WXV Discussion

Started by ossie85, August 06, 2013, 12:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaisyDaisy

I've just added NAT and PSD picks for the teams who haven't made finals, to the List By Position thread :)

Toga

WXV coaches,

Letting you all know that the time has come for me to hand over my Thunder to a new coach. Thanks to everyone involved for making the WXV such a fun and enjoyable competition to be a part of over the past few years. I've really enjoyed rebranding my team from the Beijing Bears to the Beijing Thunder, and watching my Thunder develop from cellar-dweller to contending for the premiership over the past few seasons - alas we never quite got the job done. A couple of reserves premierships will have to be my legacy.

I'm calling quits because life has become busy and it doesn't seem possible for me to meet the constant demands for activity and for me to enjoy the competition at the same time.

Special thanks to Purps for being such a gem in running this awesome comp. I hope for the community's sake that you stick around as you truly are running something fantastic and no one could possibly match the dedication and effort you put in. You're a legend and can't speak highly enough of you. Also thanks to some coaches that were around in the early days that I enjoyed competing against - Holz, JBsHawks, Jayman, Ricochet to name a few. It was always good fun watching our teams battle and to talk trades.

I hope the new coach of the mighty Thunder can take the boys to the next level and grab that maiden flag. Hopefully my timing means that they will get a good run at the trade period and be able to stamp their own flavour on the team - I will watch on with keen interest.

Go 'Jing.

JBs-Hawks

It’s been an absolute pleasure Toges! You will definitely be missed, we’ve had plenty of tough battles over the years. A mighty shame you didn’t get the ultimate glory you built one hell of a team especially from where you started!

Torpedo10

Gonna miss ya Toges. Been wonderful to chat to in all the big trades we've done and generally. Wishing you the best of luck in whatever the future holds!

Nige

Sad to see ya go Toges!  :( I remember the chats we had in the early days as Tiges fans, they were good times. Also been very impressive to see what you’ve built the Beijing team into over the years, kudos for doing such a great job! Enjoy life and don’t forget to swing by occasionally to check on the mighty ‘Jing.

RaisyDaisy

Toga, what you've done with the Jing list over the time that I've been in WXV has really shown how good a coach you truly are, and this competition definitely isn't going to be the same without you

I've enjoyed our interactions and trade talks over the years - you were always easy to deal with and understood how to value pieces fairly too

All the very best mate, you'll be missed

fanTCfool

All the best Toges, it's been great, from now all the way back to the Mongolian Lambs taking the AXV cake.
Hope to see you stay around WXV.

DazBurg

All the best toga
Been great in all my dealings with you
Sad to see you go

GoLions

All the best Toges! Will definitely miss having you around here. Good luck with everything :)

Purple 77

Wanted to wait until I had time to properly sit down and give Toges the send off he deserves!

Toga's journey begun during the tumultuous season of 2013, having applied for the then Beijing Bears twice!

JROO8 actually was the first coach to take over the Bears from bomberboy0618, but it would turn out his time was too soon, leaving the Bears two months later.

It was then where Toges partnered up with Master Q to become WXVs second official co-coaches, renaming the Bears to the Thunder.

But, having joined in May, there was only so much he and Q could do with the list, finishing 17th that year.

Beijing featured in only 3 trades of the 59 that off-season, opting to play the long game and back in its list and draft picks. Unsurprisingly, Beijing would finish 17th again in 2014, but it was all part of the plan.

Receiving Pick 1 as a priority pick that year, Beijing made its first major step back to respectability: drafting Christian Petracca. Upping their trade game to 12 out of 153 (jesus), the Thunder shuffled their deck once again, attempting to build a stronger foundation for their eventual push. The progress was slow but steady, finishing 14th in 2015. But an important 2015 trade period (and the shedding of one Master Q) saw Toga masterfully trade in Zorko, Jenkins and Ward for really not all that much as hindsight would later tell you!

2016 was meant to be the year of the 'Jing! Having comfortably scored within the top 8 that year, but alas slipped in Round 17 to finish 10th that season.

Oh, but 2017 was even more heartbreaking! Despite scoring even better than 2016, Beijing once again resided in 10th spot. However, they were coming, yes sirree.

2018 was the year  8) Beijing skyrocketed to a much deserved preliminary final, and it was just accepted Beijing were a really good team ever since.

Scoring 1509 in the 2018 prelim would win you a lot of games, but it was not meant to be. 12 months later, they found themselves in the same spot in less impressive circumstances, and it was the same story in 2020.

But it's not the 'from 17th to 3 consecutive preliminary finals' story that makes Toges great (any by no means diminishing that amazing feat).

It's his character.

Courteous, fair and humble, and not ONCE in 7.5 years making my job harder, Toges will go down, in my opinion, as one of WXVs greatest people.

Always, always welcome at WXVs Toges, and if by some miracle I'm still running this addiction in years to come, and you feel like coming back, say the word and I'll... (put sunglasses on) find room  8).

Toga

Thanks for the (mostly) kind words fellas. Will miss chatting with a lot of you guys. WXVs is a great community and has been great fun to be a part of. Would've loved to be clocking off with a flag in the cabinet but we just didn't quite get there.

I've gotta say thanks once again Purps for everything you do for the comp. That writeup is awesome!! Bit of history in that. Just shows how much you care and do for this comp, it really is something else. You are a legend!

Enjoy guys.

PowerBug

So AFL clubs can have between 37 and 44 players on their list. What will be the go with us?

Purple 77

Quote from: PowerBug on November 14, 2020, 10:07:50 PM
So AFL clubs can have between 37 and 44 players on their list. What will be the go with us?

Thought it over, and honestly, I'm not sure how much science I can apply to this.

There will be a minimum of 37, which say, the likes of North might strive to. But, then there's Gold Coast, who'll likely have 44.

So, I think for the purposes of submitting a list lodgement, and for the applicable cap for the trade period, I'll split it down the middle, and round up to 41 players, as I think there will be a tendency to have more players rather than less from AFL clubs.

We will continue to draft all available players. If this means teams will draft 42nd, 43rd or 44th players, then they will be forced to be selected by clubs IF they have the available cap.

Teams flirting with the minimum cap cannot use 42nd, 43rd or 44th players to boost it. The cap levels are based on 41 players per list, so you must be over the minimum (and below the maximum) assuming a list of 41 players, as follows:

BEFORE

AVERAGE PER PLAYER 225,419.59
PLAYERS827
AVERAGE LIST SIZE45.94
AVERAGE SALARY $10,355,776
MAX (+5%) $10,900,000
MIN (-15%) $8,800,000

AFTER

AVERAGE PER PLAYER 225,419.59
PLAYERS (estimate)738
AVERAGE LIST SIZE (estimate)41
AVERAGE SALARY $9,242,203
MAX (+5%) $9,800,000
MIN (-15%) $7,800,000

So to clarify, I'm using the avg salary per player from 2020, and applying it to the estimate list size, to calculate the salary cap limits.

Purple 77

alright, after some reflection (and a much better suggestion), we'll do this with the new cap.

The average cap of the top 738 players is $240,545. This excludes 89 players with a cap of $100k, which for the most part, reflects the kinds of players being delisted by AFL clubs.

so plugging that average in, our new cap looks like

NOW

AVERAGE PER PLAYER (top 738 players by cap) 240,545.00
PLAYERS (estimate)738
AVERAGE LIST SIZE (estimate)41
AVERAGE SALARY $9,862,345
MAX (+5%) $10,400,000
MIN (-15%) $8,300,000

upthemaidens

Will every AFL player be on a WXV list? Or will we have leftovers which will be available in next years draft?