2021 Rookies

Started by SilverLion, December 23, 2020, 12:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfitty

Quote from: Wanderer on March 10, 2021, 06:46:36 PM
Paddy Ryder taking personal leave. Does this open things up for rookie Paul Hunter?

You would think so - even once Marshall comes back.

Gawn and Hunter/Flynn tempting..

Ringo

Quote from: jfitty on March 10, 2021, 06:48:35 PM
Paddy Ryder taking personal leave. Does this open things up for rookie Paul Hunter?

Just remember though Marshall is possibly just a couple of weeks away which may effect Hunter

Wanderer

Quote from: Ringo on March 10, 2021, 06:53:08 PM

Just remember though Marshall is possibly just a couple of weeks away which may effect Hunter

Marshall expected back between rounds 2-4, so we will get an initial price increase from Hunter as number one ruck, then he will be relegated to backup. Marshall won't ruck the whole game solo coming back from a foot injury. They will most likely ease him in. It all depends on the other ruck rookie options vs Hunter at a juicy price of $102,400.

bkimm32

I’d say mckernan goes out when Marshall comes back as they both play that ruck/forward role, Hunter will be the #1 ruck until paddy returns I’d say

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: bkimm32 on March 10, 2021, 08:00:21 PM

I’d say mckernan goes out when Marshall comes back as they both play that ruck/forward role, Hunter will be the #1 ruck until paddy returns I’d say

I think it's the opposite - McKernan can play fwd and ruck, whereas Hunter can only ruck, so I'd be going with Roma/Smack until Ryder returns

Obviously I could be wrong, but Hunter looks like a massive trap to me

Meek and Flynn are the only rookie rucks I'm looking at, and Flynn R3/Briggs D is what I've settled on as one will play and the other can be my loophole, and if Meek looks a must after 2 rounds then I will reassess and look to get him

Samsturmfels

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 10, 2021, 10:50:01 PM
Quote from: bkimm32 on March 10, 2021, 08:00:21 PM

I think it's the opposite - McKernan can play fwd and ruck, whereas Hunter can only ruck, so I'd be going with Roma/Smack until Ryder returns

Obviously I could be wrong, but Hunter looks like a massive trap to me

Meek and Flynn are the only rookie rucks I'm looking at, and Flynn R3/Briggs D is what I've settled on as one will play and the other can be my loophole, and if Meek looks a must after 2 rounds then I will reassess and look to get him
I was thinking the same about Mckernan.

Mat0369

Quote from: justaverage on March 10, 2021, 04:24:42 PM
My rucks may become Grunter Flynn  ::)

I actually had that a fortnight ago and then Flynn didn't play in the last game and Briggs looked good, changed the structure entirely but the rest of my team looked amazing with Flynn at R2 and Hunter R3

Mat0369

McKernan is bloody awful. I know it's about structure but the wraps on Hunter have been huge and I can't see them throwing Marshall in for 70% ruck time with stress fractures in his foot. I think Hunter is a viable R3 option with Ryder out and I would pick him over Meek. If Flynn was named for Round 1 that changes things a little bit as he looks to have the best chance of making a spot his own long term. I'm going to value the cash gen early over the loophole.

bkimm32

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 10, 2021, 11:37:36 PM
McKernan is bloody awful. I know it's about structure but the wraps on Hunter have been huge and I can't see them throwing Marshall in for 70% ruck time with stress fractures in his foot. I think Hunter is a viable R3 option with Ryder out and I would pick him over Meek. If Flynn was named for Round 1 that changes things a little bit as he looks to have the best chance of making a spot his own long term. I'm going to value the cash gen early over the loophole.
There’s just no way Saints put that load on Marshall again, especially coming off a significant injury. We recruited Ryder for a reason.

Bully

Hunter's stats in the SANFL are huge, clearly he's a workhorse, I would expect at least half a dozen games & I'd expect him to score strongly. Ryder is ageing, Marshall has stress fractures, McKernan is a spud.

On the topic of Flynn, he's dominated the NEAFL, do we have any other stats on the guy? I can't get it out of my head that Mummy will come back from the dead.

bkimm32

Quote from: Bully on March 11, 2021, 03:39:56 AM
Hunter's stats in the SANFL are huge, clearly he's a workhorse, I would expect at least half a dozen games & I'd expect him to score strongly. Ryder is ageing, Marshall has stress fractures, McKernan is a spud.

