Main Menu

Best 22 going into 2015

Started by _wato, October 07, 2014, 12:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_wato

Where do we see the Suns going into 2015? Surely they're ready to take the next step and become a top eight contender, if not, even a frightening prospect come finals time next year? With the acquisition of Malceski and a fully fit Ablett plus a full list to choose from I don't see any excuses why they can't.

All they need now is a coach willing to move this club forward and fast rate the development of the younger kids on the list, be more forceful re player droppings and what not, and this club will be very successful in the next few years.

Best 22 Breakdown (thanks to WCarey18 for the use of template, is very effective mate).

Backline

Locks: Rory Thompson, Steven May, Trent Mckenzie, Nick Malceski, Jarrad Harbrow, Kade Kolodjashnij
Fringe/Depth: Luke Russell, Matt Shaw, Seb Tape, Clay Cameron, Greg Broughton, Jarred Ellis, Henry Schade

Midfield

Locks: Gary Ablett jnr, Dion Prestia, Jaegar O'Meara, David Swallow, Harley Bennell, Michael Rischitelli, Jack Martin
Fringe/Depth: Danny Stanley, Jesse Lonergan, Alex Sexton, Sean Lemmens, Andrew Boston

Forward

Locks: Charlie Dixon, Thomas Lynch, Sam Day, Brandon Matera
Fringe/Depth: Aaron Hall, Tim Sumner, Josh Hall, Louis Herbert,

Ruck

Lock: Zac Smith
Fringe/Depth: Tom Nicholls, Dan Gorringe*, Jack Leslie

Best 22 Side

FB: Danny Stanley, Steven May, Kade Kolodjashnij
HB: Nick Malceski, Rory Thompson, Trent Mckenzie
C: Jarrad Harbrow, Gary Ablett, Michael Rischitelli
HF: David Swallow, Thomas Lynch, Harley Bennell
FF: Brandon Matera, Sam Day, Charlie Dixon
R: Zac Smith, Dion Prestia, Jaegar O'Meara

INT: Greg Broughton, Sean Lemmens, Matt Shaw, Jack Martin

Unlucky: Jesse Lonergan, Luke Russell, Aaron Hall, Tom Nicholls, Dan Gorringe*, Tim Sumner, Alex Sexton, Seb Tape, Clay Cameron

Thoughts? Could be completely wrong but we can use this as a discussion point - Will try update over the draft and trade period etc.

kilbluff1985

they would be wanting to win a final for a pass mark imo

kilbluff1985

and Jack Martin over Lonergan for sure

_wato

Totally forgot about Martin in making the team, hahaha will fix that now, thanks KB

Nige

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on October 07, 2014, 12:32:32 AM
You can't set 'wanting to win a final' as a pass mark having never even made finals before.

They have to show the form and skill they showed this year and produce similar if not better results and make the 8 first.

As for the best 22, that looks pretty spot on.

GoLions

Quote from: Nige on October 07, 2014, 09:24:31 AM
You can't set 'wanting to win a final' as a pass mark having never even made finals before.

They have to show the form and skill they showed this year and produce similar if not better results and make the 8 first.

I think if Ablett plays all year, there's no reason why they can't finish top 6

Nige

Quote from: GoLions on October 07, 2014, 09:38:38 AM
Quote from: Nige on October 07, 2014, 09:24:31 AM

I think if Ablett plays all year, there's no reason why they can't finish top 6
I agree, but I'm looking at it similarly to the way I was looking at things for the Tiges.

They could finish top 6, but consider they disappointingly missed finals this year when they were well and truly on track to make their first appearance, that has to be the goal and anything better is a bonus.

kilbluff1985

my point was there goal would be to win a final which would be a big pass

making the finals would be satisfactory

not making the finals would be a fail

but you could excuse the team if they didn't adjust to the new coach straight away

Nige

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on October 07, 2014, 09:45:57 AM
but you could excuse the team if they didn't adjust to the new coach straight away
Which I honestly think is something that needs to be taken into account.

If they were still under Bluey then I can understand the high expectations given what we saw this year, but the new coach (Bomber?) regardless of who they are will have to settle in and the players might have to adjust considering most of the boys haven't had another coach (with the exception of guys like GAJ, Harbrow etc)

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Nige on October 07, 2014, 09:48:48 AM

If they were still under Bluey then I can understand the high expectations given what we saw this year, but the new coach (Bomber?) regardless of who they are will have to settle in and the players might have to adjust considering most of the boys haven't had another coach (with the exception of guys like GAJ, Harbrow etc)

just another reason why it seems silly to have sacked him they were on track to make finals before they got heaps of injuries everyone focuses on Ablett but there were others like Cannon and Dixon to name a couple

Nige

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on October 07, 2014, 09:52:24 AM

just another reason why it seems silly to have sacked him they were on track to make finals before they got heaps of injuries everyone focuses on Ablett but there were others like Cannon and Dixon to name a couple
Totally agree. I think it was a baffling decision and it was handled terribly as well.

Both Sando and Bluey definitely deserved one more year but the cutthroat approach was taken.

Ziplock

Quote from: Nige on October 07, 2014, 10:28:40 AM

Totally agree. I think it was a baffling decision and it was handled terribly as well.

Both Sando and Bluey definitely deserved one more year but the cutthroat approach was taken.

Ringo

Quote from: Nige on October 07, 2014, 10:28:40 AM

Agree with waht has been said -  Trust that expectations are not set too high for new coach as has been stated takes time to get used to a new cocahes game plan.  Seen that with Lions this year with Leppa with a slowish start but came home reasonably strongly over the latter part of season as players got used to the game plan.

Ricochet

The main reason they got rid of Bluey was to find someone to take them to the next step (plus a bit of player unrest I've heard), so they'll set high goals. To win a final sounds about right. Especially after securing Malceski now.

Ringo

But if they have the slow start which may occur with a different game plan then finals may be out of reach.  That is the point I am trying to make as we see with change of coaches some times it takes time to get used to the game plan.  Have seen it a number of times with new coaches doing their best work in second year with Ken Hinkley be the best example.