Main Menu

Where to now for the Tigers

Started by shaker, September 07, 2014, 07:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Shane Edwards is ranked in the top 5 for small forward/midfield-type players according to the AFL player rankings, and is 63rd overall in the comp. Do not need to chop guys like him. As for Morris, he has poor decision making at times and his kicking is ordinary, but at least he gives it his all, was one of the only guys willing to throw their body in hard at the contest today from the bits of the game that I saw

Agreed, there is some dead wood that needs to be moved on, but a lot of clubs have the same. We should look at adding some young players to the list rather than the 24yo's we have picked up in the past through the drafts, but by no means do we need a full rebuild

shaker

Quote from: Toga on September 07, 2014, 09:24:21 PM
Shane Edwards is ranked in the top 5 for small forward/midfield-type players according to the AFL player rankings, and is 63rd overall in the comp. Do not need to chop guys like him. As for Morris, he has poor decision making at times and his kicking is ordinary, but at least he gives it his all, was one of the only guys willing to throw their body in hard at the contest today from the bits of the game that I saw

Agreed, there is some dead wood that needs to be moved on, but a lot of clubs have the same. We should look at adding some young players to the list rather than the 24yo's we have picked up in the past through the drafts, but by no means do we need a full rebuild

You also think Edwards is very good player and that is fine I just want to know what everyone is thinking after today and I probably should have waited till tomorrow really , I am glad to see you think we should get youth this trade period and no we don't need a full rebuild but without a youth injection this could change quickly

Nige

Morris is as hard as cat's head. What he lacks in skill he makes up in heart. Always gives 110% and leaves nothing in the tank. I'd prefer to see him stay as he's got more commitment than 90% of the team, and Dimma loves him as well.

Toga

Didn't have a good day this weekend, but overall I think his season has been pretty solid ;)

shaker

What about some of the other guys I put up ?

Nige

Hampson - In hindsight wasn't a very good pick up. Clearly lacks the skill around the ground to be of any value but his tap work is top notch and without him at the start of the season when Ivvy wasn't fit we would have been even more stuffed than we already were. Not sure if he has any development left in him, but he's younger than Orren Stephenson and might as well be kept around in case Ivvy goes down again. Let's hope we can sharpen his skills in the off-season and pre-season.

Knights - Plenty of talent, even has that bit of class and x-factor about him imo. Unfortunately doesn't have much luck with injuries but in the games he has played for us he's been superb and if he can stay fit, expect him to be best 22 next season as long as we don't lose patience with him and move him in.

Lloyd - He was a revelation for us earlier in the season and performed rather consistently for a patch before his form dived. Shown enough to persist with and honestly reckon he was a real find. Plays his role well and should definitely improve with another AFL pre-season under his belt.

Petterd - Much maligned but I firmly believe he's a good player. Performs his role better than most and Dimma is a fan. May not be the most gifted bloke or have the silkiest skills but he's definitely a guy I think is an important part of our team.

Dea - I really like this guy but seems to be in and out of the team. It's unfortunate, but he may be one of boys that gets culled if we do take the tough approach to fixing the list up a little.

Batchelor - Another boy that isn't as bad as some say. I like him and think he has something to offer. Probably a rotation/fringe player but there are a number of boys on our list that should be moved on before him and I'd be very disappointed to see Batch not be at Richmond in 2015.

Lennon - Still young and will be a real player some day, give the lad time and more games next year and watch him shine.

McBean - The wait will be worth it. Still lean and needs to add to his frame over the break to be ready to go Round 1 next year, but he's a machine and finished second in the VFL goalkicking so you can't knock the kid at all. Was always gonna be a kid that took a number of years.

Gordon - Has showed his worth in a number of games this year at times and should definitely be persisted with as he's got something about him that others do not. I reckon he's best 22 and should probably be starting Round 1 next year.

Foley - Thought his time was up, but Jacko's retirement means that Foley is crucial to our side as far as leadership and experience goes. If he stays fit, keep him on for as long as he wants or his body allows because he seems to still be a pretty consistent performer even though he is getting on.

