EXV predictions thread.

Started by Holz, January 14, 2013, 04:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

Ziplock

Since there was a bit of discussion over my ranking placement of Spain and England, I'll be doing them next ;)

Ziplock

Team: English Lions
Coach: JB Hawks
Predicted Ranking and Average Score: 12th, 1347

Scoring Breakdown including captain bonus:
Back   B. Smith   70
Back   S. Atley   70
Back   Butler   75
Back   Hampton   70
Mid   Beams   214
Mid   Zaharakis   90
Mid   Shuey   90
Mid   Parker   90
Ruck   Smith   83
Fwd   Hurley   70
Fwd   Wright   80
Fwd   Deboer   90
Fwd   Howe   80
Util   Porplyzia   80
Util   Steven   95

Analysis:
England is yet another young team that has seen several coaches go through- it certainly shows a lot of promise, but at the same time is nowhere close to being truly competitive at the moment. However, it definitely has a very solid core side, it might need just a couple more quality youngsters, but JB should easily be able to pick them up this year with his high draft picks.

Back:
Are, unfortunately quite weak. That being said, definitely have potential. Smith and Atley should be coming through in the next brigade of premium defenders, butler however isn't exactly a spring chicken, and he's only ever had reasonable scoring in one season. Hamptons a bit of a punt- the Valkyries actually chased after him in the first two trade periods, since we knew he was going to be given dpp, but unfortunately couldn't secure him. The issue with Hampton is that he's currently playing more of a swingman role, meaning a lot of inconsistent scores can be expected from him. That being said, atm I see him being groomed as a rebounding defender... for a bloke of he's height he's quite athletic- hence why he was taken as a 17 yo selection. He'll be a good player, but DTer.. who knows.

Decent youth on the bench as well, Davis for cover, Darley, Hibberd, Shaw for scoring. Could really be a machine line.

Mids:
Not going to lie, I don't rate beams this year- hence my expected drop in his average down to 107. He'll be back to 110+ probably in 2014/5, but this year... I don't see it. Zaha, Shuey and Parker are all stars of the future. I might have underrated shuey a little, but Zaha I think is about spot on, while Parker has probably been overrated a little. If Rischitelli comes back to his best, I'd expect him to be taking the field. Steven's another young gun, but probs wont average a ton in an ageing saints team.

Mitchell, Beams, Longeran, Hine are all future beasts, and Kerr's solid cover.

Rucks:
Unfortunately, first  time I'm going to say I'm not a fan of a teams ruckline. Smith I've been generous to tbh, 83 is achievable by him, but not super likely. Hampson gets played more as a forward, and a very average one, while west is going to have to fight with Vardy for no.2 ruck behind Hmac for a few years. Campbell is still developing. Maybe a good line in 3 years, but atm... pass for me.

Fwds:
Probably one of the more impressive lines. Hurley I don't particularly rate, but to be fair he's had his run of injuries, so I'm backing him in for a career best season this year. Wright's a small forward, and I'm doubtful on his scoring, especially since he should be getting less midfield time. Deboer is good, but probably wont retain dpp for long- that being said, will be great at 90+. Howe should easily hit 80 this year. Porplyzia I've probably overrated a touch, but 80 is achievable.

The forward youth is very impressive, elliot, kennedy, menzel, day, murdoch, saad, lycett, you'd expect at least 3 stars out of that. Definite kudos on building the future there.

Strengths:
The midfield is a definite strength. Great talent, already solid scorers, it should be very scary in a couple of years. The forward lines potential definitely shouldn't be overlooked either- both of those are very impressive. This year however, they're going to be average at best.
Weaknesses:
The ruckline. It could come good, but rucks are so hit and miss. I'm just not a fan. For immediate scoring though, the backline is shocking- should be great in the future, but atm... not so much. I'm not actually sure what I should suggest for drafting options next year, most things seem to be covered... I'd consider trading the first round nat and first round rook for a premium, youngish ruck perhaps, and using the second round picks on talented midfielders/ defenders, just to round it out a little bit more.

