EPL 2014/15 Discussion and Banter Thread

Started by Tominator, August 17, 2014, 05:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominator

EPL is back with a bang!! Huge night last night with some late goals to give Tottenham and Arsenal victories over lesser opponents, and some thrilling draws amongst Leicester v Everton and Sunderland v West Brom

And of course my boys SWANSEA taking down Manchester United, at Old Trafford if you don't mind     8)

What are your thoughts for the upcoming season? Who will stay up? Who will go down?

Post any thoughts or discussion you have about all things EPL in this thread. It's gonna be another great season and has already started out superbly!

Tominator

Feel free to do your own in a similar format as well!

Predicted Title Winner

Chelsea

Predicted Top Four

1. Chelsea
--------------------------------------------------------
2. Manchester City
3. Arsenal
4. Liverpool

Predicted Relegation Zone

It's almost impossible to predict as there are about 10-12 teams that could plausibly go down, but...

18. Leicester
19. Aston Villa
20. Burnley

Predicted Surprise Packet of 2014/15

Might not be a surprise for some but Arsenal could mount a serious tilt at the title if they can keep their stars free from injury. QPR could also surprise a few people as well given their transfer window - they've got Remy back too don't forget.

Predicted Slider of 2014/15

Crystal Palace may really struggle without Tony Pulis. Given they've only signed Brede Hangeland, Frazier Campbell and Martin Kelly over the summer, a reason why Pulis wanted out, I reckon they could get a bit closer to relegation this season. They were gone for all money until he took over from Ian Holloway, and they'll have to bring in either some quality signings or a quality manager or it could potentially be a nervy season.

First Sacking of 2014/15

Paul Lambert of Aston Villa. Did manage to get 3 points last night though... Sam Allardyce of West Ham may not be far behind either.

Thoughts on Your Team for 2014/15

Mine is Swansea. Boy wasn't last night a good start!!

At first I was a bit surprised Monk got the job full-time but I've really warmed to him and seems a good fit. Swansea have lost some key players from last season, but our replacements probably make our squad better as a whole. Michu, Vorm, Chico and Pablo Hernandez were all either disinterested, unreliable and/or in decline. Ben Davies is our biggest loss but everywhere we've lost players, we've replaced with arguably better ones. Gomis is a beastly striker, Sigurdsson is a jet and more reliable than Michu, Fabianski is a quality keeper, Montero is electrifying down the flanks, and hopefully we can get Federico Fernandez, the CB from Napoli. Also, De Guzman's loan has expired but so has Ki Sung-Yeung's, so we get him back. And we have to keep Wilfried Bony - that is crucial. So I'm optimistic for this season, hoping we can finish 10-13th if not higher.  Exciting season ahead, come on you Swans!

(written prior to last night)

Master Q

Think it will be Man City who take out the league this year.

We (Liverpool) play Southhampton tonight. Should get the win considering we bought most of their team  :P

Vinny

So pretty much after starting to follow EPL last season, I spent the whole year just watching games and not really supporting a team but just going for my fantasy players, haha. With convincing from mates, I have decided to go with Liverpool. Didn't want to support a City, Chelsea or United.

Plus I play as them on FM14 and Steven Gerrard is a beast in a real life. :P

Jackross10

So glad it's back.

Predicted Title Winner
Chelsea

Predicted Top Four
1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. Liverpool
4. City/United

It's almost impossible to predict as there are about 10-12 teams that could plausibly go down, but...

18. Leicester
19. WestHam
20. Burnley

Queens Park Rangers. With Remy, Mutch, Caulker and Rio, I think they will escape relegation quite easily.

Tottenham, have a feeling they won't be as good as most expect.

First Sacking of 2014/15
LVG. Haha nah not really sure  :o

Liverpool. Think our attack is lethal. Sturridge and Sterling are beasts. I think Lallana will have a good year when he is fit. Coutinho for the time being will be good aswell. I'm hoping they win the league but I think a top 4 is a v good chance.

elephants

So haaappy its baaaack!

Nathaniel Clyne's hair... What.

Vinny

elephants

Predicted Title Winner

Chelsea

Predicted Top Four

1. Chelsea
2. Manchester City
3. Arsenal
4. Liverpool

18. Crystal Palace
19. Aston Villa
20. Burnley

I just have this weird feeling that Spurs will be great under Ponch. Genuine top 4 chance in my book...

Yep, exactly what Tom said!

First Sacking of 2014/15

Tough one, not too sure. I'll go Redknapp just cause :P

Mine is Chelsea.

I've said enough about us over the off-season, anything less than the league would be a failure Imo!

blue

Predicted Title Winner
Chelsea

Predicted Top Four
1. Chelsea
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. Manchester City
5. Spurs
6. Everton

18. Stoke
19. Sunderland
20. Burnley

Liverpool will still push for the title. Costa for golden boot. QPR with Redknapp in charge and there signings could go top 10. Top 4 teams will be with in 5 points at the end of the season with the title being decided on the final day

Man U not really a slide but will not improve from last year. Stoke will be in a relegation battle

First Sacking of 2014/15
Who ever is in charge of Stoke. I would love it to LVG, I regard Man U as the collingwood of the EPL

Crystal palace
Losing the man who saved us last year is not a good start before the season even started, expecting to finish between 10th and 15th. Hopefully have a big signing and a manager by the end of the month and then be glad all over.

Nige

It took Fernando Torres 732 minutes of football to score his first goal for Chelsea...

...It took Diego Costa 17.

8)

Still love ya Nando.  :-*

T Dog

I like Nandos....its ok..don't love it though :P

Vinny

Already thread for this man. ;)

T Dog

Luigi197

Costa has confidence going for him. and that's all you need..

elephants

Beautiful performance from the Blues. Started slow but really put the foot on the gas when we went behind. Then cruised again after Iva tapped in.

Very lethal, keep it up 8)