Main Menu

Carlton H&A Discussion

Started by Vinny, May 06, 2014, 05:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny

What if randomly Malthouse is given a 4 year extension at the end of his contract? :P

Ricochet

Quote from: Mat0369 on May 25, 2014, 02:12:07 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on May 25, 2014, 01:45:38 PM
Haha wow. Thats huge. Even if he turns you into a top 4 team?

Yup. Top 4 or not, I just disagreed with how the club handled the whole situation and don't feel right buying a membership knowing he is coach. I have gone over the reasons I didn't agree a couple of times in various threads.

In Pagan's last year a lot of our members didn't buy memberships in protest of him being coach after the whole Barry Mitchell fiasco. I know quite a few people that when they called to renew their memberships they said when the coach is sacked and hung up. the difference between Carlton now and then is we had no money. Pratt wasn't the president yet and we were struggling both on and off the field. They couldn't afford to let Pagan go because they didn't have the money. I didn't exactly agree with their methods back then but I can see why they did it. Considering we are not on the verge of folding I am happy to protest with my money, it probably doesn't mean a hell of a lot in the grand scheme of things, but oh well.

I am about to go to the game, I am getting there when the gates open at 2.30 so I don't miss the lap of honour. The club has a tendency of scheduling this things rather early, so I am not taking any risks in missing it. I remember there was one game we did one of these a few years back, I turned up an hour early to find that they had done it 30 minutes prior. With the 150th celebrations who knows when they plan on doing it.
Fair enough mate. Very extreme but admire your passion/stance

Vinny

Happy with that win, got close in the end but we pulled through. Betts doing so well was sad to watch but good for him.

-Menzel is a gun when on fire.
-Yarran is one of the most exciting players to watch when on song, needs to find his consistency and then BANG.
-Reasonably happy with the way Murphy handled Kerridge, was quiet in the last but 25 touches is alright.
-I love the way Everitt has played for us so far this year.
-SIMPSON IS A MACHINE.

How was the game Mat?

kilbluff1985

Mat was arrested after assaulting Mick :P

Vinny

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on May 25, 2014, 09:39:42 PM
Mat was arrested after assaulting Mick :P
Hahahaha, I actually laughed aloud a little then.  ;D

Mat0369

Heath Scotland received a well deserved standing ovation during his lap of honour. He has been a star of the club when we were on our knees and continued to perform when we were pushing for finals. It is going to be sad to not be able to watch him pull on the Navy Blue jumper again.

The game itself, terrible game to watch. The boundary line shower has to end. You can see that Adelaide structure up a lot better compared to Carlton. Carlton in the first quarter were bringing all their players to one side of the ground, so the get out kick was either going to be a turn over or a contested ground level ball. They don't space and that is because they were expecting it boundary side. Even when they tried to switch it, there was one player in the defensive 50 to switch too, but everyone was on the opposite end of the ground so they had no options and were forced to go back to the original side they switched the play from. Adelaide were lining Pods up on one wing, JJ on the other, Betts at the feet of one and Cameron at the the other, Tex would sit at the base of the square and it allowed enough room for them to win the ball and bring it back inside to dangerous territory. They changed their ball movement in the second quarter when they got on top and looked in bounds and giving the ball to their runners. They also go into their shells way to early in quarters.

Murphy looked really impressive. He was powering away from Kerridge and was losing him in traffic with his running ability. He was not around the ball as much in the last but he looked brilliant the first 3 quarters. When Murphy was at his best a couple years ago he had a combination of an inside and outside game. He had a zip where he could just burn taggers off. While Kerridge had him for leg pace a couple of times Murph was finding ways to power into space.

The talls were woeful, Waite was the only one clunking them but couldn't kick at all. White played really well on Tex. Tex got caught crying for frees a few times while White attacked the ball, it is the best I have seen him play since 2011. Menzel was extremely dangerous, Yaz is a freak, he is easily one of our top 3 most important players. The way he breaks the lines and his ball use is just crazy. It is good to see him up the ground because that is where he is most dangerous. Betts playing for the Crows almost makes me want to cry. I am not sure what Danger was thinking at the end when he took the mark and played on, but I am very grateful, if Adelaide kick straight they win. We were really lucky to escape with the 4 points.

Vinny

Haha fair enough would have been nice to be there for the lap honour. Yeah like I said Betts doing well hurts, loved him. Murphy is a beast, his 76 SC is annoying fantasy wise but he is getting closer and closer to his best. As scrappy as the fake was and as terrible as the kicking was early on, I'm just stoked with 4 points. We really need to beat Brisbane next week.

Since you brought it up, who would you rank our Top 3 most important players as?

Mat0369

Quote from: Vinny on May 25, 2014, 10:11:02 PM
Haha fair enough would have been nice to be there for the lap honour. Yeah like I said Betts doing well hurts, loved him. Murphy is a beast, his 76 SC is annoying fantasy wise but he is getting closer and closer to his best. As scrappy as the fake was and as terrible as the kicking was early on, I'm just stoked with 4 points. We really need to beat Brisbane next week.

