Main Menu

2015 Best 22

Started by WCarey18, October 04, 2014, 03:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WCarey18

With the new additions of Waite and Higgins to North Melbourne, its time we start to discuss what our beloved Roos will look like come Round 1, 2015.

I'll continue to update this throughout the off-season, based on new additions, and any further delistings or trades.

IN

Jarrad Waite (Carlton, forward)
Shaun Higgins (Western Bulldogs, utility)

OUT

Greenwood (requested trade to Collingwood)

Best 22 Breakdown

Backline

Locks: Scott Thompson, Aaron Mullett, Nathan Grima, Shaun Atley, Michael Firrito, Luke McDonald, Sam Wright
Fringe: Scott McMahon, Joel Tippett, Taylor Hine, Lachlan Hansen
Depth: Max Warren, Mitch Wilkins, Cameron Delaney, Tom Curran

Midfield

Locks: Andrew Swallow, Daniel Wells, Nick Dal Santo, Jack Ziebell, Ben Cunnington, Sam Gibson
Fringe: Ryan Bastinac, Liam Anthony, Kayne Turner, Jamie MacMillan, Ben Jacobs, Trent Dumont
Depth: Brad McKenzie, Timothy McGuiness,

Forward

Locks: Drew Petrie, Jarrad Waite, Shaun Higgins, Brent Harvey, Lindsay Thomas, Leigh Adams
Fringe: Aaron Black, Robbie Tarrant, Robin Nahas, Ben Brown
Depth: Kieran Harper, Mason Wood, Taylor Garner

Ruck

Lock: Todd Goldstein
Fringe: Daniel Currie, Majak Daw
Depth: Eric Wallace

Best 22 Side

FB: Lachlan Hansen, Scott Thompson, Michael Firrito
HB: Luke McDonald, Nathan Grima, Sam Gibson
C: Daniel Wells, Ben Cunnington, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Shaun Higgins
FF: Lindsay Thomas, Jarrad Waite, Ben Brown
R: Todd Goldstein, Andrew Swallow, Jack Ziebell

INT: Leigh Adams, Kayne Turner, Shaun Atley, Sam Wright

Unlucky: Ryan Bastinac, Robbie Tarrant, Aaron Black, Jamie MacMillan, Ben Jacobs, Aaron Mullett, Scott McMahon

I think that list of unlucky players to miss out on a spot in our best 22 just shows the depth of talent that North Melbourne has going into 2015.

Love to here everyones thoughts about North's best 22, this will be a big talking point for months to come.

Nige

Probably replace Mullett with any of the unlucky imo. Based on what I saw this year (as a Tigers supporter/outsider), didn't seem to back up his 2013 and seem to be 'fringe'.

WCarey18

Quote from: Nige on October 04, 2014, 03:28:53 PM
Probably replace Mullett with any of the unlucky imo. Based on what I saw this year (as a Tigers supporter/outsider), didn't seem to back up his 2013 and seem to be 'fringe'.

Trying to devalue him are we? So the Tigers can get him cheaper?  ;D

Nige

Quote from: WCarey18 on October 04, 2014, 04:04:07 PM

The Pies were after him, not us.  :P

WCarey18

Quote from: Nige on October 04, 2014, 04:06:09 PM
Quote from: WCarey18 on October 04, 2014, 04:04:07 PM

The Pies were after him, not us.  :P

At least thats what Richmond are telling everyone. :P

_wato

Mullet not in your best 22 I don't think, Firrito is important to your structure - Saw that against Sydney with lack of defensive height.

Would also say Greenwood/Hansen are locks, not fringe players. Would maybe question Adams' role in the team, think Turner may have done enough to warrant a starting spot, as his pressure is fantastic.

Black will push Brown for that third tall forward position, will be good to see blokes push for spots.

If I was you I'd rid Mullett ---> Firrito and maybe Adams ---> Turner and other structural changes (Gibson to HB, NDS to wing, Wells off for Levi, Atley off) but that's just my preferences.

Good looking team, will be interesting to see how well they go together,

kilbluff1985

yeah Turner should only get better with another preseason and no school next year they should be getting games into him

roo boys!

I had a crack the other day and this is what I came up with

FB: Hansen Thompson Firrito
HB: McDonald Grima Higgins
C: Dal Santo Greenwood Wells
HF: Harvey Petrie Ziebell
FF: Thomas Waite Brown
R: Goldstein Swallow Cunnington

INT: Gibson Atley Turner Wright

So basically, very similar to yours and the changes are pretty much what everyone else has suggested. Wato hitting the nail on the head.

