Main Menu

WBD Betting Scandal

Started by eg6914, March 19, 2015, 08:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eg6914

Herald sun reporting Lachie Hunter and another player (from VFL) have been involved in betting in the Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs preseason game :'(

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-to-investigate-claims-some-western-bulldogs-players-allegedly-backed-team-to-lose/story-fni5fazt-1227270076759?from=herald+sun_rss

Big Mac

Lol they almost lost the bet

Mr.Craig

eg6914

Mr.Craig

eg6914

AaronKirk

When Mark Hunter's name is raised I think their could be an issue. He has form.

He put a 10k bet on for Damien Oliver a few years ago on a different horse to which Ollie was riding. The horse Hunter backed for Ollie got the win and Ollie's mount ran third.

All I'll say is that hopefully the Bulldogs players in question are cleared. The club is clearly going to struggle this year and they don't need this. There are now serious criminal convictions (jail time) for match-fixing and bans would be lengthy, if not for life.

Hope this is cleared up for the Dogs quickly.

eg6914

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-2...gation/6334894

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has described the initial reaction to the AFL's investigation into two players' betting activities as hysterical.

The AFL is investigating bets placed by a Bulldogs AFL-listed player and VFL-listed player last Saturday afternoon.

Gordon said the investigation needs to be allowed to run its course and that the two players at the centre of the probe may not have committed a breach.

"Don't assume that this is some kind of great bookie robbery type conspiracy," Gordon said on ABC 774 Melbourne on Friday morning.

"This is young men having a bet on Saturday afternoon and something erroneous may have occurred."

Gordon said the two players self-reported their acts and the matter was promptly passed on to the AFL's Integrity Unit that afternoon.

"On the facts that are currently available to the club there may have been no breach by either of those players. Let's let the investigation run its course.

"It is entirely possible that the facts when they are disclosed, that it is nothing like the initial hysterical reaction that came out yesterday."

Gordon said he does not believe there is a problematic gambling culture at the Bulldogs but said betting on horses is popular among the Bulldogs and AFL players in general.

"Betting is endemic to the culture," he said.

"I do not believe there is a particular problem with the Western Bulldogs and I certainly believe our players understand the gaming rules and the betting rules for the AFL."

Gordon does not expect the AFL Integrity Unit's investigation to take long and once completed the club will undertake its own investigation