Main Menu

Dark days

Started by blue, April 06, 2014, 11:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Quote from: Mr.Craig on April 06, 2014, 11:34:22 PM
The drafting hasn't helped much. They could have had Jackson Merrett, Isaac Smith, Luke Parker and Luke Dunstan if they chose.

+ Trent Cotchin, remember that one. Boy am I glad Carlts tanked that game all those years ago now. :D

Surely Bell will look for greater opportunities elsewhere.

Nige

I was surprised that Bell got the vest, doesn't seem the like the type you'd make wear the green vest.

Doubt it would have sat well with him either, might explore come EOS.

Toga

Join your old buds Hampson & Griggy at the Tiges Belly, we'll give you games. ;)

Nige

Quote from: Toga on April 07, 2014, 05:11:19 PM
Join your old buds Hampson & Griggy at the Tiges Belly, we'll give you games. ;)
We've got enough mids queuing up as it is... but we'll happily take him.  8)

kilbluff1985

Vinny

Mat0369

Quote from: Spite on April 07, 2014, 04:56:58 PM
I think with all the flack that Watts got, Krezuer has been very very lucky. Write down a list of ruck and you'll note that kreuzer is about 11-12th. And he was a number 1 pick. That's pathetic. Cotchin was the pick after him. They grab cotchin, Sam Jacobs doesn't leave, you get a better ruckmen and a competent midfield too. That pick has cost the club nearly more than any other ridiculously bad picks in recent times.

There are a few things wrong with this assessment. Not to make excuses for Kreuz, but injuries have not been kind to him. He came to the club fresh off hip surgery, his second season was pretty good, he had an ACL injury in his 3rd, he came back and was pretty underdone the following year but continued to show glimpses, 2012 he was really good again with a couple of niggling injury concerns, last season he showed brilliant early season form before the finger injury, came back and played forward which doesn't suit him, moved into the ruck again and tore games apart, he was then moved forward again which made no sense in an attempt to fit Warnock into the side. Kreuz is one of the guys that is getting played out of position. His best position is in the ruck, his follow up work and work around the ground is what pushes him into the upper tier of the position, by being forced to play as a forward that takes away his best skillset. He should be Carlton's number 1 ruck with Casboult/Rowe spelling him, not Warnock. Warnock and Kreuz are not effective together in the same side due to the fact Warnock can't play forward.

Also Jacobs was a raw rookie listed prospect when they drafted Kreuzer. When Carlton took Kreuz, their rucks were Cam Cloke, Setants, Hammer in his second season and a rookie listed Sam Jacobs. The reason Jacobs was pushed out had to do with a few things. The first was that the club decided to bring in Robbie Warnock on a big contract. They felt they needed insurance in the ruck stocks and wanted to play 2 of Kreuz, Warnock, Hammer and Jacobs. The rules changed the year after they brought in Warnock introducing the sub, this meant the death of two pure rucks in the same side. Jacobs was out of contract and had to compete with Warnock and Hampson for a spot in the side, in terms of wanting playing time he knew he could go home to Adelaide and slot into their side. Due to Warnock and Jacobs being similar players in terms of guys who win the hitouts and don't do much else around the ground, the club felt Sauce was expendable since they had made such an investment in Warnock. So effectively the reason Jacobs was pushed out of Carlton had less to do with Kreuz and more to do with Warnock. Even if Carlton did not draft Kreuzer, it would have given them more of a reason to bring Warnock to the club and the Jacobs situation still would have panned out the way it did, the decision had everything to do with Robbie Warnock

To the Richmond supporters thinking they will get Bell, keep dreaming.

Mat0369

I watched On The Couch tonight and they brought up something interesting. 18 months ago, round 21 of the 2012 season, Carlton smashed the Bombers by 96 points. The next week Carlton lost to the GC at Metricon and Brett Ratten was sacked. This week Essendon smashed Carlton by 81 points

And to put some perspective into the 2012 GC game, Carlton lost by 12 points having kicked 11.20 to 15.8. Tom Lynch received 3 Brownlow votes for his performance that night. Carlton entered the match without Jamison and Henderson who were both injured. The intended opponent for Lynch was a young kid in Andrew McInnes who was in his 8th game of football but had performed really well in the previous weeks. McInnes tore his ACL in the first couple of minutes of the game forcing Bryce Gibbs to go to Lynch as they had basically run out of options. Lynch is 199 cm and 97 kg's, Gibbs is 188 cm and 86 kg's. A week after demolishing Essendon, the coach was sacked on the back of this performance.

kilbluff1985

Spite

Understand about the Sam Jacobs situation, that was fair enough.

Krezuer being played out of position...I agree but jack watts was too and it did not stop him from copping flack (although he didn't have injuries) There was a perfectly good Trent cotchin though but Carlton took an injured player who was a ruck (where ruck are usually more prone to injury due to the physical nature of the position), it's really just dumb. I think it's pretty clear to all recruiters now that you don't take a ruckmen within the first 15 and you trade for one for a first round pick later and it's all cool beans. At least you'll get a key forward in this years draft

Spite

Ps does Buckley have good JS?

Nige

Quote from: Mat0369 on April 08, 2014, 12:25:15 AM
To the Richmond supporters thinking they will get Bell, keep dreaming.
We're not thinking we'll get him.

We're telling him that the door is open for him if he wants to walk on in.  ;)

Mat0369

Quote from: Spite on April 08, 2014, 02:00:16 PM
Understand about the Sam Jacobs situation, that was fair enough.

Krezuer being played out of position...I agree but jack watts was too and it did not stop him from copping flack (although he didn't have injuries) There was a perfectly good Trent cotchin though but Carlton took an injured player who was a ruck (where ruck are usually more prone to injury due to the physical nature of the position), it's really just dumb. I think it's pretty clear to all recruiters now that you don't take a ruckmen within the first 15 and you trade for one for a first round pick later and it's all cool beans. At least you'll get a key forward in this years draft

Kreuz has shown more then Watts. Again, Kreuzer's issues have been with his body, Watts has issues with his mentality. If you also go back and look at that draft in retrospect, Kreuzer was the consensus number 1 junior in the country, especially for a team that lacked quality talls. Cotchin had injury issues with his foot when he was drafted and struggled with those issues the first few seasons of his career. If we are going to go back and look at retrospect picks in previous drafts, let's go to the Bryce Gibbs draft. 6 teams overlooked Joel Selwood due to his knee issues as a junior.......

Quote from: Spite on April 08, 2014, 02:00:48 PM
Ps does Buckley have good JS?

I wouldn't say it is great. I would like to see him play, but I think if they play him off half back he is competing for a spot in the side with Docherty. Walker/Simpson/Yarran will all rotate off half back so there is maybe 1 spot left there.

Quote from: NigeyS on April 08, 2014, 02:17:27 PM
We're not thinking we'll get him.

We're telling him that the door is open for him if he wants to walk on in.  ;)

I don't think he wants to go to a team that can't win a final  :P