2021 Rookies

Started by SilverLion, December 23, 2020, 12:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggyz_a_legend

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 17, 2021, 01:33:11 PM
AFL has approved the sub rule. This will be fun picking rookies

Teams named the day before a match + medical subs = Flower Supercoach!

Whoever wins the $50k at season's end needs to be knighted as part of the prize.

jfitty

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 17, 2021, 01:33:11 PM
AFL has approved the sub rule. This will be fun picking rookies

Why though?

Still pick rookies (and other players) based on who's named in the 22.. The sub may not come on at all.

Mat0369

We're going to get 23 man squads with subs not being named until final team announcements. Good luck knowing who is going to play on field in that situation

barlowlove

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 17, 2021, 02:26:02 PM
We're going to get 23 man squads with subs not being named until final team announcements. Good luck knowing who is going to play on field in that situation

That's not quite right, per the AFL.com.au article:
"Clubs will name a 'normal' squad of 22 players and four emergencies the evening before the game, but they won't have to name the 23rd 'medical substitute' player until final teams are confirmed an hour before the first bounce."

Mat0369

Quote from: barlowlove on March 17, 2021, 02:38:43 PM
That's not quite right, per the AFL.com.au article:
"Clubs will name a 'normal' squad of 22 players and four emergencies the evening before the game, but they won't have to name the 23rd 'medical substitute' player until final teams are confirmed an hour before the first bounce."

That makes me feel a little bit better. Clubs normally hold out one emergency anyway so that's probably the norm. I was under the assumption we would get the old we randomly pick a sub from the 23 which would pretty much cook us.

barlowlove

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 17, 2021, 02:59:04 PM
That makes me feel a little bit better. Clubs normally hold out one emergency anyway so that's probably the norm. I was under the assumption we would get the old we randomly pick a sub from the 23 which would pretty much cook us.

Yep, its not as bad as it could be. I think the biggest concern is if you have a rookie playing well who is named as the 23rd and plays, it will kill their cash generation.

I also assume that if a player is named as a 23rd and does not take the field, it will count as a non-playing player, and not a playing zero. As this would also kill cash gen, loopholes etc.

RaisyDaisy

Gonna be real fun when the rookie you're fielding gets named as the sub 1 hour before the match...

With Round 1 we get to wait and see then pick, but from Round 2 onwards after we've already picked our starting rookies in Round 1 this is gonna get ugly

barlowlove

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 17, 2021, 03:22:18 PM
Gonna be real fun when the rookie you're fielding gets named as the sub 1 hour before the match...

With Round 1 we get to wait and see then pick, but from Round 2 onwards after we've already picked our starting rookies in Round 1 this is gonna get ugly

Ideally in this scenario, you aren't fielding them as they wouldn't have been named in the 22. But yes, we will be fairly stuck after Round 1 if any rookies are "dropped" to the 23rd man

Mat0369

It has me a little more hesitant on someone like Warner. He looked great on the weekend but if he is a fringe player they could name him emergency and then slot him as the sub. It is only supposed to be in case of injury, but I am curious to see if it also applies for the 20 minute concussion test window. Guys could come on for 15 minutes in the game, score a 15 and kill any chance of cash gen.

The typical subs previously were guys that were either quick, had good endurance and could come on as a set of fresh legs to impact the game. Guys like Warner, Gulden, Brockman, Downie, Bergman, Jones, Powell, Scott and even Jordan Clark could fit this mould. We also need to make sure we don't use anyone that is named an emergency for loophole purposes.

smashbox

Well what happens if your sub comes on in the last quarter and scores 10. This could seriously hamper cash generation for rookies

RaisyDaisy

McNeil (102k M) and Scott (102k M/F) both named to debut for Dogs

I'll be going with Scott and passing on McNeil at this stage

Mat0369

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 17, 2021, 04:55:22 PM
McNeil (102k M) and Scott (102k M/F) both named to debut for Dogs

I'll be going with Scott and passing on McNeil at this stage

It's good to see both in. I'm thinking of doing the same and can swing the changes later if needed with Scott having DPP. Hannan is out for an extended period so McNeil should get a decent crack but may not score as well if he gets stuck deep for long periods.

Ringo

Thought it would be simple if rookies named in the 22 then they play and the sub comes from one of the 4 emergencies. But as been said what is to stop club dropping someone from the 22 to the sub position and promoting an emergency. Real wait and see.

Gavdroid

Quote from: Ringo on March 17, 2021, 05:37:06 PM
Thought it would be simple if rookies named in the 22 then they play and the sub comes from one of the 4 emergencies. But as been said what is to stop club dropping someone from the 22 to the sub position and promoting an emergency. Real wait and see.

That's always been the case though. Nothing has really changed I don't think. Subs aren't like they were a few years ago, they can't just be brought on to impact games, it must be an injury or concussion that will prevent a player from playing for 12 days. If they're named in the 22 we play them, the risk of having a late change is still there like it has always been.

whynot102

Is Ollie Henry worth getting in