FF FTP News: February 2015 (Interview #2)

Started by PowerBug, February 13, 2015, 04:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

Almost forgot about this :o

So another month has passed, Honey Badger has left our forum, but will continue to play the great game with his bunch of superstars. Cookie Monster is back, and started well it seems :)

Torp managed to go through a NAT tour undefeated with Scotland, cookie lead Bermuda Seniors to 3rd in Div 1. I got Sri Lanka to promote from Div 3 behind Torp. And the UAE U19 squad, which is entirely FanFooty run (BratPack, JBs-Hawks, Spinking) came 2nd in Div 1. Some very good results there on the NAT behalf.

In friendly comps, the Div 2 Senior comp is done and dusted, Shaggy took out the tournament ahead of cookie, then myself.
http://www.fromthepavilion.org/leagueoverview.htm?lsId=52673#curr

Following on from last month's interview, I guess the question of whether Daz or BP is better was partially answered on Friday, with the two playing each other in SOD.
http://www.fromthepavilion.org/scorecard.htm?gameId=3074016

BratPack got the job done by 41 runs, but DazBurg leads the league. The jury is still out on this one I think.

Also in that league is AFEV's Opium Splendour, who I decided to interview this month:

1. With the amount of times you've come, gone, come back, gone again, are you impressed at how you've managed to have only one FTP account?
Haha, I always ensured that I would have membership whenever I left the game. I've always felt that no matter how many tantrums I threw that I'd always end up returning to FTP and continuing on with my team, so I've made sure that it would be waiting for me when I returned. Also, you can't deny that the prospect of returning to an 8 figure bank account is rather tantalising! Maybe I came back just to spend it, but we all know FTP is like crack cocaine and I could hardly leave once was back.
After 7 years and (I think) about 6 accounts on FF, you'd think I would've had a higher turnover in FTP though, I guess my commitment issues are suppressed by the gorgeous men that populate my squad.  ;)

2. What is your greatest achievement in FTP to date?
Honestly, I've achieved pretty much nothing in this game. I've never gone beyond the 3rd round of the PC and I'm currently wasting away in D2. Due to a combination of a lack of time and laziness, I've never obsessed over match orders or even paid particularly close attention to learning the intricacies of the ME. Due to that I make pretty simple mistakes that have likely cost me a lot, but it's more the player management than match day tactics I enjoy - so perhaps it is most appropriate to say some of the players I've produced. Not that any are particularly notable...Who wrote these questions!?!?

3. Which FF member do you/did you enjoy beating the most?

I've never really had anything but a friendly rivalry with anybody here on FF, although once upon a time I would always be quietly chuffed at a triumph over Boomz or Pyronerd.
Boomz in particular was always an enjoyable match to watch, neither of us were particularly stressed by results or ratings or any of the details, and we would often play a friendly in the background while having mid morning chats, periodically commenting on the crazy shower the ME would do.

4. Which player of yours has got the best name, and what is the reasoning behind the name?
Oh come on, this is a ridiculous question! How the hell am I supposed to choose!? Over the seasons I've rotated and trialled a few different naming themes;

Raph Clarke, Tom Swift, Billy Gent, Relton Roberts, Stephen Dank - All players associated with VFL/AFL, I'd hope most of you would recognise most of those names (Perhaps not Gent, but I'll explain him later), they're all rather infamous - luckily they've all had better luck in FTP than they have in the outernet.
Hannah Hunt (Vampire Weekend), Olivia Tremor Control, Chet Faker, Jagwar Ma, Sky Ferreira, Frank Ocean, Mars Volta, Mac DeMarco and Ariel Pink are all musical acts.
Napoleon Bonaparte, Genghis Khan, Hannibal Barca are all historical figures.
Buzz Lightyear is the odd duck, I momentarily thought Disney names would be a good idea, quickly decided they weren't. :P

It is a close battle between Hannibal and Billy for my favourite name, so I'll explain the story behind the one that less people will know, as Barca's story is fairly well documented. 

Billy Gent is potentially the most famous crap footballer from the amateur era. From what I've read about him, he was essentially rolling about with the directive to eliminate as many opposition (and sometimes friendly) players as possible. At first he received a 20 game suspension for striking multiple players. Now considering the standards for physicality and the strictness on violence at the time, you'd think that he had to be doing some pretty wild shower to get such a lengthy suspension. This was effectively a 2 year suspension for him.
After he got back, he made it 1 year before getting himself suspended for life. Geez, this guy must have been off the flowering wall.
But yep, that's Billy's story, he was a favourite of Pyro and I.

5. What is the best part about FTP?
I've always loved the player management, specifically player growth. I exclusively buy players that are 20, because I get so much satisfaction out of watching them grow and become great players after being so monumentally shower when you bought them.
It's also nice taking a project type player and making wild alterations to find them a role in your team where they otherwise never would've had one.

6. Best advice you've got for a new player?
Make sure you've got lots of time, because this game gobbles it up like it's nothing.

I have to say, Billy Gent is quite a legend.

That's all I have for this month :)

PowerBug
Sri Lanka's fail Senior Manager

DazBurg

great work PB
and love hearing from Ax
also CF/HB  :'(

BratPack

HB left us? Did he finally go on that pilgrimage to Parliament? :P

Spinking

Sad to hear about CF. Hope he will stay in touch.

Great write up though. Good to hear a bit from AFev!

Colliwobblers

great work PB, i'm in it for the player management too Ax love it. good interview.

Cookie Monster

It's good to be back!

Pretty shattered he didn't mention our rivalry back in the day :( haha just kidding!