Since you brought it up, who would you rank our Top 3 most important players as?

When I saw his score I was really surprised. His vision was superb and his ball use looked really good most of the time.

Waite, Yaz and Hendo are the 3 most important guys. Waite is still so critical to the Carlton set up. His marking and athleticism just breaks up the play and causes so many headaches in terms of match-ups. Hendo can play both back and forward and is also really critical to the way the team sets up. He has slowed down and looks a bit out of form as a forward, it might be time to send him back but White, Rowe and Jamo have been really solid. I think we are seeing the effects of him tiring out.

Obviously you have the guys in the midfield, but I don't think guys like Simmo, Murph and Gibbs are irreplaceable. It would hurt if we were missing those guys, but I think other 3 are much more valuable.

Vinny

Interesting man. I agree with the midfielders, they aren't the irreplaceable but I'd cry if we lost any one of them, haha.

I would say:

1) Henderson
2) Jamison
3) Yarran/Waite

Henderson for reasons you said, his ability for him to play up forward and in defence is great for us but it says something. He was reasonably good at the start of the year but recently been average, he shouldn't be far from some good.

I can't emphasise how much I love watching Yarran, it's just so exciting whenever he starts running or even has the ball.

Oh my flowering god, Levi. Needs to get his kicking right, has such good hands. It's just so frustrating because he could be so good if he kicked straight. Kicked 4.6 so far this season, it will take time but it needs to improve.

Master Q

1. Simmo
2. Simmo
3. Simmo

Also, Levi should have been dropped weeks ago.

Mat0369

Levi is our Cloke but paid less. Good mark, can't kick for ish

Mat0369

Quote from: Master Q on May 25, 2014, 10:56:12 PM
1. Simmo
2. Simmo
3. Simmo

And in regards to this I have said I thought he should have been captain ahead of Murphy

I actually went back and had a look at the captain thread and found these  :P

Quote from: Mat0369 on December 10, 2012, 06:25:45 PM
Kade Simpson

Quote from: Mat0369 on December 10, 2012, 10:29:50 PM
Kade Simpson will be 29 next year. Back in 07 when the club dropped Whitnall for that period and had a rotating captaincy policy since Nick Stevens was injured, the club picked 5 players to rotate the captaincy through. Jarrad Waite was first up and the week after it was Simpsons turn. He did such a good job as the captain at that point they scrapped the rotation policy and just gave it to him. His form on the field was fantastic with the added responsibility. I think he should be given the job over the next couple of years. He is a natural born leader and I think he will benefit on the field from the appointment as well.

Quote from: Mat0369 on February 22, 2013, 07:19:20 PM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on February 22, 2013, 01:50:46 PM
"Carlton defender Nick Duigan has jumped to the front of the line as the potential captain of the Blues. Duigan will lead the Blues this weekend in their double header against the Swans and Giants.

- AFL.com.au'

:o

When I heard he was in the leadership group I said this

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on February 22, 2013, 03:19:00 PM
Nick Maxwell v2

However when the leadership group was announced they said that both Duigan and Waite were not putting their hands up for captain and it was a 3 way race.

As a Carlton supporter, I still say Kade Simpson should have been the captain after Judd and would have been the captain had they not got him at the end of 2007.

He may have not got the job, but he is one of our most important players and has a huge impact with his leadership on the field. Just look at the hits he took today, he gets crunched, gets up and goes again and again.

Vinny

Quote from: Mat0369 on May 25, 2014, 11:04:14 PM
Levi is our Cloke but paid less. Good mark, can't kick for ish
That's the key, now if he wants more money eventually he has to turn into a good player.

blue

Quote from: Vinny on May 25, 2014, 09:34:27 PM
Happy with that win, got close in the end but we pulled through. Betts doing so well was sad to watch but good for him.

-Menzel is a gun when on fire.
-Yarran is one of the most exciting players to watch when on song, needs to find his consistency and then BANG.
-Reasonably happy with the way Murphy handled Kerridge, was quiet in the last but 25 touches is alright.
-I love the way Everitt has played for us so far this year.
-SIMPSON IS A MACHINE.

How was the game Mat?
Have to agree with all of the vinny, but would also like to add that I'm liking what I see out of Docherty and Sam Rowe down back.
Daisy's best game for the blues by far, if only he could kick those goals. That's now 4 from 5. If it was not for the Melbourne loss. Hopefully carrots and Judd back this week.

shaker

A question for you Blue supporters Daisy had a much better game this week did he play a different role or just hit a bit of form got him in my team and was going to flick him this week but now undecided , do you think he is starting to hit his straps I know his fitness was down and in a new team just wanting to get some of your thoughts cheers  ;)