Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

Quote from: MTTY on December 09, 2014, 03:55:27 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on December 09, 2014, 11:56:48 AM
I just typed up like 3 paragraphs but then my page decided to refresh  :'(

Anyway, Brayshaw or Petracca may very well get a game in round one. But they aren't entitled to it just because "Melbourne are shower so any player could get a game there hahaha look at me I'm funny". They have to actually be one of the best 22 players at the club. And at the moment, Newton, Michie and Toumpas are ahead of them.

Exactly ^

If we were playing a game tomorrow, they wouldn't be in the team. Which is my point, they both have things that have to be improved on, through the pre-season, if they are to play in round 1 and push past others. If they are able to do that then by all means they play round 1, if not then they won't.

They are not automatic selections at this point just because their bodies are ready made, they dominated U18s and are two highly touted prospects.

Not bashing Melbourne but they don't need to be best 22 to play. Melbourne are rebuilding. You don't get improvement by playing the same mediocre players just to keep scores respectable. These kids could take a couple of years to technically be in the "best 22 players" but their upside is far greater than most of the team and will only start to really develop once they are playing AFL games as teejay said.

quinny88

But yes I also agree that they aren't just walk up starts because they were high draft picks.
But really, unless they are arrogant flogs that actually think that then they are going to train hard to put their hand up for round one

kilbluff1985

yeah as long as they show Roos they can play 2 way footy most likely will play imo but if he thinks they airnt ready the shouldn't rush them and damage there confidence is as simple as that really i back Roos to make the right choice you even have ANB who was seen as AFL ready

Big Mac

Quote from: quinny88 on December 09, 2014, 06:06:02 PM

Anyway, Brayshaw or Petracca may very well get a game in round one. But they aren't entitled to it just because "Melbourne are shower so any player could get a game there hahaha look at me I'm funny". They have to actually be one of the best 22 players at the club. And at the moment, Newton, Michie and Toumpas are ahead of them.

Exactly ^

If we were playing a game tomorrow, they wouldn't be in the team. Which is my point, they both have things that have to be improved on, through the pre-season, if they are to play in round 1 and push past others. If they are able to do that then by all means they play round 1, if not then they won't.

They are not automatic selections at this point just because their bodies are ready made, they dominated U18s and are two highly touted prospects.

Not bashing Melbourne but they don't need to be best 22 to play. Melbourne are rebuilding. You don't get improvement by playing the same mediocre players just to keep scores respectable. These kids could take a couple of years to technically be in the "best 22 players" but their upside is far greater than most of the team and will only start to really develop once they are playing AFL games as teejay said.

I think I disagree with you here. Players like Michie, Newton and Toumpas, who the younger guys will be competing with for a spot, aren't just the same old mediocre players. They're all very skilled players who either haven't had a chance at AFL level or have struggled with injury. I can definitely see them playing a key role in Melbourne's future and as part of the team that will be handed over to Goodwin. The new draftees aren't going to be treated differently because they somehow have 'more potential'. They are on the same footing as everyone else in the team, and will be treated as such. They're in the AFL now, all their efforts as a junior are forgotten and they are made to work for their chances. Maybe I overrate the VFL but imo it can be crucial in developing key aspects of a player's game (i.e. working defensively, two-way running etc) and in building their confidence.

quinny88

Quote from: Big  Mac on December 09, 2014, 06:31:50 PM
Quote from: quinny88 on December 09, 2014, 06:06:02 PM

Exactly ^

I think I disagree with you here. Players like Michie, Newton and Toumpas, who the younger guys will be competing with for a spot, aren't just the same old mediocre players. They're all very skilled players who either haven't had a chance at AFL level or have struggled with injury. I can definitely see them playing a key role in Melbourne's future and as part of the team that will be handed over to Goodwin. The new draftees aren't going to be treated differently because they somehow have 'more potential'. They are on the same footing as everyone else in the team, and will be treated as such. They're in the AFL now, all their efforts as a junior are forgotten and they are made to work for their chances. Maybe I overrate the VFL but imo it can be crucial in developing key aspects of a player's game (i.e. working defensively, two-way running etc) and in building their confidence.

