The "Mankad", do you approve of it?

Started by PowerBug, February 02, 2016, 11:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/under-19-world-cup-mankad-west-indies-keemo-paul-richard-ngarava-darren-lehmann-jos-buttler/2016-02-02

I read this and I ask myself one question, why the controversy? I cant tell if he was actually out of his ground by the still pictures but it's a legal type of dismissal. Unlucky for Zimbabwe but that's cricket. No hate towards what the bowler and fielding captain did there.

Bill Manspeaker

I guess it comes down to the spirit of the game, kinda similar to 'the underarm ball'.

imo, I think the bowler should warn the batsman first. like if there's only a couple runs to win off a couple of balls, and the batsman is getting a massive headstart, the bowler says "do it again and I'll mankad you"

Capper

yeah i thought that the player had to be warned first

Ringo

If no warning previously given than bad sportsmanship but if warning given all fair.

PowerBug

There's no need to give a warning, the laws do not state it. Obviously doing so goes against the "spirit of cricket" but I mean the spirit of cricket says don't sledge and Aussies can't go on a field now without doing that... Players edge the ball and don't walk, that's not in the spirit of the game but widely accepted.

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on February 03, 2016, 01:19:41 PM
I guess it comes down to the spirit of the game, kinda similar to 'the underarm ball'.

imo, I think the bowler should warn the batsman first. like if there's only a couple runs to win off a couple of balls, and the batsman is getting a massive headstart, the bowler says "do it again and I'll mankad you"
That's the position that this happened in. 6 balls, 3 runs, 1 wicket. Why warn them if they are trying to gain extra cm? Just get them out I say, it's in the laws as being legal ;)

Bill Manspeaker

yeah I get it's in the rules and it's legal and all that, but there's something about it that doesn't seem right. in the video it's not like the guy was a metre or 2 down the pitch, he was barely out. now I dunno if the bowler had said something to him previously, but it's not like he was getting a big headstart

imo it's not comparable to a nick, that's why the umpire is there and it's his job to give a batsman out

but like I said, if the batsman had been warned by the bowler then the wicket is fine by me

fanTCfool

Got given out mankad in Indoor Cricket once, and the bowler wasn't in his 'natural bowling action' which I believe also has to be the case, or something along the lines?

PowerBug

Quote from: fanTCfool on February 03, 2016, 05:02:31 PM
Got given out mankad in Indoor Cricket once, and the bowler wasn't in his 'natural bowling action' which I believe also has to be the case, or something along the lines?
I believe in Indoor they HAVE to be in their bowling action, whilst in outdoor it has to be before they make their delivery stride. So they are opposites.

Ringo

Beat me to it PB in outdoor a batsmen can not be mankadded once into his delivery stride.  Think they changed it to this around 2000 whereas previously you could run out during your action.   Remember mankad has been legal and been around since 1947. 

Bill Manspeaker

and there's another reason why I don't think a nick is comparable. same with LB decisions . Warner given LBW when the ball is clearly missing the stumps. so it goes both ways, some days they get lucky, other days they get unlucky