Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Big Mac

Enthusiasm for round 1 just about dead

Will probably still go to the game because I'm a flower head

Nige

On a somewhat more positive note... H, Frost, Newton and Jeffy look like good recruits (and Hogan if he counts).

Purple 77

Suffice to say, I'm typing with my right hand, after I may have broken my left... probably didn't. Hurts like flower though.

It's only nab, only nab...

But it's not though really. We (the melbourne supporters; the cursed) know what's gonna happen this year. The rest of the AFL will know it after round 1, but we already know that this is gonna be another long year.

The question I ask myself is, how do we climb the ladder? I actually don't know. We have one of the best coaches, and just in general in every off-field department, we are in very, very good hands. I don't think anyone will argue that.

Tonight against half-VFL team, we would have been lost without Lumumba, Frost (despite his inaccuracy), Vandenberg and Garlett.

And these guys haven't played with us before.

Which leads me to think a thought which, when I hear some other angry supporter say it in the moment, I cringe and dismiss them as just that; caught in the moment.

Cut the whole damn list? Obviously not all of them: Jones, Tyson (shower house game), Viney (even worse), Dawes, Salem, Watts, Hogan, Jetta, Dunn,  and McDonald.

But should we get rid of the rest of the 22 that played tonight? That would be:

Jack Grimes
Ben Newton (in neither the cut or keep list)
Mark Jamar
Daniel Cross
Colin Garland
Matt Jones
Rohan Bail
Jimmy Toumpas
Max Gawn
Jordie McKenzie

Grimes would be the unluckiest. But this... I dunno what it is, attitude(?), of losing the unloseable, or just laying down and dying... he has that ingrained in him through 8 years of being in this team. Perhaps the only way to get rid of that attitude, is actually getting rid of them all?

The game tonight, really reminded me of the game against the lions last year, and a few other games (Port, Doggies), where it really seemed we wanted to lose. That, or we simply didn't know how to win. Like, being in a winning position is so foreign, that one tends to go back to familiarity, i.e. looking like shower.

I dunno. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I needed to see improvement in this nab series compared to last year, and all I see is different players doing the same things, engulfed in this losing culture.

Maybe I'm saying all this because the loss is fresh... but I have had these thoughts for about a year now.

Big Mac

I don't know what to say purps - Wish I could get inside Roosy's head

Bill Manspeaker

Melb vs Saints could be interesting this year. there might not be an effective disposal during the whole match

Ziplock

go to the doctor and get your hand xrayed... I didn't last year, and mine hurt  for like 7+ months post injury (to small degrees).

Also, it's been hypothesised multiple times over the past decade that a VFL team could probably take melbourne... now that's kind of been proven :P

Purple 77

Slightly moving on, talking to my fellow Dee-voters (just thought of that then... I should write that down)

Do you guys get just as annoyed as I do at supporters telling other supporters to f*** off because they don't have anything positive to say? Or when they're bemoaning the club? These people who will always "stay positive" and will never have a bad thing to say about the club? Then they have the nerve to tell someone having a well-deserved rant about the club they love and invest in, this little old-cliche "If you can't support them when they're down, you don't deserve to support them when they're up"

It has never happened to me directly, but man, if it did, I'd be the most savage keyboard hero, that would make Demonland proud.

They say that the club doesn't want or need these types of supporters that criticise the club... to which I think, yes they bloody do, they need our money!  :P. But that's beside the point. I think these type of supporters are absolutely passionless. I think, if you don't feel hurt, disappointed and angry when melbourne put in a performance like what they did last night, then do you really have a passion for the club?

Going back to that crappy old cliche I wrote above, maybe it should read "If you don't feel hurt when they're down, then you can't feel total elation when they're up"

And to me, if these people just throw the "I'm staying positive, if you're not then you can go away" in reaction to a pathetic loss, then these people are either mindless, a bogan, passionless or a passive-agressive human-being.

The melbourne footy club doesn't need mindless, bogan, passionless or passive-aggressive supporters... so they don't need YOU!

Sigh. Rant over. I've been developing that opinion for years now  ::)

Big Mac

Some MFC supporters still accept mediocrity

It's just not good enough

AaronKirk

To the Melbourne supporters here what is a pass mark for 2015?

As an observer I would have thought improving on the ladder, winning more games than last year and getting quality game time into your younger players.

Last night was a bad loss but it is only NAB. Cannot take it too seriously as long as their is an improved performance come Round One against Gold Coast.

Purple 77

6 wins I will be disappointed with, but will accept as improvement.

7 wins, I will probably accept, so long as the percentage is about 80+

8 wins than I think 2015 would be a success for us.

My Chumps

Who are the teams you're eyeing off as beatable Purps?

Understand there's also the potential for outsiders (like Essendon last year), but just curious as to who you think is at a similar level.

Purple 77

2 games against the dogs, 2 games against the saints, I think the 2 GWS games are winnable, but they might take a big leap this year so maybe not. I'd see our game against carlton is winnable, and despite recent events, our game against essendon too.

IF melbourne is playing at their best, we would have a chance at beating any of the bottom 12 last year IMO. But that's a big IF.

Big Mac

From our man Barra a couple months ago - would be interested to see if he's changed his opinion

8 wins would be my 'pass mark'

Ziplock

Quote from: Purple 77 on March 21, 2015, 12:20:26 PM
2 games against the dogs, 2 games against the saints, I think the 2 GWS games are winnable, but they might take a big leap this year so maybe not. I'd see our game against carlton is winnable, and despite recent events, our game against essendon too.

IF melbourne is playing at their best, we would have a chance at beating any of the bottom 12 last year IMO. But that's a big IF.

unless gws are crushed by injuries, I'd think we'd have your measure this season 8 times out of 10.