I agree with you in part but the bottom line is they are still considered the best young guns in the country this year. They are on an even playing field now but they were still drafted at #2 and #3 for a reason and naturally should be expected to be future stars. Not discrediting your other players but there is still a gap in expectation and there is a reason for that.
Take someone like Ollie Wines for example. I'm sure as an 18 year old he wasn't technically in the "best 22" but Port threw him in right from round 1 of his first year and he went from strength to strength.
I can understand taking time with players that don't have AFL ready bodies or key forwards that will get mauled but 2 midfielders that were earmarked as top draft picks for a couple of years and are both good sizes should be in from round 1.
We don't know what goes on behind the scenes and if the coaches see they have too many deficiencies to work on but I dare say they would be eager learners

Noz

Jack Viney, Jimmy Toumpas, Matt Jones, Jack Trengove, Tom Scully, Jay Kennedy-Harris were all high level draft picks taking by Melbourne over previous years that all debuted in round 1.

If you draft a player in the first round and you dont expect him pushing for selection in the 1st game of the season then you have drafted the wrong player.

Purple 77

Just wondering MTTY and Mac, if you read the Demonland training reports on Monday, Wednesday and Friday?

Is interesting reading, they do a good job reporting on what is going on. The overwhelming reports though are is that Toumpas seems to be a man on a mission, and killing every session he does, which to me is possibly the best thing I could hope to hear.

But Toumpas had a good pre-season last year didn't he? Or did he have a niggle at some point? Nonetheless, by all reports he seems to be our best trainer so far.

ossie85

Quote from: Purple 77 on December 10, 2014, 01:50:45 PM
Just wondering MTTY and Mac, if you read the Demonland training reports on Monday, Wednesday and Friday?

Is interesting reading, they do a good job reporting on what is going on. The overwhelming reports though are is that Toumpas seems to be a man on a mission, and killing every session he does, which to me is possibly the best thing I could to hear.

But Toumpas had a good pre-season last year didn't he? Or did he have a niggle at some point? Nonetheless, by all reports he seems to be our best trainer so far.

lol, that was almost a positive comment about Toumpas from you Purp. The amount of hate I hear from you about this player lol

Purple 77

Quote from: ossie85 on December 10, 2014, 01:51:43 PM

Is interesting reading, they do a good job reporting on what is going on. The overwhelming reports though are is that Toumpas seems to be a man on a mission, and killing every session he does, which to me is possibly the best thing I could to hear.

lol, that was almost a positive comment about Toumpas from you Purp. The amount of hate I hear from you about this player lol

:P I think it's my desire for him to prove me wrong and not be another failed high draft pick which is behind my support for him haha

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Purple 77 on December 10, 2014, 01:53:20 PM

:P I think it's my desire for him to prove me wrong and not be another failed high draft pick which is behind my support for him haha

I like to think of it as another fail from the development team... Having all these failing high draft picks can't be coincidental....Clearly your old development team was useless.

Purple 77

Quote from: Pkbaldy on December 10, 2014, 02:29:16 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on December 10, 2014, 01:53:20 PM

I like to think of it as another fail from the development team... Having all these failing high draft picks can't be coincidental....Clearly your old development team was useless.

Well, he isn't a fail, not yet anyway.

But yes, the development team is to blame, but thankfully they are all well and truly gone now.

MTTY

Is interesting reading, they do a good job reporting on what is going on. The overwhelming reports though are is that Toumpas seems to be a man on a mission, and killing every session he does, which to me is possibly the best thing I could hope to hear.

Yeah I read all of the training reports on Demonland, Purple. Definitely agree re Toumpas. I think last pre-season he started well, but may have picked up a few niggles?? Either way he's in much better shape this pre-season.

Big Mac

Quote from: MTTY on December 10, 2014, 05:26:33 PM

Yeah I read all of the training reports on Demonland, Purple. Definitely agree re Toumpas. I think last pre-season he started well, but may have picked up a few niggles?? Either way he's in much better shape this pre-season.

Yeh I read them as well. I also read the Facebook one sometimes although the guy who writes them can be a bit odd :P I remember reading that Toumpas had an interrupted preseason but can't remember why.

Lumumba also seems to be training really well. Giving a lot of advice to the younger guys and really stepping up as a leader.

Big Mac

Purple 77

Photo taken personally Mac?