How to win the flag:
Seriously, not going to happen this  year. You'd need break outs from pretty much every player on the team, it's just extremely unlikely. That being said, in a couple of years, completely plausible. I really rate this line up.

Justin Bieber

Yes the sons are winning :P.

Jack Steven is assively overrated with high of 83.

Good youth though.

Ziplock

Team: Greek Titans
Coach: Spinking
Predicted Ranking and Average Score: 13th, 1255

Back   Vlaustuin   65
Back   B Ellis   65
Back   Tapscott   65
Back   Myers   70
Mid   Sidebottom   210
Mid   Hannebery   90
Mid   Scully   90
Mid   Liberatore   80
Ruck   Jolly   81
Fwd   Patton   60
Fwd   Hall   60
Fwd   Giansiracusa   70
Fwd   Smedts   69
Util   Coniglio   85
Util   Black   95

Analysis:
Leaving aside the Fyfe trade, which was an atrocity that never should have ever gone through, the titans have done ok this off season. Left with an ageing list in shambles, which contained far too many port adelaide players to be comfortably with, spink and his team have tried, to the best of their ability, rebuild

Back:
This would have to be the worst defensive line I've seen so far. Vlaustin, Tapscott, Myers all have questionable job security, and Vlaustin, despite being a high draft pick, is a very average fantasy player. The cover isn't much better- kennedy and harwood should get a fair few games, but are poor scorers, while colq and campbell will be fighting it out, but apart from that, I would be surprised if siggins and mcintosh got 3 games between them. I'd expect to see a fair few OOP players in the defensive line for the titans this year.

for the future... It might be ok. Ellis, Vlaustin, Colq should be solid for the future, so you only need really one more to be ok. Currently though, it's not looking good.
Mids:
Probably where the titans excel. Scully, Coniglio, Hannebery and Libba I'm tipping to have little break outs this year, and sidey is already a quasi premium. Black will be a solid scorer if you can avoid the vests. The cover is good as well, toumpas, shiel, mckenzie, lucas, ross for the youth, as well as morabito if he ever recovers. Pearce, Hunt and Corey for cover now. It's a reasonable line.
Rucks:
Pretty concerning. This will probably be jollys last, maybe second last season if he's lucky, and Longer + Redden, while being good and promising, are definitely not first ruck material atm. Going to need a bit of luck here.

Fwds:
Patton will be a star of the future, as will hoskin-elliot and smith (4 giant forward including tomlinson is a bit concerning. Gia's nearly done however, smedts should be ok. Atkins won't be getting a game this year, Milera is good cover, but probably won't ever be a premium. Another really concerning line.
Strengths:
The youth? There's a lot of potential in this team, but so much of it is untried which is a bit concerning. The mids are probably sorted for now however, that's certainly looking pretty solid

Weaknesses:
Somehow, somewhere Greece needs to snare themselves another ruck asap. The forwards are backs probably need one more young talented player each, I'd use the first round picks on those places, and try to grab a bargain ruck somewhere.

How to win the flag:

is just not going to happen this year, atm, I dont see the titans having any substantial 70+ backs or forwards, basically, at this point, even if all 6 mids broke out to dane swans level, they still would only be ranked 3rd. I just can't see it happening. In 3 years, at the earliest, unless they do some exceedingly impressive trading. Lets be honest, I've been extremely optimistic with vlaustin, tapscott and pattons averages to start with.

Best of luck boys, but I can't see 2013 being the year for you.

JBs-Hawks

Underrating a few of my players i reckon Zip. Shuey to push 105, zaha anywhere between 95-105, beamer to go 115+.

Hurley isnt in my starting 15 either, Riska is.

Spinking

Thanks for that Zip. I'd largely agree on the analysis. I wasn't involved in the Fyfe trade but in the end I'm satisfied that it gave us a number of quality players in exchange for one premium. It's a risk that I hope pays off!

We will definitely just be making up the numbers this season although I'm hopeful that if we get all cattle on the park we might keep some of the finals contenders honest. Our strategy was primarily around bringing in players who would increase in value as we didn't have the firepower to win a flag, but didn't have many developing players.

Very fair feedback. Thanks!

