Main Menu

NAB 1 Review

Started by Mr.Craig, February 18, 2016, 11:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

I'll mostly focus my attention on the fringe players...

Daniel Howe - Extremely impressive and did nothing to lessen my belief he will play Round 1. Pin point kicks, good attack on the ball, ability to find space (12 marks) and conform to defensive patterns. All that combined with his proven ability to push forward and kick goals makes him in my view a worthy replacement for the spot vacated by Suckling.

Billy Hartung - Racked up 21 touches including several during a great link up play along the wing. Did what he does best which is run his opponent off their feet and showed some potential in coming off half back, however he would need to work on the defensive side of his game for that to be a regular occurrence. I didn't see much to suggest he won't continue being a best 22 player and develop his game further now that he's free of the green vest.

Angus Litherland - In contrast to Howe, Lithers was unable to effectively find team mates on a number of occasions as he just hoofed the ball out of defence. 12 kicks and 1 handball for the game tell the story of someone who wasn't able to link up well with others. There were also a couple of times where he was pushed off the ball far too easily. You can't fault his running or endeavour but he doesn't have the defensive abilities of some others nor the attacking weapons. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get games but I do wonder how much he actually brings to the team.

Jonathan O'Rourke - Had a purple patch in the second quarter but I became increasingly frustrated by his performance as the game wore on. 13 of his 17 touches were handballs and he was relatively clean with his disposal, he just needs to do more both on the inside and outside. I really didn't see the intensity you'd expect of someone on the fringe of the 22 who wants to prove he deserves a spot. And if that's what he dishes up against a NAB Cup Carlton side then he's got a long way to go.

James Sicily - Was barely noticed in the first, partly due to Carlton having most of the ball but during the second term he showed exactly why he is in the box seat to fill in for Rough. His sticky hands were on display as was his already trademark aggression. Had a couple of dodgy possessions here and there but much like Gunston tends to do he found himself kicking a goal then minutes later was on the last line of defence. Sicily's ability to perform multiple tasks in multiple areas of the ground that benefit the team will no doubt keep him in the forefront of the coaches minds.

Dallas Willsmore - 10 disposals at 60% is far from a big day out but my general feeling was one of being impressed. Kicked a goal when the heat was out of the game and much like Sicily he found himself playing a role at both ends of the ground. Certainly didn't have a huge impact but he really got stuck in and I don't see a reason why he wouldn't debut at some point this year and maybe even get a handful of games, particularly if injuries open things up.

Tim O'Brien - An insipid first half compounded fears that he he is well below AFL standard. However to his credit Tim came out after the main break and did some good things. There were a couple of precise kicks in the back half, along with some bone rattling tackles and it was capped off by a strong mark and goal (admittedly under less than intense pressure). How much can be read into this given that Carlton had fallen off so much is debatable.

Brendan Whitecross - Was clearly showing signs of his extended lay off with injury but he got through the game unscathed and ran it out well. Where he actually fits in is still a question mark but his skills as a utility will keep him in the mix for selection during the regular season.

Jack Fitzpatrick - Non event in the first half, made a meal of his two chances in front of goal and had a couple of poor moments. On the plus side I thought his ruck work was decent in the second half and 4 contested possessions along with 3 tackles showed he was willing to get his hands dirty. Can't see him getting a game but I saw enough to suggest he won't be awful if required to fill in for McEvoy or Cegs should they get injured.

Kaiden Brand - Outside of Howe I think Brand was close to the best young player out there for us. 6 disposals, 3 marks and 2 tackles from 41% game time is a fantastic return for someone who has spent 12 months on the sidelines. Held his own in one on one contests and used the ball fairly well. Where he sits in relation to Spangher and Heatherley will hopeful become clearer in the next few months at Box Hill.

Kurt Heatherley - A typically dour effort from Kurt. Whether he can progress from merely being a stopper and provide more up the ground remains to be seen. Still very much a work in progress.

Teia Miles - Really didn't put a foot wrong in limited game time. Took a brave mark going back with the flight of the ball and had a nice moment under pressure where his clean hands shone through. The fact remains though that he's behind a couple of guys and still needs to build his body up. Hopefully a strong showing in the seconds will give him a shot at a game in 2017.

Taylor Duryea - Needs a haircut.

It was interesting that not one single 2015 draft pick got the opportunity to play. Would have also been great to see big Shem make his debut. It will happen eventually.

fanTCfool

Thorough wrap Mr. C,

If Daniel Howe does play Round 1 I would very much like to have him in my side, problem is his price has just flown out a little too far for my liking.

Billy Hartung looked the goods to me too, hard not to see him becoming a starter this year.

Is Brand any sort of chance to line up? Or does it entirely come down to the other options around him?

Mr.Craig

Quote from: fanTCfool on February 19, 2016, 12:07:58 AM
Thorough wrap Mr. C,

If Daniel Howe does play Round 1 I would very much like to have him in my side, problem is his price has just flown out a little too far for my liking.

Billy Hartung looked the goods to me too, hard not to see him becoming a starter this year.

Is Brand any sort of chance to line up? Or does it entirely come down to the other options around him?

Along with his tenuous JS I think Howe's scoring would be too up and down to consider, particularly given what you'd pay for him.

Brand will almost certainly spend the whole year in the VFL unless we are desperate. Might get a bit of time in 2017 with the aim of regular games from 2018 onwards.

Scrads

Howe was very impressive, which included at least one time I noticed in particular he was able to execute a desperate lunging spoil to stop a Carlton player marking the ball inside 50.

Think you were a bit harsh on Lithers, but if this keeps up Howe will definitely be the preferred option come round 1.

Hartung again was good. I'll be shocked if he plays less than 15 games for us this year aside from forced time out.

Fitzpatrick showed he'll be not-dismal ruck/forward depth. Hope he does well at Box Hill.

I'll be shocked if Sicily doesn't get the nod for Roughy in the first half of the season.

Schoey I didn't think was great, what was his TOG like?

No idea what approach we'll take into the next game, I'd like to see at least Lovell get a game though and I'm guessing Cegs will get a run too.