2014 Review and Rule discussions for 2015.

Started by Ringo, June 24, 2014, 02:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spite

Yes that's what ringo proposed and I like that. I should have quoted memph sorry

kilbluff1985

JBs-Hawks

I dont think it should decide positions just should be a regular 4 points  but top teams should  still play eachother

SydneyRox

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on November 04, 2014, 03:34:39 PM
I dont think it should decide positions just should be a regular 4 points  but top teams should  still play eachother

I like this idea better too.

Nige

Quote from: SydneyRox on November 04, 2014, 04:19:27 PM

Ringo

Quote from: Nige on November 04, 2014, 04:20:15 PM
Quote from: SydneyRox on November 04, 2014, 04:19:27 PM

Just to clarify for these comments.

After Round 16 when all teams have played each other once the 4 points per game will finish.

Teams will then be split into 4 groups:
Teams finishing 1 - 4
Teams finishing 5 - 8
Teams finishing 9 - 12
Teams finishing 13 - 16.

For the next 3 weeks groups play each other to decide finishing position in Group and overall eg Winner of Group 3 say will finish 9th with runner up 10th 2nd eliminated 11 th and first eliminated 12th as the example.

Then once positions are decided Teams 1 - 8 play of for the premiership Cup and Teams 9 - 16 play off for the Patrons Plate.

Regarding Memphs idea with restings for GF and I will have to explore further we could move the North v South Challenge to Round 23 and have our GF corresponding to AFL Round 22.

The only thing I am not really certain of is how do we sort the finishing order for draft orders etc as to me there are three possible options:

1) Order as per the end of home and away
2) Order after the group playoffs
3) Order after the Finals. That is how you fare in finals as it maybe for the 8th placed team to finish 1st. so 8th becomes first and so on.

Keep the discussion going as it is something to look at for next year reasonable amount of time left,

SydneyRox

I think the hard part is what you have outlined in regards to the draft picks Ringo.

Which is why I like the idea of the playing the 3 teams in each group to finish the season for points rather than a "knockout"

think the draft picks need to go on bottom 8 as per season then top 8 as per the finals.

Memphs idea for a rnd 22 final has merit as well, was carnage this year!

Rusty00

Quote from: SydneyRox on November 04, 2014, 04:45:18 PM
think the draft picks need to go on bottom 8 as per season then top 8 as per the finals.
I totally agree with this statement.

Not sure about the rest as yet, but I think I'd prefer to keep playing for 4 points all the way through to the finals.

Spite

Yep 4 points throughout and GF in round 22 is a good idea too

Ringo

OK Listening to the discussion and it seems that people want the three round round robin to be for 4 points per game. So rather than knock out I can do the draw for the three weeks to play each other once for points.

How about this for a further suggestion for the  bye rounds and to allow for Final in Round 22 for the 3 Bye Rounds we have a 12 competitions 3 def 3mids 1 ruck 3 fwds 2 utilities with emergencies as well  instead of 15's.  All other rules still the same.

Thoughts on this

Spite

Personally don't like switching format mid season to best 12. I think you've handled the byes really well in the past two seasons

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: Ringo on November 04, 2014, 08:37:52 PM
OK Listening to the discussion and it seems that people want the three round round robin to be for 4 points per game. So rather than knock out I can do the draw for the three weeks to play each other once for points.

How about this for a further suggestion for the  bye rounds and to allow for Final in Round 22 for the 3 Bye Rounds we have a 12 competitions 3 def 3mids 1 ruck 3 fwds 2 utilities with emergencies as well  instead of 15's.  All other rules still the same.

Thoughts on this

If you want to do that then i reckon do the double up games then and do it by this years ladder positions?

Ringo

Just to answer the last 2 queries

@ Spite it is a suggestion for next years byes so we can have GF at AFL Round 22 instead of Round 23 with restings effecting finals. Happy to continue discussion on this as I have no firm views either way.

@ JBs_Hawks What will happen at the end of Round 15 next year comp will split into the 4 groups based on ladder positions then and then play the round Robin for points if that is what coaches decide.

Great to see some discussions starting to take place.

nrich102

I like the original idea, but don't like the idea of best 12 during the byes.

Ringo

OK Guys some further discussion required.  I have just done an initial draw and this is how it will work.  Will list the major problem at end for discussion.

AFL Rounds 1 - 15 will be a home and away round robin
Comp will then split into 4 divisions based on table position at end of 15 round.
They will play a round robin over the next 3 weeks which is AFL Rounds 16 - 18. (Will be for points as well)
Then Top 8 play off for championship and bottom 8 for plate.  AFL Rounds 19 - 22 with final in Round 22 week before final AFL Round.

So problem is the 3 bye rounds with 6 AFL Teams having a bye from rounds 11 - 13.

How do we handle this.  As I see it we have a couple of options:
1) Do away with the 3 Round Robin and have no comp for the 3 bye rounds.
2) Have only the best 12 scores applied for the bye rounds with no HGA.
3) Factor in the teams with byes eg Teams with Round 11 byes scores from Round 12 also count for Round 11. Teams with Round 12 Byes will have their Round 13 score added to their Round 12 score. And Teams with Round 13 bye will have Round 14 score added. Teams to be named as usual for each week. Only for players named with the bye.
4) No change and donuts recorded where full team not able to fielded,
Know a bit complicated but can we have some discussions or other alternatives on how to score the bye rounds.