Main Menu

HA HA!

Started by quinny88, July 13, 2014, 04:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

You should know that umpires can't decide distances Doc. This season i have seen 50 metres virtually 35 metres, some 10 metre kicks allowed. White not the only one we see probably at least one each week where the player appears to have gone over the 15 metres. What is the rule when players take steps to sidestep tacklers?

Toga

Quote from: NigeyS on July 13, 2014, 06:23:12 PM
It was arguably our biggest win.

Don't think there's any arguments on that count Nige... We hadn't beaten a team above us and Port were in the top 4 before the game so yeah I think it is our biggest :P

tor01doc

Quote from: Ringo on July 16, 2014, 10:02:57 AM
You should know that umpires can't decide distances Doc. This season i have seen 50 metres virtually 35 metres, some 10 metre kicks allowed. White not the only one we see probably at least one each week where the player appears to have gone over the 15 metres. What is the rule when players take steps to sidestep tacklers?

Great 'goal' in that case.

Quite exciting. Pity it wasn't the sealer as then it would have shut up all those emotionally fragile Richmond supporters.

Ziplock

Umpires have a history of misjudging distances with runs like that... like Jetta's in the final vs (collingwood?).

White got it like 60m out and ran it just into the 50. Ethiad is 160m long, so subtracting the initial 60 and then the (47?)m away from goal, that means he ran 53m. He took 3 bounces in the process, so he ran 15m bounce, 15m bounce (30m total), 15m bounce (45m total), then has another 15m to run before taking a bounce (60m).

So if he'd been running in a straight line he would have been well under.... he didn't run exactly straight though, and the curve he took probably would have added on more metres... but honestly I don't think he was particularly over for any of his bounces... the 3rd one might have been, but it's going to be a pretty strict umpire who'd have to be really, really flowering confident in their distance estimation to call someone out when they've run 17-18m without a bounce instead of 15... an if it turned out it had been 15 for a run like that they'd be looking for a new job. 

Mailman the 2nd

He would've run at least 10 metres while taking the 3 bounces, which aren't counted towards any kind of free kick

Ricochet

Yep exactly. He only ran about 60-65m. Certainly no reason to ruin goal of the year ;)

tor01doc

I'm on board now as I really don't want Eddie Betts to get GOTY.

I'd rather he get STUFFED.

Ziplock

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on July 16, 2014, 12:34:46 PM
He would've run at least 10 metres while taking the 3 bounces, which aren't counted towards any kind of free kick

I wasn't sure whether the distance covered while bouncing counted towards the distance or not. If it doesn't, then he'd have been fine.

Toga

Quote from: Ricochet on July 16, 2014, 12:35:40 PM
Yep exactly. He only ran about 60-65m. Certainly no reason to ruin goal of the year ;)

Sure hope it gets GOTY! Was a ripper

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Ziplock on July 16, 2014, 12:45:06 PM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on July 16, 2014, 12:34:46 PM

I wasn't sure whether the distance covered while bouncing counted towards the distance or not. If it doesn't, then he'd have been fine.

It might in the rulebook, but I couldn't see any umpires calling it that way. Its why Jetta got so far in 2012 as well

tor01doc

18 steps at that pace would measure at least 25 metres.

Usain Bolt won Olympic Gold in London over 100m - 41 steps!!

Using those figures he can run 44 metres in 18 steps and that doesn't even take into consideration his steps straight after the start which are obviously a fair bit shorter.

Great goal - as much a goal as that 'goal' Hawkins kicked in that GF that hit the post.

Ricochet

Fairly certain that umps use about 10 steps as a 'guide' to a player running 15m.

Jay

Quote from: tor01doc on July 16, 2014, 12:43:58 PM
I'm on board now as I really don't want Eddie Betts to get GOTY.

I'd rather he get STUFFED.
The Eddie Betts pocket!  :-*

Mailman the 2nd

You're pretty much getting hung up on a technicality that its possible that he could've been a metre or 2 over the limit and it just makes you sound salty lol.

He clearly deserved the goal, not to mention it didn't even impact the result of the game so idk what you're complaining about

Bill Manspeaker

definitely deserves the goal. we were right all those years ago, just took a move away from home and for his team to not waste him as the sub for him to get there. gun 8)