The All Time NBA Dynasty Draft

Started by Jay, February 13, 2015, 06:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Been a while since we've done one of these, and I found a new concept that we haven't already done so why not.. Reply if you're interested.

RULES
-You get the player for the exact amount of time he played in real life. For example, if you draft Michael Jordan then you get a player who will be injured his second season who will retire after his 9th season, come back wth 17 games remaining 2 years later, retire again in 3 years, and then come back for 2 more years at age 38. The reason that I want to do it this way is because it will result is us ranking the actual real life value of each player's career. It also make the #1 pick much much more interesting.

-Assume that every older player will be just as effective today as they were in their day. We need to make things this way in order to avoid the debate of "how will older stars hold up in today's game" becoming the central theme of the entire draft. With that said, realise that does not mean that they get the same stats. For example, if the average starting Center avearged 15 rebounds in one era, and Player X averaged 15 rebounds, then you should assume he'd average the league average starting center rebounds in our league and NOT assume that he would put up exactly 15 per game.

-With current players, you need to estimate how the rest of their career will turn out. I think this will make things very interesting when trying to evaluate many younger players against older guys who are more certain commodities.

-The point of this draft is to learn a lot about past generations of NBA stars. Because of that, it is absolutely recommended that you do a good and informative writeup at the time of your pick, especially when taking any pre-1980 player.

-You will be required to draft an 8 man rotation.. A starting 5, followed by a reserve guard, wing and big man.

-Mat and Valk have agreed to judge once the draft is complete

-Draft will be in snake order. No limit on participants. I'll randomise a draft order once we have a good number.

Current Participants:
Jayman
Riotchess
AFEV
Cookie Monster
Levis
Holz

Obviously I won't go ahead if there's barely any interest but can't hurt to put some feelers out. If you guys would just prefer to do a simpler style draft, then I'd be open to modifying the rules but would be cool to do something a bit different..

Jay

1. Levis - Kareem Abdul Jabaar
2. Cookie Monster - Michael Jordan
3. Riotchess - Shaquille O'Neal
4. AFEV - Tim Duncan
5. Jayman - LeBron James
6. Holz - Magic Johnson
7. Holz - Bill Russell
8. Jayman - Hakeem Olajuwon
9. AFEV - Wilt Chamberlain
10. Riotchess - Kobe Bryant
11. Cookie Monster - Karl Malone
12. Levis - Larry Bird
13. Levis - Oscar Robertson
14. Cookie Monster - Kevin Durant
15. Riotchess - Kevin Garnett
16. AFEV - Jerry West
17. Jayman - Dirk Nowitzki
18. Holz - Julius Erving
19. Holz - John Havlicek
20. Jayman - John Stockton
21. AFEV - Jason Kidd
22. Riotchess - Scottie Pippen
23. Cookie Monster - Moses Malone
24. Levis - Steve Nash
25. Levis - Elgin Baylor
26. Cookie Monster - Isiah Thomas
27. Riotchess - Ray Allen
28. AFEV - Rick Barry
29. Jayman - Dwyane Wade
30. Holz - Charles Barkley
31. Holz - David Robinson
32. Jayman - Patrick Ewing
33. AFEV - Allen Iverson
34. Riotchess - Steph Curry
35. Cookie Monster - Dominique Wilkins
36. Levis - Pete Maravich
37. Levis - George Mikan
38. Cookie Monster - Clyde Drexler
39. Riotchess - Anthony Davis
40. AFEV - Dikembe Mutombo
41. Jayman - Dennis Rodman
42. Holz - Bob Cousy
43. Holz - George Gervin
44. Jayman - Reggie Miller
45. AFEV - James Worthy
46. Riotchess - Paul Pierce
47. Cookie Monster - Nate Thurmond
48. Levis - Bernard King

Jay

Team Levis
PG: Oscar Robertson
SG: Steve Nash
SF: Elgin Baylor
PF: Larry Bird
C: Kareem Abdul Jabaar
Guard: Pete Maravich
Wing: Bernard King
Big Man: George Mikan