Newman - If you want to move Newy on, get out. One of the pillars of the club and I can't imagine it without it him. Likely to be his last year in 2015 but he's still doing well these days and his leadership and experience are invaluable and it's games like today's where we need somebody like him around. The boys aren't ready to soldier on without him.

shaker

Well done Nigey now we are talking , out of them Lennon Mcbean Gordon are there , Foley with Jacksons sudden demise we can do for another year maybe his role might be changed into the forwards full time ? and Newman what ever he wants for another year he has earned it the rest are cannon fodder for me and as for the Edwards bros well I suppose I can grit my teeth for another year but Aaron has to go , but now are any of these guys worth draft picks ?

Jroo

Edwards is ranked as the fourth best MID/FWD in the game, over the last two years. Only Stevie J, Zorko and Boomer are ahead of him. Fair effort. This based on AFL Player ratings and are way more reliable than SC points.

Ziplock

Quote from: JROO8 on September 08, 2014, 10:27:38 AM
Edwards is ranked as the fourth best MID/FWD in the game, over the last two years. Only Stevie J, Zorko and Boomer are ahead of him. Fair effort. This based on AFL Player ratings and are way more reliable than SC points.

The AFL rankings are a POS though.

Jroo

Quote from: Ziplock on September 08, 2014, 10:52:21 AM
Quote from: JROO8 on September 08, 2014, 10:27:38 AM

The AFL rankings are a POS though.
It might be, but it's more reliable than SC points, even though they're similar.

Nige

Quote from: shaker on September 07, 2014, 10:29:00 PM
Well done Nigey now we are talking , out of them Lennon Mcbean Gordon are there , Foley with Jacksons sudden demise we can do for another year maybe his role might be changed into the forwards full time ? and Newman what ever he wants for another year he has earned it the rest are cannon fodder for me and as for the Edwards bros well I suppose I can grit my teeth for another year but Aaron has to go , but now are any of these guys worth draft picks ?
I only agree with the fact that Aaron Edwards is done.

shaker

Quote from: NigeyS on September 08, 2014, 11:04:36 AM

I think you are reading what I'm saying wrong I know that most of the players on our list have to be there but with Pushup and Jackson gone if we can delist another 4 maybe players like Helbig Dea Batchelor Knights A Edwards whoever and get six 18 year olds onto our list not to all play round 1 next year if we are lucky maybe blood 1 or 2 sometime during the season , lets face it our VFL team has been very average the last couple of seasons this will not be an instant success but feel it will head us in the right direction , teams like the Swans and Hawks seem to have young guys putting pressure on the older players to hold there spots but we don't seem to have that luxury yet but it will come if we get youth into our squad

Jroo

Quote from: shaker on September 08, 2014, 11:34:46 AM
Quote from: NigeyS on September 08, 2014, 11:04:36 AM

I think you are reading what I'm saying wrong I know that most of the players on our list have to be there but with Pushup and Jackson gone if we can delist another 4 maybe players like Helbig Dea Batchelor Knights A Edwards whoever and get six 18 year olds onto our list not to all play round 1 next year if we are lucky maybe blood 1 or 2 sometime during the season , lets face it our VFL team has been very average the last couple of seasons this will not be an instant success but feel it will head us in the right direction , teams like the Swans and Hawks seem to have young guys putting pressure on the older players to hold there spots but we don't seem to have that luxury yet but it will come if we get youth into our squad
Helbig, Dea and Azza are likely to be delisted, but Batch won't be. Apart from yesterday, I think he's been good. Knights has another year left on his contract.
Being realistic, we can bring in as many kids as we want, they're not all going to be good, but it does give us a chance of finding new players, who can help take our team to the next level, so I get your point.

stew42

Quote from: JROO8 on September 07, 2014, 08:08:48 PM
There is absolutely no way I'd trade Titch, he's a gun. He's an A-Grade player now.
Morris I wouldn't be against trading, he hasn't had a great year. Yes he's been injured, but he's continued to make poor decisions and he's a poor kick.
Pls only one Titch in the AFL, and he wears the red and white  8)

Jroo

Quote from: stew42 on September 08, 2014, 11:40:24 AM
Quote from: JROO8 on September 07, 2014, 08:08:48 PM
There is absolutely no way I'd trade Titch, he's a gun. He's an A-Grade player now.
Morris I wouldn't be against trading, he hasn't had a great year. Yes he's been injured, but he's continued to make poor decisions and he's a poor kick.
Pls only one Titch in the AFL, and he wears the red and white  8)
flower off, Shane Edwards has been called Titch before that hack was even born.  :P