The All Time NBA Dynasty Draft

Started by Jay, February 13, 2015, 06:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFEV

Michael Jordan wasn't so much cut from his high school team as he didn't make varsity when he was 15 (who does) but instead was the centrepiece of his JV team.

Just saying. :P

Cookie Monster

Was told he didn't make it, cut from the tryouts  :P

RiOtChEsS

AFEV

Old Man Riverwalk, Tim Duncan.

The exact personality that you want to build a stable, enduring dynasty around. Duncan is consistent and reliable both on and off the court, and is the focal point of the greatest modern dynasty.
Top 20 all time for minutes played, Duncan is an incredibly combative and effective athlete. He may lack the flash and dynamism of some superstars of his day, but along with Kareem is in my opinion the bestp layer consistency wise.

60+ games in 15/17 (lockout) completed seasons so far, meaning that we can rely on Duncan to carry us from season to season.

Career Stats: Average (total)
19.7 PTS (25,598), 2.2 BPG (2,883), 3.1 AST (3,973), 11 REB (14,416)

Notable Seasons:
98/99 (2nd), 01/02 (4th), 02/03 (5th)

Awards & Accolades:
5x NBA Champion, 3x Finals MVP, 2x MVP, 15x AS, 10x NBA First Team, 8x Defensive First Team, RoTY

AFEV

Also semi important question for the future, do we get players during their College/ABA years? Could be important for certain guys.

Jay

Quote from: AFEV on February 18, 2015, 09:10:44 PM
Also semi important question for the future, do we get players during their College/ABA years? Could be important for certain guys.
College doesn't count, you get them right from when they start their professional career (ABA/NBA). So with Duncan you get a 21 year old rookie, all the seasons he's played exactly and a projection on how the rest of his career will play out.

With ABA though, you'll have to determine how much a player's stats would change going from ABA to NBA in those years.

RiOtChEsS

love the TD pick, considered him, longevity n consistency is very impressive

Jay

LeBron James

Career stats: 27.4 points @ 50% shooting, 7.1 rebounds, 6.9 assists, 1.7 steals, 0.8 blocks
Player Efficiency Rating: 27.7 (ranks #2 all-time)

Already one of the best all-round players ever, and is still operating at an MVP level. The season prior to LeBron being drafted to Cleveland, the Cavs only won 17 games. In his rookie year, they improved to 35 wins. In his final year with the Cavs, they won 61 games. The year after he left, they only won 19.

LeBron averaged 50 wins in his 7 seasons in Cleveland. Incredible considering the player that ranks 2nd in Win Shares for Cleveland during that 7 season stretch is Zydrunas freaking Ilgauskas who had per game numbers of 13.6 points, 7.8 rebounds.

Often criticized for his post-season performance, LeBron is 3rd all-time in playoff PER. And once he found a home in Miami with good team-mates, LeBron broke through to win 2 NBA championships, being named Finals MVP in both.

LeBron is also very durable, which is surprising given his athletic awesomeness. LeBron has played 41,642 minutes in his career which is more than anyone at 30 years of age. So I'm getting elite production from his 2nd year right until now with him playing heavy minutes and rarely missing a game.

RiOtChEsS

another solid pick, Holz will be spewin :D

Holz

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on February 18, 2015, 10:50:45 PM
another solid pick, Holz will be spewin :D

im fine.

As many know I rate this guy as the most valuable player of all time. He is the only guy who can play all 5 postions and while Im only getting 13 seasons out of him I know I easily have the best point guard out there.

Magic Johnson

Defense wins championships and this guy sure knows how to win them. The best defender ever to go with the best point guard ever is a nice way to start things off.

Bill Russell

PG: Magic Johnson
SG:
SF:
PF:
C: Bill Russell

Jay

Hakeem Olajuwon

Career stats: 21.8 points @ 51% shooting, 11.1 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 3.1 blocks, 1.7 steals
Career PER: 23.59
Accolades: MVP, 2x Champion (Finals MVP in both), 2x Defensive Player of The Year, 2x Rebounding Leader, 3x Blocks Leader, 6x All NBA First Team, 5x All Defensive First Team

The Dream is one of the best low-post players in NBA history, possessing flawless footwork and a nice little mid-range game too. He is also elite defensively, being the all-time leader in block shots, 9th in steals, 4th in defensive win shares and also led the league in defensive rating 5 times.

Here is where Houston finished in the league defensively in Hakeem's prime (seasons 3-10):
3rd, 4th, 4th, 1st, 2nd, 10th, 5th, 2nd

Hakeem won back to back championships with a less than stellar supporting cast, also worth noting that this was in an era of elite big men. The tied 2nd leaders in win shares among those two Houston teams are Robert Horry and Kenny Smith - neither of whom ever made an all star team.

Hakeem was also very durable and ranks #7 in all-time minutes played amongst big men. In the 10th season of our fantasy league I think you can lock me in for the championship as this was the all-time best season for LeBron and Hakeem - they both won MVP and Finals MVP.

I love the pairing of LeBron and Hakeem, it assures me of an elite defensive team and Hakeem's versatility offensively doesn't hinder LeBron's game in any way as perhaps some of the other all-time centres would.

PG:
SG:
SF: LeBron James
PF:
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

RiOtChEsS

AFEV

Ah I'm so unsure about this one, there are at least 5 guys I've strongly considered.
I'll lock down a durable big man,
Bill Russell.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: AFEV on February 19, 2015, 09:26:28 PM
Ah I'm so unsure about this one, there are at least 5 guys I've strongly considered.
Bill Russell.
Already been picked.

Now i'm worried about my pick being taken haha

AFEV

Quote from: Cookie Monster on February 19, 2015, 09:29:53 PM
Quote from: AFEV on February 19, 2015, 09:26:28 PM
Bill Russell.
Already been picked.

Now i'm worried about my pick being taken haha
Oh right I didn't realise that Holz had a double pick. What a noob.
Back in a sec.