Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

A lot of the top stat getters in these are major surprises for me...

For example, Jack Viney the highest average uncontested possessions? Good to see!

Hogans' stat continues to amaze. Is he still number one for contested marks in the AFL?

Mailman the 2nd

Hogan is still outright 1st for contested marks in front of Bruce, Fyfe and Hooker.

Tom is 3rd in One-Percenters, 10th in marks, 1st in rebound 50s and just in the top 20 in contested marks. Pretty impressive

Big Mac

Viney's a gun

We need him back real soon

_wato

Can anyone offer some insight into why Lumumba tagged Fyfe on the weekend?

Surely he's too good to be tagging, chuck him on ball and let him run riot Roosy!

Big Mac

Quote from: _wato on May 05, 2015, 08:26:05 PM
Can anyone offer some insight into why Lumumba tagged Fyfe on the weekend?

Surely he's too good to be tagging, chuck him on ball and let him run riot Roosy!

Crossy too slow
Viney injured (probably not tall enough anyway)
Mckenzie - sub for some stupid reason
Vince not a real defensive/tagger type player (also just doesn't have the pace/strength to go with Fyfe)
Lumumba (quick, strong, relatively decent contested game and can compete reasonably well in the air) - Definitely needed him in the backline though, especially after Salem went down. Just couldn't let Fyfe run riot though
Jonesy also appears to be carrying some sort of injury so a run-with role was going to be pretty unlikely

Barra13

Yeah Mckenzie as the sub was a stupid decision. I would have rather him run with Hill all game or something.

Purple 77

I've quite liked Michie's two games this year... I think he is starting to remind us all of what he has to offer. Is is out of contract isn't he?

Big Mac

Jetta still out this week  :-\

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on May 06, 2015, 01:46:30 PM

Damn  :-\ he's surprisingly important for us.

Not quite in the form he was last year though that would have got him an All-Aus nomination had he played every game...

I always get the strangest of looks when I tell people that  :P

Big Mac

Quote from: Purple 77 on May 06, 2015, 03:01:51 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on May 06, 2015, 01:46:30 PM

Damn  :-\ he's surprisingly important for us.

Not quite in the form he was last year though that would have got him an All-Aus nomination had he played every game...

I always get the strangest of looks when I tell people that  :P

Yep he kept a few big names quiet last year - Most people wouldn't have a clue who most team's small defenders are though

powersuperkents

Quote from: Big  Mac on May 03, 2015, 11:11:41 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on May 03, 2015, 10:40:22 PM
When will Gawn come in? I admire Jamar's single handed effort in the ruck this season but surely Gawn has got to come in at some stage as a resting forward. He's the 3rd tallest player in the AFL.

I don't think he needs to come in, but I think he should have the opportunity to develop against at the top level - even though his VFL performances have been substandard. Too much of an asset tbh

Had a shocking game last week but I think he kicked 3 today so improving a bit

The thing that worries me is that he just doesn't impose himself enough on the contest. You are right I think about getting him to develop at AFL level - I think one of the main issues is that playing in the VFL he is just so flowering tall that he really doesn't need to have good body work or be able to postion himself well. He just kind of stands there and outstretches his arms - which obviously won't work at AFL level

I quite liked the two-pronged forward set up with a bunch of smalls around though
He's basically a better version of Robert Warnock hahaha

Yeah, like Warnock, he can't solely rely on his height at AFL level. I think Roos is going to make him work for it because he's the sort of coach who 1) gets the players 'in form'; and then 2) only selects those who are 'in form'. He is good at catching out 'coasters' (unlike Leppa who thinks he is good at it hahaha) 

powersuperkents

Also, what is going on with JKH's confidence in front of goals this season. It seems he never wants to take the shot himself (nothing more irritating than a professional athlete who won't back themselves in), & when he passes it off it just results in a turnover. He's a talented player and I've seen him score plenty of shots with ease. Just doesn't seem to be happening this season and even when he does go for the shot he hesitates (obviously the worst thing you can do if you intend to score).

He's doing quite well as a burst player in the midfield, my only criticisms are that he needs to work on his disposal efficiency and his confidence in front of the goals (he is perfectly capable of scoring so his shot accuracy isn't the issue)

Purple 77

Interesting note PSK, JKH hasn't grabbed my attention this year, but now that you mention it, you are right.

I'm putting it down to being a second year player still finding that fine balance between taking the game on and doing the team thing, especially as the team was accused as selfish from Roos about the freo game.

He hasn't been our best this year, but nor our worst. He's been damaging in patches, just like Kent and Garlett have been, I just assumed it to be how all small forwards play haha.

Big Mac

Not sure if you guys heard but Stretch was the emergency last week

Must be closer to a debut than I thought

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on May 07, 2015, 05:39:15 PM
Not sure if you guys heard but Stretch was the emergency last week

Must be closer to a debut than I thought

Yeah I did notice that... every time I hear something about him, it's always been in a positive light. Like, he is exceeding everyone's expectations. It was also good to read today that his best mate Neal-Bullen had a pretty good first match for the VFL seniors; 21 disposals to go with his 9 tackles! It's great to see so many of our young players tackling!