Main Menu

Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowls

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on October 12, 2017, 11:58:21 AM
yea they will probs take 24
Agree KB,  Dogs have really dug themselves a hole with Stringer.   Saad and Wilson add to back depth and free up McGrath.  Would like to see another quality midfielder/onballer. 

crowls

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 13, 2017, 08:08:07 PM
HS reporting Watts has picked Port

Rocky, Motlop and Watts is a pretty impressive coup for a weeks work
What have Port got to offer. 

Koop

Quote from: crowls on October 13, 2017, 08:39:40 PM

We dont hold the pick the Demons are after, so may require some creative accounting/swapping.

Purple 77

Quote from: Koop on October 13, 2017, 08:42:18 PM

We dont hold the pick the Demons are after, so may require some creative accounting/swapping.

Gut feel, reckon it will be:

Pick 30 + Pick 33

FOR

Watts + Pick 47

I think that's the equivalent of Watts FOR Pick 22 in the end, without checking the math.

Koop

Quote from: Purple 77 on October 13, 2017, 09:16:25 PM
Quote from: Koop on October 13, 2017, 08:42:18 PM

Gut feel, reckon it will be:

Pick 30 + Pick 33

FOR

Watts + Pick 47

I think that's the equivalent of Watts FOR Pick 22 in the end, without checking the math.

I'd be happy with that, I'm not sure if the club wants to take a pick in or not so may be next years second rounder instead of one of those picks, not sure though.

Dave085

Do Port actually need Rocky and Motlop? They have a good midfield and small forwards. I feel like they are now paying $650k and $500k for 2 players they don't actually need. 

Koop

Quote from: Dave085 on October 13, 2017, 10:21:01 PM

Do Port actually need Rocky and Motlop? They have a good midfield and small forwards. I feel like they are now paying $650k and $500k for 2 players they don't actually need.

Small forwards are a concern. Young hasn't been able to perform at AFL level this year. Sam Gray has done a fantastic job but theres definitely a spot on the forward flank for Motlop as I don't rate Neade whatsoever, but has been played out of necessity in the back half of the year.

Rocky not so much, but I'm not going to say no to him either. Probably spells trouble for a guy like Atley trying to get a few games next year though. Heard a few rumours about Rocky playing pre-dominately forward anyway.

Jukes

Quote from: Jukes on October 13, 2017, 05:32:24 PM
Also guys, I'm just trying to work out the draft points system. From my calcuations we gave up the equivalent to pick 34 if you ignore the swap of 2018 picks, I'm not too sure how you factor those in - half the point value maybe? If so it would become like pick 46 which would be an absolute bargain in terms of point equivalency, but that doesn't seem that right (11 and 46* for Smith, 24 and 26*, *2018 pick seems like it favours GWS a lot more than just pick 34/46 for Smith). Somebody on BF said we gave up equivalent of pick 50+ for Smith so idk.

Figured it out. We gave up the equivalent of pick 49 for Smith, which is freaking fantastic (obviously in reality the value isn't in line with the draft points and we gave up a bit more than pick 49-equivalent, but still a ripper trade

RaisyDaisy

Looking very likely that Mummy will be forced to retire

powersuperkents

Bearing in mind that I'm not familiar with the compensation rules of free agency, why did Geelong receive a first-rounder for Motlop?

Is it based purely on economic measures (accepted contract v. opportunity cost) or player value to the footy club?

GoLions

Quote from: powersuperkents on October 16, 2017, 11:45:01 AM
Bearing in mind that I'm not familiar with the compensation rules of free agency, why did Geelong receive a first-rounder for Motlop?

Is it based purely on economic measures (accepted contract v. opportunity cost) or player value to the footy club?
Apparently it depends on what % tier that player will sit in, compared to the salaries of every other player in the comp. If you sit in the top 5% (or something like that), then the compensation will be a first round pick. Then whatever the next tier is (presumably top 10-15%) will get you end of first round compo. And then maybe like top 20% gets you 2nd round compo.

I dunno the exact numbers, but it's based around that.

GoLions

Saad to Bombers is donion rings.

Holz

Quote from: GoLions on October 16, 2017, 11:54:28 AM

Apparently it depends on what % tier that player will sit in, compared to the salaries of every other player in the comp. If you sit in the top 5% (or something like that), then the compensation will be a first round pick. Then whatever the next tier is (presumably top 10-15%) will get you end of first round compo. And then maybe like top 20% gets you 2nd round compo.

its a complete joke.

The worst bit is its the pick after your 1st rounder though.

So if Lions traded a guy who barely is a top 5% in the salary they basically receive pick 2. Then if Richmond lost Dustin Martin they would only get pick 19.

it basically entices the weak teams to let go of established players making them even weaker. Then if a great team loses a superstar they get well below market value.

meow meow

Frawley was worth pick 2 tbh.

Purple 77

Quote from: Holz on October 16, 2017, 12:01:57 PM
Quote from: GoLions on October 16, 2017, 11:54:28 AM

its a complete joke.

The worst bit is its the pick after your 1st rounder though.

So if Lions traded a guy who barely is a top 5% in the salary they basically receive pick 2. Then if Richmond lost Dustin Martin they would only get pick 19.

it basically entices the weak teams to let go of established players making them even weaker. Then if a great team loses a superstar they get well below market value.

It's in part an equalisation strategy. Based on ladder positions, Richmond would be better equipped to lose Dustin Martin, than say Melbourne would be with James Frawley (at the time).

I personally have no issue with basing compensation based off ladder positions, I just have issue with how the compensation tier is worked out.