is almost non-existent at the moment, perhaps trade a few of their veterans. Is Dimma the coach who has the job security to execute this plan? Probably not.

Going to be a very interesting summer ahead for the Tiges!
Dion's not the missing piece, but he's a good player and quality acquisition for any club, especially as a 'big name' player. Those types have avoided our club in the past, which is why we're all so excited, but nobody is claiming he's the messiah. Recruiting Cloke wouldn't make sense given we're almost certainly offloading Tyrone. Sure, we need another good tall forward to play alongside Jack. Griffiths is up and down, but has the tools to make it. The best clubs have mutliple options though, we essentially only have Jack. These guys aren't missing pieces, but a puzzle isn't complete until every last piece is in place and recruitments of a gun mid like Dion and a good second/third tall is a necessity.

I wouldn't say our young talent is non-existent, that's a bit of a hyperbole. This year, amongst the rabble, we unveiled some promising youngsters. Menadue, Rioli, Castagna, Markov, Short etc all showed signs of forging fantastic careers. Not every young player is going to be straight up orgasmic like a Patrick Cripps or a Marcus Bontempelli. If anything, the middle tier is the problem, not the youth. Tyrone, Conca, Ellis were first rounders expected to go on and become top line players in their roles/positions but it hasn't happened. Vlastuin's a different case imo because he's being played out of the position in which he's naturally suited imo.

As shaker said, we're not gonna be trading out Miles based on our need for inside mids.

Cotch and Dusty are great at it, but Miles is good for it too and Dion hopefully getting added to that really helps heaps and eases the pressure or Cotch and Dusty.

Ellis is pretty one dimensional and we've got blokes like Castagna, Menadue and McIntosh who can all play on the wing as that outside mid (though I prefer Castagna and McIntosh off half back). I can't think of a player another player who consistently racks up meaningless touches at such high volume.

Ellis will have more currency still imo so I'd rather float him if anything, and I wouldn't be surprised if Reece Conca's also on the table too, despite not having a heap of value through a combination of injuries + poor form.

The problem this year is that pretty much everyone had a poor year. They say a champion team will always beat a team of champions. If you flip and twist that slightly, consider that each of these players on their own are good, but most had ordinary seasons and came under scrutiny after being exposed through the team repeatedly performing badly (in part due to guys like Ellis, Edwards and Conca playing like trash). If the team was doing well and winning games, the poor individual performances could have been masked.

tl;dr - It's a pretty big offseason ahead which is already highlighted by the talk of trading Tyrone, likely recruitment of Prestia and the recent parting with a handful of assistant coaches. There's almost certainly more big decisions to come, but the wheels are in motion on an offseason bound to contain plenty of beneficial change for the club who got a massive wake up call this season.

frenzy

Sorry fellas, but I have the feeling Dion Prestia will cost you substantially more then pick 6 to gain his services. IMO pick 6 this year and 1st round next year or maybe a player like B. Ellis will be closer to the mark. You have to pay overs to get the guns in. Look at Treloar and Danger trades last season. Prestia can nominate the club of choice all he likes, but Gold Coast will set the price and sell to the highest bidder if your offer falls short. Good luck, but you'll need to cough up.

shaker

Quote from: frenzy on August 30, 2016, 06:37:52 PM
Sorry fellas, but I have the feeling Dion Prestia will cost you substantially more then pick 6 to gain his services. IMO pick 6 this year and 1st round next year or maybe a player like B. Ellis will be closer to the mark. You have to pay overs to get the guns in. Look at Treloar and Danger trades last season. Prestia can nominate the club of choice all he likes, but Gold Coast will set the price and sell to the highest bidder if your offer falls short. Good luck, but you'll need to cough up.

Comparing Prestia to Danger is silly they are in different leagues and even Treloar I would rate much higher , Prestia has not risen to an A grader yet because of injuries in the last 2 years , giving up next years first round as well is way overs the way the Tiges are going that could be 1- 4 he is not worth anything like that and if the Tiges are stupid enough to blow trades like that it might be time to follow the Giants  :P

TomK

Quote from: frenzy on August 30, 2016, 06:37:52 PM
You have to pay overs to get the guns in. Look at Treloar and Danger trades last season.
You think Pick 9, Pick 28 and Dean Gore was overs for the best player in the comp? ::)

Capper

Gigantor

Nige

elephants

Haha its a funny article and its even funnier if anyone believes it :P