Main Menu

Tigers mourn Tommy Hafey

Started by Toga, May 12, 2014, 06:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Richmond is mourning the passing of the greatest coach in its history, Tommy Hafey.

The four-time Tigers premiership coach died today after losing his battle with cancer.

Hafey, who also was named coach of Richmonds Team of the Century in 1999, and is one of only five Tiger Immortals, was 82 years old.

This is an extremely sad day in Richmonds history, to have lost a giant of the Club in Tommy Hafey, said Richmondss CEO Brendon Gale.

Tommy means so much to the Richmond Football Club.  He has had an enormous influence on so many people connected with the Club.

His coaching achievements at Tigerland are legendary, and he was a constant source of inspiration to the Yellow and Black.

Tommy was a fine example of how to get the most out of life, his mantra of hard work, discipline, dedication, persistence, honesty, loyalty, integrity, good health and vitality, was not only the recipe for success on the football field, but success in his wonderful life.

At this time, our thoughts are with Tommys wife Maureen, their children Rhonda, Karen and Jo, and the extended family.

The Richmond Football Club will pay a special tribute to Tommy Hafey at Saturdays game against Melbourne at the MCG, with details to be confirmed in the coming days.

Devastating news, RIP Tommy. Will be remembered as both a club great, and a great man. Best wishes to his friends and family.

Jroo

Spite

RIP Tom Hafey. I attended one of his talks and it has stayed with me forever, such an inspirational man. Such a loss :(

Frankfaust1

Very sad loss. A fine fellow. Undoubtedly the best of Richmond. Will be missed.  :( :'(

AaronKirk

RIP Tommy  :(

What an inspirational man he was. He passing is a massive loss. Our thoughts at this time are with his family. He will be missed.

Noz

No matter who you support you had to respect one of the all time greats. Tom Hafey was just that, He was a true legend of the game. A worthy inductee into both the Richmond hall of fame and the AFL hall of fame. Though Hafey didn't set the world on fire as a player he will go down as one of the all time greats due to his legendary coaching skills and one of the best coaches of all time. A truly inspirational man.

Tom Hafey. Rest in peace.

Mr.Craig

Andrew3747

Nige

:( R.I.P. Tommy Hafey, absolute legend of the game.

nrich102

Rusty00

Sad, sad news.

I was always amazed at how fit he kept himself with his diligent training routine, even once he started getting on in years.

He was a great football man.

Grazz

quinny88

Capper

Ringo

RIP Tommy - A real thinker of the game. Provided great insights as well.