Swans Grand Final Thread

Started by stew42, September 20, 2014, 08:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tor01doc

GET A SALARY CAP.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND LEVEL PLAYING FIELD?

THIS IS NOT THE EPL.

I CAN AFFORD A BEER IN SYDNEY.

IT MAY WELL BE LIKE ROOTING YOUR SISTER.

Capper

Dont be a hater Doc and what you and your sister do is up to you.

Bounce the ball already!!!!

Vinny

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: tor01doc on September 27, 2014, 02:33:50 AM
GET A SALARY CAP.

THIS IS NOT THE EPL.

All teams need an advantage.

Hawthorn got a silly amount of priority picks.

Geelong got a lot of father son picks.

Sydney is better at recycling players  :)

Ziplock

Quote from: tor01doc on September 27, 2014, 02:33:50 AM
GET A SALARY CAP.

THIS IS NOT THE EPL.

I'm sick of seeing this in every thread- I went out of my way to crunch the numbers a few months ago and posted it in one of the discussions on cola, and it is significantly more expensive to live in sydney than any other Australian city... which probably wouldn't be an issue if NSW was an AFL state, but it's not which means there needs to be some form of compensation in place to bridge that cost of living to avoid having players constantly jumping ship.

That being said, the current application of COLA is flawed, and the extra 10% should have been capped at like 500k or something.

For most players COLA just offsets the cost of living, like the average AFL wage is like 240k a year or something, so with COLA that just increases to 264k, it just stops them having a reason to leave because of the higher cost of living.

In the case of tippett/ franklin.... honestly, sydney's offers probably would have been seriously considered regardless of cola- imo buddy at least definitely would have signed with the swans- regardless of whether he was getting like 900k without cola or 1 mil with cola, a 9 year contract would have trumped anything else offered.

tbagrocks

Some people think the Swans are cheating because they can afford to pay the second best player in the game a million

However

Im happy they are cheats, stops those flowering hawks from winning again ;D

GO SWANS, INTERSTATE CLUBS RULE

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Ziplock on September 27, 2014, 01:18:42 PM
In the case of tippett/ franklin.... honestly, sydney's offers probably would have been seriously considered regardless of cola- imo buddy at least definitely would have signed with the swans- regardless of whether he was getting like 900k without cola or 1 mil with cola, a 9 year contract would have trumped anything else offered.

Yup, the 9 year deal wasn't gonna be matched at 9.8% less and taking 80k off Tippett's salary doesn't change much either.

Just ignore it, people will constantly spew mindless anti-NSW garbage as long as they become more successful.

Look at what rounds the Sydney players were taken in the draft vs. the ones Hawthorn were taken in and it shows you pretty clearly

Capper

Well i have now watched 3 live games this year of the Swans

GWS round 1 - loss
Richmond Round 23 - loss
GF - loss

Vinny

Goodes is 100% playing next season

Mailman the 2nd

Disappointed that we didn't make it a good Grand Final, was as poor as the 2013 GF in terms of the errors we made.

Frustrated seeing as we were the best team over the course of the season but just didn't turn up at all on the day, with only a select few earning the right to hold their heads high.

Well played Hawthorn, we've gotta come twice as hard next year

stew42

Here's what I posted on another page:

Ok warning, this'll be the long one:
Firstly the good news (what little there was):

1. The support. On the tram through the city there were nine swans supporters and zero hawks supporters. And we weren't completely outnumbered in terms of bums on seats either, which was great. But the best thing was that very few people left before the final siren. Say what you will (and I may be referencing some posts on this page), but we're a dedicated group of fans who love our team. Hell yeah!

2. Nick Smith. He shut down Rioli magnificently, being a bright light in an otherwise dull and dim defence. Although I'm not sure how much I should credit Rioli's lack of match fitness...

3. Our fwd line wasn't as bad as our mids or defence.

And now the bad...
1. Defence. It was pretty abominable from the start. Silly little handballs, faffing around with it, cost us multiple goals in the first quarter. Although thankfully that stopped, our disposal efficiency was terrible for the rest of the game.

2. Defence, part 2. When the game was basically lost after half time, you'd think the boys would put in a bit more grunt and fight, but no. The hawks continued to take easy marks in their fwd 50. By giving 5+ metres of space to their opponents, the defenders didn't look like they wanted to be there. It made the second half that much more painful.

3. Midfield. They simply didn't want the footy nearly as much as the Hawks did. The Hawks midfielders nearly always won the hard inside ball (except when JPK decided to pull his finger out), and they always found space on the outside for easy delivery to their fwds. I wonder if anyone (Cunners?) was told to stick to Hill. Certainly didn't look like it. The most damning stat of the night was that they nearly DOUBLED us in uncontested possessions. They gathered the ball at will, making us look slow. What's worse, when we did get the ball, we'd cough it up often, with a poor disposal efficiency of 69%
What could've helped? Kennedy was alright, McVeigh did an alright job to patch up our defence, but the rest, Jack, Hanners, Cunners, Parker and Lloyd simply didn't show. Would a few stronger bodies help? Someone like a Mitchell, who I believe is set to dominate next year, or a younger O'Keefe? Personally I doubt it, probably more of a psychological thing than anything else.

4. Fwd structure. I'm a bit curious as to why Tippett spent so much time in the ruck. He plays his best in the fwd 50, taking bulk marks and kicking bulk goals. If Pyke doesn't have the tank/skills to play out a game in the centre, then we have a problem that needs fixing in the off season.

Thoughts? I reckon it was the worst game we played all year. However, time to move on and focus on 2015, which shows plenty of promise. Go bloods!!!!!!!

Capper

The one thing that i hate the most that we do alot of is the kick around the corner. We did it all day and it came back straight away each time.

Dudge

My only take on the game, was the Hawks were amazing, and would of beaten most teams on the day. You Swan supporters, don't even know what -  sadness- embarrassment-helplessness-soul destroying-kick the dog-no future-get the tarps out the shed- cater for 13000 to 14000 thousand supporters- handouts- be the laughing stock of the AFL-take showere from the Crows supporters- have a song about playing the bye-having a record in GF's that may never be surpassed :(-having every team or opposition supporter say "it's not as bad as 2007 " then you can feel glum. There's no way you guys will ever be in our position, so chin up and look forward to next year

Dudge

Quote from: Dudge on September 28, 2014, 06:32:07 PM
My only take on the game, was the Hawks were amazing, and would of beaten most teams on the day. You Swan supporters, don't even know what -  sadness- embarrassment-helplessness-soul destroying-kick the dog-no future-get the tarps out the shed- cater for 13000 to 14000 thousand supporters- handouts- be the laughing stock of the AFL-take showere from the Crows supporters- have a song about playing the bye-having a record in GF's that may never be surpassed :(-having every team or opposition supporter say "it's not as bad as 2007 " then you can feel glum. There's no way you guys will ever be in our position, so chin up and look forward to next year

Ps - forgot - send the Power to Tasmania

My Chumps

I don't even wanna talk about it :(