Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Manspeaker

QuoteMelbourne has formulated an ambitious plan to regenerate its struggling list that could involve trading out some of the team's biggest names.

Following this week's revelation that the Demons have applied for a priority pick, it's believed Melbourne aims to have five picks inside the top 20 of this year's national draft.

Assuming the Dees finish 17th, Melbourne is banking on picking up selection no.3 for defender-cum-forward James Frawley.

It's been suggested to Sports Today that other names on the table include Jack Watts, Jimmy Toumpas, current co-captain Jack Grimes and former co-captain Jack Trengove.

The club is also believed to be keen to pick-up as many as five mature-aged recruits.

kilbluff1985

very interesting to see how this develops

Big Mac

Sounds pretty unsubstantiated to me. I think we'll have as many as 13 names to replace at the end of the year (if we were to remove every player that is not AFL standard), so it's obvious that we will be looking to maximize the amount of players we can get. However, the potential that guys like Trengove and Toumpas possess just isn't worth the draft pick we would likely get in return. Trengove has also been injured the whole year so I think the club would be backing him in. Toumpas has also stated that he has declined any notion of being traded and wants to be a part of the revival. Roos claims Watts has been playing his role all year, and I can't see us getting rid of pretty much our only player with elite disposal. Grimes is our captain.

Purple 77

Interesting quote nonetheless, even if I think it won't happen.

Capper

Didnt they try the mature aged players the other year? Rodan?

Ricochet

Vince had been a successful mature age get. Rodan was a bit of a fail tho lol.

Big Mac

Going in very tall this week

Big Mac

Talk of an ACL for Gawn. Please no.

Purple 77

Nige

That's terrible news for the big guy if true, he looked good this season.

GoLions

Big Mac

Looks like a meniscus tear is 6-8 weeks from some quick googling. That's a relief - although still saddening after seeing how excited he was to come back earlier than the other boys and finally get a full preseason in.

Ziplock

Quote from: Big  Mac on August 31, 2014, 03:47:59 PM
Looks like a meniscus tear is 6-8 weeks from some quick googling. That's a relief - although still saddening after seeing how excited he was to come back earlier than the other boys and finally get a full preseason in.

it's supposed to be, but it can flower you up longer than that.

Purple 77

Think he'd be disappointed he got injured, but he would be celebrating all the same  :D

Big Mac