On the topic of Flynn, he's dominated the NEAFL, do we have any other stats on the guy? I can't get it out of my head that Mummy will come back from the dead.
McKernan hasn’t looked too bad in the pre season. Has a nice set of hands and looks okay around the ground. There’s worse ruck/forwards in the league.

Bully

Paul Hunter $102,400 RUC

SC Average: 136 (Nine matches, SANFL)

AAMI Series score: 77 (76 per cent TOG)

An injury to Rowan Marshall saw former Adelaide Hunter elevated onto the St Kilda list via the pre-season supplementary selection period. The 28-year-old earned his spot with a strong showing in the ruck for the Saints’ ‘A’ side in a recent internal trial. Hunter was also prominent early against Carlton without Paddy Ryder â€" who has since taken personal leave from the club â€" tallying 13 disposals, 23 hit-outs and 77 KFC SuperCoach points. It means the ruck reins are Hunter’s for the taking until Marshall returns. The ruckman produced some insane SANFL numbers in 2020, averaging a whopping 136 KFC SuperCoach points along with 16.6 disposals, 11.6 contested possessions, 30.3 hit-outs and 4.7 clearances across nine games for South Adelaide.

SC verdict: If he keeps his spot in the side for longer than the first month, Hunter could be the best ruck rookie of 2021. But does he make way as soon as Marshall returns in the early rounds? Probably, which makes it tough to start him if Flynn and Meek are both named.

Lloyd Meek $123,900 RUCK

SC average: 87 (WAFL 2019)

AAMI Series score: 75 (83 per cent TOG)

Meek, 22, has been waiting in the wings for some time now and an injury to Sean Darcy could see him make his long-awaited debut. The ruckman impressed around the ground during the Dockers’ trial match against West Coast while assuming the No.1 ruck mantle. Perhaps more significantly, Meek held his own competing against the athletic Nic Naitanui in the AAMI Series, until the reigning All-Australian ruckman was rested. The 203cm tall finished with 12 disposals, five clearances, 18 hitouts and 75 points in an encouraging showing, after he averaged 87 KFC SuperCoach points in seven WAFL games in 2019.

SC verdict: The fresh concerns surrounding Flynn â€" both injury wise and his claims to the No.1 ruck role â€" mean Meek could be the top ruck rookie. Personally, I feel that Flynn is still ahead, but Meek is the logical pick if Flynn is left out in Round 1.

Matthew Flynn $123,900 RUC

SC Average: N/A

AAMI Series score: DNP

Drafted as a project ruckman way back in 2015, Flynn is in the box seat to take the ruck reins and make his long-awaited debut following a pre-season blow to Braydon Preuss. The former Demon could miss half the season, giving Flynn the opportunity to shine for SuperCoaches. After playing as the Giants’ number one ruckman in their first practice match, coaches were shocked to see Flynn miss the Community Series with an ankle setback. The injury is only minor, and he appears likely to face the Saints in their season opener, but will the performance of fellow ruckman Kieran Briggs as Flynn’s replacement change the Giants’ thinking? Flynn has scoring pedigree in the state leagues, averaging above 95 KFC SuperCoach points in his last two NEAFL seasons in 2018 and 2019.

SC verdict: Some coaches â€" including your truly â€" may have jumped the gun on Flynn. He has the potential to be the best rookie of the bunch, akin to Reilly O’Brien and Marc Pittonet in previous seasons, but we need some certainty on his Round 1 spot, given the Giants play on the Sunday. Go with him as your R3 for now, with Lloyd Meek on standby.

Bully

The ruck situation at R3 will be interesting if Flynn doesn't get named. Even if he does he will be facing Hunter who I think has more runs on the board.

Meek has Darcy breathing down his neck, fraught with danger I would have thought.

I'm so tempted by Hunter and I don't think Marshall will be back anytime soon, stress fractures can be a son of a dog to manage. St Kilda probably know this too, that's why they put Hunter straight onto the main list (bypassing the rookie list). Clearly they expect him to play 6-10 games this year.

Mat0369

You won't know if Flynn is named by the time Meek plays unless they announce it earlier in the week. I'd have Flynn and shift to Hunter if he doesn't play

Bully

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 11, 2021, 03:10:26 PM
You won't know if Flynn is named by the time Meek plays unless they announce it earlier in the week. I'd have Flynn and shift to Hunter if he doesn't play

Probs have to select Flynn if named but I suspect he's still a week off, that will be the real head scratcher. Do you risk Briggs for a week? What happens if Hunter towels him up & he becomes that annoying nothing man at D8. There's also a chance Mummy gets called up, so Flynn might not be the safe bet after all.