Main Menu

From The Pavilion II

Started by m0nty, December 16, 2014, 02:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

So I guess now we need to work out exactly how it will run. I have exams coming up in the next month, I'm happy
to organise it all but it will have to wait until late November.

Torpedo10

Quote from: DazBurg on October 11, 2015, 03:18:36 PM
agree i reckon it is an awesome idea
could then keep detailed history of it etc so if we continue it even if teams go through rebuilds you can see they were on top at one stage

i.e Torps would be a good chance of champ but say in 3 seasons he needs to rebuild be good to look back for him and others who may be new see he was up there etc
Haha thanks Daz, but I don't believe in rebuilds.   ;)

Hellopplz

Quote from: Torpedo10 on October 10, 2015, 05:19:25 PM
A random draw? That's a pretty silly idea.
Well that's one way to be completely fair to everybody if starting from scratch.

If going to be very organised than the rankings could work, but then would have to follow friendlies between teams who want them to be counted as ranking matches. Friendlies would be easier to work (especially for pav members) considering the leagues are scattered between all of us.

Winning streaks and records like Cookie pointed out are good. Can also have a top 5 team take on a lower ranked team if they do go on a losing streak to try and get a win down, and gives the chance for a lower team to cause an upset and move up the rankings a bit faster. But would need both sides to agree to the match.

Saying that, would higher teams also have the choice of selecting pitch and conditions when they face a lower ranked team?

I'm for the ranking system, but just needs some organisation and somebody could make a spreadsheet to keep it easy to track and matches held, etc!

PowerBug

Did someone say spreadsheet? :D

What we could do is, rank teams at the end of the season by OD ranking, then spend about 7 weeks where we get in all the friendlies that people want to play to "adjust" their position, then formally start with those rankings.

Alternatively the end of season OD rankings can just be our starting point, not sure if too many would disagree really. If you're better than you are ranked you will soon rise up anyway.

Cookie311993

Quote from: Hellopplz on October 11, 2015, 06:46:04 PM
Quote from: Torpedo10 on October 10, 2015, 05:19:25 PM
A random draw? That's a pretty silly idea.
Well that's one way to be completely fair to everybody if starting from scratch.

If going to be very organised than the rankings could work, but then would have to follow friendlies between teams who want them to be counted as ranking matches. Friendlies would be easier to work (especially for pav members) considering the leagues are scattered between all of us.

Winning streaks and records like Cookie pointed out are good. Can also have a top 5 team take on a lower ranked team if they do go on a losing streak to try and get a win down, and gives the chance for a lower team to cause an upset and move up the rankings a bit faster. But would need both sides to agree to the match.

Saying that, would higher teams also have the choice of selecting pitch and conditions when they face a lower ranked team?

I'm for the ranking system, but just needs some organisation and somebody could make a spreadsheet to keep it easy to track and matches held, etc!
The top 10 can be arranged for matches. Outside the top 10 need to move up ranks and earn a chance at someone inside top 10. More you win the better the competition

PowerBug

We could also use the Elo system or Glicko system that are used for Chess. I'm reading into the different options currently along with finding out exactly how the UFC stuff works

PowerBug

Okay the Chess stuff is probably not the way to go it isn't very good for what we are trying to achieve.

Cookie311993

That's the ufc ratings for a weight class.
Dodson just had a title shot and lost, so he moves down the rankings
#3 next fights #5

Both are on winning streaks, so a possible title shot awaits

The aim is to be ranked #1, more chance of a title shot

PowerBug

But how do you determine whether a player goes down or up when they win/lose? There has to be a mathematical way of explaining it. Then we can use that, because it seems a very good system for us.

Cookie311993

Quote from: PowerBug on October 11, 2015, 08:37:30 PM
But how do you determine whether a player goes down or up when they win/lose? There has to be a mathematical way of explaining it. Then we can use that, because it seems a very good system for us.
They don't do mathematical , that i'm aware of. The have a panel who decides on rankings and they base the overall ratings off that. Losing to someone below you hurts your overall rating. We could work out a ratings point system to use for ours

PowerBug

Nige

Quote from: PowerBug on October 15, 2015, 05:25:17 PM
Nice match today Nigey :)
flower. I totally forgot.

Edit: Oh shower, match tied. Wow.

PowerBug

My player George Maloney is a good keeper, not much of a batsmen
My player Joseph Lucas is an alright batsman, not a keeper.

BP's player George Lucas will be a very good batsman and a very good keeper

;D

BratPack

Quote from: PowerBug on October 15, 2015, 10:26:23 PM
My player George Maloney is a good keeper, not much of a batsmen
My player Joseph Lucas is an alright batsman, not a keeper.

BP's player George Lucas will be a very good batsman and a very good keeper

;D

He was CF's guy. I bought him when he turned 20

PowerBug

If I want to avoid my first ever relegation in FTP then I have to go 2/2 in T20, and hope for some other results to go my way. To go 2/2, I have to beat probably the two highest ratings sides in Sri Lanka. The first is only an EIGHT time winner of SL T20 1.1...

I will need an upset of epic proportions, bit like when I fluked this one against him:
www.fromthepavilion.org/ratings.htm?gameId=3054795

Oh, and if I do avoid relegation in T20, I will likely relegate in SOD, unless I find a way to win 2/2 there as well. Guess who I play this Friday? Yep, same team I play tomorrow :-\ If I pull it off I will thouroughly deserve it hahaha