EXV: 2013 Fixtures and Results

Started by Holz, April 12, 2013, 12:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephants

Quote from: Holzman on August 05, 2013, 01:47:29 PM
Quote from: Nails on August 05, 2013, 01:20:36 PM
Not scared of 'em. Just sorta nearly makes half the season pointless when a team only needs 5-6 wins to make it in. Finals are meant to be for the best of the best. Like in the AFL it's meant to be for the best teams the top tier. In EXVs it's not really the top tier. It's just some good teams and those with losing records.

to be fair in the afl teams who sneak into 7th or 8th dont really deserve it either. What you worked for was the double chance which gives you a massive advantage.

Not to mention HGA as well.

nostradamus

Quote from: Spinking on August 05, 2013, 07:20:51 AM
Just my opinion, but I reckon it is ok the way it is. Understand what Nails is saying and it makes sense, but I would prefer to avoid a change for 2 reasons:

Firstly having a large group finals meant things were interesting for a lot longer for those not competing for the flag. Until the last round all but 3 teams had a chance to make the finals. I think this is good for keeping people interested - Just from my experience it was coaches out of the running who sometimes named players who weren't playing, forgot emergencies, just posted up last weeks team without checking etc.

Secondly my preference is to keep the league at this size - means better quality squads and better coaches. 

2 cents worth...  ;)

+1

Justin Bieber

Quote from: elephants on August 05, 2013, 02:08:06 AM
Bashers did not deserve finals :P we'll try upset a few but we're missing so many stars and even shining lights like Houli, Jelwood and Lynchy are beginning to slow down :(
Quote from: elephants on August 05, 2013, 01:14:20 PM
People scared of the Bashers! 8) #notsurprised

The Polar bears will be waiting to destroy you guys >:D.

On the finals, when more teams make the finals than miss it, sorta see where Nails is coming from. Certainly could look to decrease the numbers to 6 since it is a competitive league, but not entirely fussed as the strong teams should win out in the end. Unless some freak scores are pulled out by the underdogs :P.

Holz

I feel teams like the bashers deserve a shot.

My Eagles arent worried at all, we wil take out anyone who comes up against us.

I would prefer it to run like a normal final series. If we run it in the 6 comp I would have 1 play 2 for auto qualification than 3v 6 and 4v5.

really that disdvantages the 3rd place team which deserves a double shot.

Justin Bieber

True.. Guess we'll just have some lucky finishers who could cause upsets.

LaHug

How did the AFL run finals when it was only 6 teams that made it? I don't believe they had 1 and 2 getting auto qualification but I can't remember how it worked off the top of my head...

Nails

It's not that we're "scared" of the lower teams...

It's just like saying to someone "my team made finals in euros"

It's like a so what? As long as your team isn't totally young or just pure spuds you can make finals. It's not very hard and doesn't hold much prestige.

Ziplock

my team's really young and full of spuds and I still made formals

#yolo

Nails

Quote from: Ziplock on August 07, 2013, 11:57:54 PM
my team's really young and full of spuds and I still made formals

#yolo

Man, that's a true sign of how gun your team is. Wearing formal wear and still making finals.

elephants

Scrads

elephants

Quote from: Scrads on August 08, 2013, 12:52:20 AM
This is the best top 6 finals format I could find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_six_play-offs

Yeah thats not too bad at all. My only critisizm of that is 1st/2nd is a massive advantage. Playing one game to get to the GF compared to others that play up to 4.

Other than feeling sorry for the person finishing 3rd I don't think there is a real issue with that? Nice!

Nails

Yeah not a fan of the fact 1st or 2nd is GUARANTEED to play the granny.

To be honest I'm not going to run kicking and screaming if it stays as an 8 team finals. I was just saying I disliked it and thought it ruined the prestige of it even being considered "finals"

I liked my 3 week finals personally

3 vs 6 > 1st vs winner > Winner
                                        vs
4 vs 5 >  2nd vs winner > Winner

Then 3rd/4th/5th/6th all have a chance to make finals and it isn't guaranteed that 1st or 2nd will make it.

Scrads

Quote from: Nails on August 08, 2013, 12:58:29 AM
Yeah not a fan of the fact 1st or 2nd is GUARANTEED to play the granny.

To be honest I'm not going to run kicking and screaming if it stays as an 8 team finals. I was just saying I disliked it and thought it ruined the prestige of it even being considered "finals"

I liked my 3 week finals personally

3 vs 6 > 1st vs winner > Winner
                                        vs
4 vs 5 >  2nd vs winner > Winner

Then 3rd/4th/5th/6th all have a chance to make finals and it isn't guaranteed that 1st or 2nd will make it.

Why don't you just treat weeks 2-4 of the finals as having 'prestige'? :)

Scrads

Could do a top 7, I just made this up on the spot...

Week 1:
Team1 v Team2 (A)
Team4 v Team5 (B) -> loser eliminated
Team6 v Team7 (C) -> loser eliminated
Bye: Team3

Week 2:
Loser(A) v winner(C) -> (D)
Team3 v winner(B) -> (E)
Bye: winner(A)

Week 3:
Winner(E) v winner(D) -> (F)
Bye: winner(A)