EPL 2014/15 Discussion and Banter Thread

Started by Tominator, August 17, 2014, 05:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue

I don't know how I have done this I ment to put it in the other thread. I'm blaming the ipad it does crazy thinks. How do I delete it?

Tominator

Fabregas looks like an amazing signing for Chelsea... And Andre Schurrle is gonna have a huge breakout year IMO

Jackross10

Hey fellas. What did Arsenal play in this morning? Was it actual champions league? What are the 'playoffs'?

Nige

Quote from: Jackross10 on August 20, 2014, 08:02:40 AM
Hey fellas. What did Arsenal play in this morning? Was it actual champions league? What are the 'playoffs'?
Qualification.

Jackross10

Quote from: NigeyS on August 20, 2014, 08:20:31 AM
Qualification.

I thought the top 4 finishers of EPL get straight in ? Not correct ?

Nige

Quote from: Jackross10 on August 20, 2014, 08:31:27 AM
Quote from: NigeyS on August 20, 2014, 08:20:31 AM
Qualification.

I thought the top 4 finishers of EPL get straight in ? Not correct ?
They do, but 4th has to get through the play-off round.

Tominator

A squad I'm really liking this season is Newcastle... Are there any Toon Army members on here?

They've made some very good signings in the off-season and on the whole have a pretty decent squad. Emmanuel Riviere knows how to find the net, Remy Cabella can show moments of freakish brilliance, Daryl Janmaat is a very solid replacement for Debuchy, Siem de Jong is another good pick-up and Jack Colback could prove a very shrewd acquisition. Newcastle looked good against City on the weekend; losing 2-0 to the Champions is far from an embarrassment.

I tip them to finish 8th this season, the best of the rest after the "big 7". Could definitely push for higher though like a couple of years ago... I think they're a club that Swansea can aspire to be like in a few years time when we can really establish ourselves as a solid EPL club.

Keeper27

Chelsea, Coty and Liverpool to be top 3. No particular order.
Arsenal to finish 4th.

United to battle everton, Newcastle and Swansea for Europa

Tominator

Quote from: Keeper27 on August 20, 2014, 12:43:55 PM
Chelsea, Coty and Liverpool to be top 3. No particular order.
Arsenal to finish 4th.

United to battle everton, Newcastle and Swansea for Europa

Can't see Swans finishing above 7th but would be fantastic if we did! IMO Europa League was more of a distraction last year, it may have given us some nice financial prize money but the Friday games in Russia and the edges of Europe harmed us for the EPL games. We lost more games than we should have, which is why we got dragged into the relegation battle.

On another note your avatars never cease to amaze me

Nige

This is kinda semi-EPL related... but did anyone see Demba Ba's shot on goal for Besiktas?

http://gfycat.com/BlushingWideHalcyon

dirkdiggler

Ok - here is the geeky answer
CL qualification is decided by where you finish in your domestic league and most importantly which country you play in.
The first 3 teams in England will automatically qualify for the Champions League - the 4th place team has to qualify ina 2 leg knockout game
Clubs from weaker leagues have it even tougher. For example Celtic from Scotland won their league but  still have to play 3 knockout games just to qualify. The reasoning behind this is a "co-ifficient" which is essentially a ranking of each domestic league in Europe. Each team then starts earning their own ranking points
So let's say Liverpool from England have a co-ifficient of 10 and Celtic of Scotland have co-ifficient of 5.
UEFA would give Liverpool 3 "points" for finishing 2nd in the EPL and would multiply those points by the co-ifficient i.e 30 points.
UEFA would give Celtic 4 "points" for winning the SPL and would multiply those points by the coifficient i.e 20 points.
Liverpool gain more points because they qualified from a harder league
To make matters worse for Celtic, if they qualfied for the CL proper...and win a match...they get points, again muitplied by the coifficient.
Two years ago, Man City finshed bottom of their CL group.....Celtic reached the QF. City actually gained more ranking points than Celtic.
Celtic pay the price for the awful standard of their domestic league...and the big clubs from the big leagues get richer and richer and the gap gets wider and wider. Football justice right there  ::)

Jackross10

Jackross10

City vs Liverpool on Tuesday morning. So keen! Sturridge hattrick 3-0.
Goodbye

Tominator

Some good games last night and some really dour ones. Couple of 0-0 draws which won't be replayed on "Classic EPL Matches" any time soon...

Can't help but fear for Crystal Palace after losing 3-1 at home to West Ham. Good goals from Zarate and Downing but not many expected West Ham to win so easily. Arsenal v Everton was a cracker - showed Everton might be being underestimated, and Arsenal still aren't a Top 2 prospect yet. Aaron Ramsey is going from strength to strength and has really hit the ground running this season with another goal last night

Glad my boys the Swans maintained a 100% winning record but still looked a bit below-par in the 1-0 win over Burnley. Sigurdsson provided the assist again - he's either scored or assisted all 3 of our goals so far.

Man City v Liverpool should be a belter

Keeper27

Uniteds easy start doesn't look so easy now.
A draw against burnley?
Losses to QPR, Everton, Chelsea and Leiscter and maybe to the Hammers?