Main Menu

Best 22 going into 2015

Started by _wato, October 07, 2014, 12:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Quote from: Ringo on October 07, 2014, 11:32:05 AM
But if they have the slow start which may occur with a different game plan then finals may be out of reach.  That is the point I am trying to make as we see with change of coaches some times it takes time to get used to the game plan.  Have seen it a number of times with new coaches doing their best work in second year with Ken Hinkley be the best example.
Hinkley took Port from near the bottom to 7th and then win a final in his first year Ringo?

I agree coaches do better in their first year but doesn't change how high the boards/clubs expectations will be for next year

The_Captain

Quote from: _wato on October 07, 2014, 12:26:55 AM
Where do we see the Suns going into 2015? Surely they're ready to take the next step and become a top eight contender, if not, even a frightening prospect come finals time next year? With the acquisition of Malceski and a fully fit Ablett plus a full list to choose from I don't see any excuses why they can't.

All they need now is a coach willing to move this club forward and fast rate the development of the younger kids on the list, be more forceful re player droppings and what not, and this club will be very successful in the next few years.

Best 22 Breakdown (thanks to WCarey18 for the use of template, is very effective mate).

Backline

Locks: Rory Thompson, Steven May, Trent Mckenzie, Nick Malceski, Jarrad Harbrow, Kade Kolodjashnij
Fringe/Depth: Luke Russell, Matt Shaw, Seb Tape, Clay Cameron, Greg Broughton, Jarred Ellis, Henry Schade

Midfield

Locks: Gary Ablett jnr, Dion Prestia, Jaegar O'Meara, David Swallow, Harley Bennell, Michael Rischitelli, Jack Martin
Fringe/Depth: Danny Stanley, Jesse Lonergan, Alex Sexton, Sean Lemmens, Andrew Boston

Forward

Locks: Charlie Dixon, Thomas Lynch, Sam Day, Brandon Matera
Fringe/Depth: Aaron Hall, Tim Sumner, Josh Hall, Louis Herbert,

Ruck

Lock: Zac Smith
Fringe/Depth: Tom Nicholls, Dan Gorringe*, Jack Leslie

Best 22 Side

FB: Danny Stanley, Steven May, Kade Kolodjashnij
HB: Nick Malceski, Rory Thompson, Trent Mckenzie
C: Jarrad Harbrow, Gary Ablett, Michael Rischitelli
HF: David Swallow, Thomas Lynch, Harley Bennell
FF: Brandon Matera, Sam Day, Charlie Dixon
R: Zac Smith, Dion Prestia, Jaegar O'Meara

INT: Greg Broughton, Sean Lemmens, Matt Shaw, Jack Martin

Unlucky: Jesse Lonergan, Luke Russell, Aaron Hall, Tom Nicholls, Dan Gorringe*, Tim Sumner, Alex Sexton, Seb Tape, Clay Cameron

Thoughts? Could be completely wrong but we can use this as a discussion point - Will try update over the draft and trade period etc.

Pretty decent side. I reckon they are 2-3 good players away from being a strong top 8 side.

Vinny

Very exciting times for Gold Coast, cannot wait to watch them next season. They still lack depth but with a 22 this young and promising, going to be unstoppable soon enough. Eski and Cannon coming off half-back, sick! 8)

Justin Bieber

Needs more forwards. Very lacking.

_wato

Yeah I agree Lez, think you need another 2 or so crumbing forwards aka Betts/Ballantyne who can kick 40+ goals a year and with lots of pace to compliment Matera, and I think you definitely need another experienced KPD incase one of May/Thompson goes down for an extended period of time through injury. Your KPF stocks with Lynch/Day/Dixon is fantastic so I don't expect changes to be made there or through the ruck division with Smith/Nicholls/Leslie/Gorringe* etc

However, I know people may disagree on me for this as GC have an array of young mids but another experienced big bodied midfielder would not hurt at all. Would GC seek two young quick mid/forwards and a big bodied mid and KPD in this draft or not?

Justin Bieber

Alan Christenson would be flowering ideal.

Ricochet

and should only cost you a draft pick too. That pick 15 compo should do it

Justin Bieber

He isn't worth a first round pick. Maybe 2 second rounders.

Nige

That pick has been a merry-go-round for years haha, may as well pass it on again.  :P

SydneyRox

QLD is the place to be according to all the AFL players!!

elephants

Quote from: whatlez on October 08, 2014, 11:17:20 AM
He isn't worth a first round pick. Maybe 2 second rounders.

Disagree. Pick 15 is perfect Imo.

_wato

Yeah pick 15 would be fantastic and exactly what you'd need for next year aswell, a player who can kick 40+ goals!

Tick that box if the rumours are trueeee

Toga

Would be perfect, exactly what you are lacking atm

powersuperkents

Incredible list. I don't know too much about Zac Smith but their best 6 backs are flawless and their best midfielders are either flawless or incredible prospects. Forwards are amazing as well Lynch & Matera have already taken their game up another level this season. Day remains a bright prospect (key forwards do take time to develop). Not sure about Dixon though, yes most teams would be more than happy to have him but I personally question what he offers besides a strong -yet however incredibly fragile- build. His 6 goal haul last season impressed me though, if he can perform comparable to that most games I will be convinced about his ability.

Overall, a really strong list, really will be a strong top 8 contender next season and Eade only makes them better. We most likely win a premiership sometime in the next 5-8 years. I think they need to gain some independence though, like the boys at GWS - far too dependent on the 'Son of God'.

meow meow

I wouldn't say their list is incredible. They have some guns in the making but no real depth. Broughton and Shaw wouldn't be in Hawthorn's best 30 players and they find themselves in GC's best 22. Their scope for improvement isn't huge either. O'Meara, Swallow, Prestia, Lynch, Bennell and McKenzie are already good players who have a little bit more room for improvement to push up to All Australian level, but the likes of Harbrow, Stanley, GAJ, Rischitelli and Broughton aren't going to get any better. Day, KK and Jack Martin have to become gun players for this team to get to the top 4. Lonergan looks like a wasted first round pick, as does Leslie. They're extremely fortunate to have Ablett.

And Nicholls > Zmith every day of the week!