Team Cookie Monster
PG: Isiah Thomas
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Karl Malone
C: Moses Malone
Guard: Clyde Drexler
Wing: Dominique Wilkins
Big Man: Nate Thurmond

Team Riotchess
PG: Steph Curry
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Scottie Pippen
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Shaquille O'Neal
Guard: Ray Allen
Wing: Paul Pierce
Big Man: Anthony Davis

Team AFEV
PG: Jason Kidd
SG: Jerry West
SF: Rick Barry
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Wilt Chamberlain
Guard: Allen Iverson
Wing: James Worthy
Big Man: Dikembe Mutombo

Team Jayman
PG: John Stockton
SG: Dwyane Wade
SF: LeBron James
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Hakeem Olajuwon
Guard: Reggie Miller
Wing: Dennis Rodman
Big Man: Patrick Ewing

Team Holz
PG: Magic Johnson
SG: John Havlicek
SF: Julius Erving
PF: Charles Barkley
C: Bill Russell
Guard: Bob Cousy
Wing: George Gervin
Big Man: David Robinson

AFEV

Cookie Monster

Jay

Quote from: Cookie Monster on February 14, 2015, 11:49:09 AM
Sounds good, I'm kn  ;D
Quote from: AFEV on February 14, 2015, 08:24:33 AM
In. :)
Awesome! Hopefully a few of the others join in and we get a decent number of participants  :D

Levis43

Sounds like a great idea!  :)

Count Me In.

Jay

Alright looking at a Wednesday night start :)

Jay

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and open the draft. 5 participants, 8 picks each.

List Randomizer

There were 5 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Levis
Cookie Monster
Riotchess
AFEV
Jayman
Timestamp: 2015-02-17 10:44:52 UTC

Kick it off when you're ready, Levis :)

Cookie Monster

Jay

Quote from: Cookie Monster on February 17, 2015, 09:49:59 PM
Damn! :(
Bloody second pick.
Perfect spot to be imo. I reckon there's a clear top 2 in this and you get one ;)

Levis43

Pick 1: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Position: Center Height: 7-2 Weight: 225 lbs.

Career: 24.6 PPG 11.2 RPG

All time leading scorer in NBA history. Played 20 total seasons so suits well for a long time. Didn't miss many games in his career, in fact he never played under 60 games. Posseses the most unstoppable move in history. 6 time MVP. 19 time All Star.

Jay

Quote from: Levis43 on February 17, 2015, 09:52:39 PM
Pick 1: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Position: Center Height: 7-2 Weight: 225 lbs.

Career: 24.6 PPG 11.2 RPG

All time leading scorer in NBA history. Played 20 total seasons so suits well for a long time. Didn't miss many games in his career, in fact he never played under 60 games. Posseses the most unstoppable move in history. 6 time MVP. 19 time All Star.
Yep he was my #1 in this particular format. His longevity is a huge advantage over everyone else.

Cookie Monster

My first pick, and how can you not go with the goat, the best ever, come fly with me..

Michael Jordan

As many may know he was cut from his high school basketball team, and from then on, didn't miss a beat. Went to North Carolina college and was then first known for a game winning three in the national championship game.

The Chicago Bulls picked him up in the National Draft of 1984 with the 3rd pick. In his first season with the franchise played and started all 82 games with an average of 38.3 minutes and 28.2 points a game. Winning Rookie of the year.

Jordan played a total of 15 seasons, 2 of them he played only 17 games but the rest he was over 60. He averaged a 30.1 points a game over his career. 6 time NBA Champion, 6 time NBA Finals MVP, 5 time NBA MVP, 14 time NBA All-Star.

Although he didn't have the longevity of Kareem. He is still the greatest ever, and i think anyone would be silly not to pick him early.

Jay

Holz couldn't resist. He's joining the draft and will be coming in at pick 6 :)