Ziplock

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on January 20, 2013, 09:00:45 PM
Underrating a few of my players i reckon Zip. Shuey to push 105, zaha anywhere between 95-105, beamer to go 115+.

Hurley isnt in my starting 15 either, Riska is.

is riska a forward?

all comes down to personal opinions, but at most one of those will happen this year.

JBs-Hawks

No but im not going to play porps in the utility position ;)

Ziplock

Quote from: Spinking on January 20, 2013, 09:10:17 PM
Thanks for that Zip. I'd largely agree on the analysis. I wasn't involved in the Fyfe trade but in the end I'm satisfied that it gave us a number of quality players in exchange for one premium. It's a risk that I hope pays off!

We will definitely just be making up the numbers this season although I'm hopeful that if we get all cattle on the park we might keep some of the finals contenders honest. Our strategy was primarily around bringing in players who would increase in value as we didn't have the firepower to win a flag, but didn't have many developing players.

Very fair feedback. Thanks!

yeah, I figured that, hope it works.

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on January 20, 2013, 09:42:05 PM
No but im not going to play porps in the utility position ;)

annd ahhh. Makes sense.

providing riska gets back :P

Justin Bieber

Ziplock

just remembered I meant to do spain, to show england why I rated the stallions slightly above them :P

Ziplock

Team: Spanish Stallions
Coach: Torpedo10
Predicted Ranking and Average Score: 11 12th, 1351 1336

Back   Heppell   95
Back   Duigan   60
Back   Clarke   65
Back   N Smith   70
Mid   Dangerfield   100
Mid   Rich   90
Mid   Kennedy   100
Mid   Omeara   80
Ruck   Naitanui   90
Fwd   Franklin   210
Fwd   Darling   90
Fwd   McGlynn   75
Fwd   Crameri   68
Util   Hale   83
Util   Jetta   80 60

Analysis:
Yet another victim of the Bashers trading.
Priddis + Wright + Nat 15 for Danger + Obrien + Jetta

It's at this point I realise I've mistaken Leroy for Lewis on the team list, and infact, that would put the stallions at 12th, not 11th. None the less, an analysis is due :P I moved captaincy to franklin as well.
Back:
Spain is basically being carried by heppell here. Clarke is a 70 player at best . Duigan at 60 is about right, and I've probably been generous to smith. Docherty, Baguley are the only bench players of worth as well. It's a very, very poor backline- for both now and for the future.

Mids:
Some recovery made in the mids. Dangerfield is 100+, although not much more from my count. Same with kennedy, for this year anyway. Rich at 90 is probably a bit generous- he isn't a huge possession getter. Big call on O'meara for 80+, but I think he should be able to pull it off. the cover is *alright*, as in for this year, it's terrible, but in future with kavanagh, miles, macrae, it should end up forming nicely.
Rucks:
Probably the only decent line in the time. Nic Nat is injured, but he'll come back at 80+ nonetheless. Moller is going to be good for the future. Hales ok, and Spain is going to really need him for the first couple of months. Mccauley is good cover for hale
Fwds:
Franklin is a beast, and  I rate darling. Apart from that, it's a bit touch and go. Mcglynn is amazingly mediocre. Crameri's pretty much the same, as is jetta. Obrien might be ok, same with karnezis and kersten if lucky. Apart from that, not much of note- macraes already been mentioned as decent.

Strengths: The rucks are average, which for the Stallions, is pretty good. The Mids are ok, so that's a definite plus- you can build around those two lines

Weaknesses:
Forwards and backs are both shocking looking atm. There's some elite players in their, but they're supported by mediocre- poor dters. It reminiscent of gary ablett and gc, but without the same potential. These two lines are immediate concerns that need to be addressed over the next two drafts, which seems to be a going trend in the bottom teams.
How to win the flag: absolutely not happening. This team isn't the worst, but its B grade players just don't have the potential to break out into decent players as of yet.

nostradamus

Another late night review Zip......well done man  8)

......hey have you posted your new Z haircut yet?

elephants

Haha, Zip it doesnt matter how much you complain, dog and whine the trades won't be changed ::)