Main Menu

2014 VFL Grand Final

Started by meow meow, September 17, 2014, 10:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meow meow

BOX HILL HAWKS vs FOOTSCRAY BULLDOGS - 2:15 Sunday at Etihat Stadium

Dogs made the Grand Final in our first year as a stand-alone club. Defeated the mighty Port Melbourne to earn a shot at the premiership.

Hawks looking to go back-to-back. Just got over the line against the Dogs' former VFL affiliated team and 2014 Foxtel Cup winners Williamstown.

Lin Jong to be best on and Liam Jones to kick a bag to inflate his asking price since he's probably seeking a trade.

Footscray (then known as the-tri colours) have good form in VFA/VFL Grand Finals. Last time we were in this competition (1886-1924) and after the 1896 split that saw the VFL (now AFL) formed, we won 9 premierships between 1898 and 1924. This included a hat-trick from 1898 to 1900 and four premierships between 1919 and 1924. Then joined the VFL in 1925. Time to reclaim our dominance!

Mat0369

The Dogs smashed Port in the last quarter. I had no idea Jordan Russell was playing for the Dogs until I saw the game on the weekend. He was the co-captain with I think Prismall on the day. He ended up kicking one after the siren which I think was the 10th goal of the last quarter. The Hawks looked good with Big Boy in the team, I think he might get a call up to the seniors this week, but if Cyril comes through the reserves this weekend (which I doubt) that should make it an interesting game to watch. Litherland, Shoenmakers and Suckling might also all be suiting up for Box Hill

meow meow

Nick Lower is the captain of the VFL side and Russell and Prismal were just filling in for the injured captain.

Cyril won't be allowed to play since he hasn't played any VFL games this year. They got away with McEvoy being allowed to play despite playing 1 less game than the required amount but allowing Rioli to get a run is simply unfair. That'd be like us being allowed to put Griffen in.

Mat0369

The reason they had to get an exemption for Big Boy is that the Hawks had a week off going straight into the prelim. If the AFL side has a final that week they can play whomever they like in the reserves making Big Boy eligible along with Cyril for the VFL GF if they choose to play them in the reserves this week.

Mat0369

Mat0369

And an article from after the game

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/box-hill-hawks-looking-to-go-backtoback-in-vfl-grand-final-20140914-10gupa.html

QuoteThere will be no questions asked about his validity in the team next week as all Hawthorn-listed players are eligible to play in the VFL grand final because its AFL team plays on the same weekend.
It means Ryan Schoenmakers, who had a quiet display in the Young Guns exhibition game as the curtain raiser to the clash, and Matt Suckling, who missed because he failed a fitness test on Friday, and even perhaps Cyril Rioli  - if Hawthorn saw it as a preferred option - could play in the VFL grand final against the Dogs next week.

Capper

i couldnt see them risking any of those 3 last weekend though

Nige

Capper

And Cyril is in for Box Hill!!!!

Mat0369

It is his first game in the VFL ever

Nige

Full back    32. M Talia    43. J Redpath    47. M Austin
Half back    33. S Darley    37. L Markovic    31. T Young
Centreline    39. J Johannisen    44. B. Goodes    30. C Howard
Half forward    1. J Grant    19. L Jones    15. J Tutt
Full forward    29. T Dickson    45. T Campbell    34. A Greenwood
Followers    49. A. Cordy    46. L Jong    55. N Lower
Interchange (from)    65. J Russell    56. W Hayes    59. M Jensen
     57. M. Fogarty    22. M Honeychurch    68. A. Barry
     50. B Prismall    51. J. Perkins    20. D Pearce

That's the Footscray team.

Nick Lower might play.  :o

Big Mac

Considering going to this game

Mr.Craig

Based on squads alone, Box Hill will destroy.

Big Mac

Quote from: Mr.Craig on September 20, 2014, 11:39:55 AM
Based on squads alone, Box Hill will destroy.

You don't think it will be much of a game?

Mr.Craig

Will be if you're a Box Hill supporter. I may possibly be a tad biased though.  ;) Doesn't help that I don't rate a number of those Bulldog players.