Think Firrito has been a revelation this year and earnt his spot. I think it changes every week depending on the opponent though, someone like the Dogs or Carlton who may be light on in tall forwards you'd think Grima, Thompson and Hansen third man up would be sufficient, so Spud could make way for a runner like Mullet or McKenzie.

The encouraging thing to see is how hard it is to squeeze people into this side. Competition for spots can only be a good thing! Patch Adams probably the unluckiest, would still imagine he'd play when fit I just found it hard to get him in with Turner really impressing early in his career.

_wato

Nice there Roo Boys, both very good looking teams. Love your comment both Mullett and Firrito as they are quite easily interchangeable regarding the opposition so a very good call there on your behalf.

I like the presence of Ziebell up forward, a bit like Dangerfield is for Adelaide - start up forward and move into the midfield, could be very dangerous. I would actually start Brown at CHF and hopefully give Waite the opportunity on a HFF to get the third defender and allow Brown to move up the ground and sacrifice his game a little - Ziebell deep forward with Petrie working in tandem out of the square is a very scary prospect. My team I would choose if I was Brad Scott..

FB: Hansen Thompson Firrito
HB: McDonald Grima Gibson
C: Dal Santo Cunnington Wells
HF: Harvey Brown Waite
FF: Thomas Petrie Ziebell
R: Goldstein Swallow Greenwood

INT: Higgins Turner Wright Atley

The thing North has identified is the mix of good outside and inside runners now, and they're pace and pressure is absolutely terrific - led by their skipper and young Turner who has to be in the team. The addition of Waite is huge and Higgins adds another scoring option (40+ goals easy) or as a running half back - would prefer him up forward though.
Defence looks so much better with Hansen there as it allows him the ability to play third man up and be extremely effective at the contests and as a one on one defender - Wright and Atley both have the ability to come on and play a role also.

North will make top 4 in my opinion, depending on their draw and injury toll and what not, but the early signs are looking absolutely fantastic. Love how active they've been lately in the trade periods (NDS, Waite, Higgins etc) and their list management/recruiting/drafting has been spot on.

WCarey18

Updated OP to include Greenwood, and best 22 with positional change suggestions.

Hoggyz_a_legend

What's the go with Macmillan? Do people think he can regain his spot in the best 22? Or will he continue to be a fringe player?

frenzy

Quote from: Hoggyz_a_legend on January 26, 2015, 01:16:12 PM
What's the go with Macmillan? Do people think he can regain his spot in the best 22? Or will he continue to be a fringe player?

punching on for a spot I hope, but where do you fit them in the twenty two is the question. The jury is still out, on whether recruiting Waite and Missy will be a master stroke or a failure, but that's two less spots to get a game. Then you got the likes of Wood MacMillan Garner Tippet McMahon Turner Wright Jacobs Bastinac Atley Brown Dumont ( did I miss anybody?) Currie Daw Tarrant McKenzie  Black Mullet.... not to mention rookies... Nahas and Warren...   One would hope like hell that these blokes would be smashing the living suit case out of each other to get a senior game, because hardly any of them are in the best 22. What hope in hell do the 2014 recruits have of getting a jumper? :)

FB:   Firrito Grima Hansen

HB:   McDonald Thompson Dal Santo

C:   Gibson Cunners Wells

HF:  Harvey Waite Adams

FF:  Thomas Petrie Brown/Black or Turner

R:  Goldy Spitta Ziebell

BENCH:  Missy McMillan  Wright Bastinac

Really only one forward pocket position up for grabs A.T.M.

frenzy

Quote from: frenzy on January 27, 2015, 08:53:36 PM

Bye week boredom has driven me to have a look at games played thus far by the best 22.   (out of 12 Games).

FB:   Firrito (12)    Grima (0)    Hansen (7)

HB:   McDonald (7)  Thompson (12)   Dal Santo (3)

C:   Gibson (12)    Cunners (12)    Wells (2)

HF:  Harvey (12)    Waite (11)    Adams (0)

FF:  Thomas (12)   Petrie (12)   Brown (10)

R:  Goldy (12)    Spitta (10)   Ziebell (12)

BENCH:  Missy (12)   McMillan [8]    Wright (12)   Bastinac (10)

others of note;  Turner (6)  Wood (6)  Dumont (6)  Jacobs (10)  Nahas (11)  Tarrant (10)