Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Purple 77

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 17, 2014, 05:28:42 PM
I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing now, but I'm actually not surprised this has happened.

There is actually a lot of merit to what Paul Roos said about "a team waiting to be beaten." Crazy as it sounds, but I actually think this team fears improvement/winning.

There has been 5-6 matches of when we have been in front in the last quarter and lost.

Will be interesting to see the fallout of this match. Especially what Bernie Vince has to say, seeing as he said "there is no chance the Giants will win their third consecutive match against the Demons this round."

I actually felt a sense of "enough is enough" from the crowd watching it on tv, they were booing every skill error, and giving both Frawley and Dawes bronx cheers.

I am still under a temporary loss of passion after that brisbane game, otherwise I'd be devastated right now.

Big Mac

Purple 77

WCarey18

A question for everyone:

Which was a worse performance?

Geelong v Melbourne, Kardinia Park, 2011 where Melbourne lost by 186 points.

Melbourne v GWS, MCG, 2014 where Melbourne lost by 64 points.

I'm going to go on record and say the latter. Therefore, where does this leave Melbourne?

There is statistics to show that they have improved since last season, but after the weekend's performance, have Melbourne really improved?

I think if Melbourne want to go any further from here, the need to do five things:

1. Cull any and all on the list that is a "passenger". Melbourne can't afford it any longer, and I'm sure there is a lot of dead weight on the list. Start with Sam Blease.
2. Get rid of James Frawley. Take the cash and hope that the AFL give them a 1st round compo pick.
3. Take a leap from Richmond's drafting strategy - look at how successful Anthony Miles has become. There are plenty of players out there waiting for another chance ie. Sam Iles, Steve Clifton and even Dan Connors. Better rookie picks than Max King, James Harmes, Mitch Clisby and Nathan Stark.
4. Use the Frawley money and draft picks to raid Sydney's list. Take Malceski and some of Tim Membrey, Sam Reid, Dean Towers, Harry Cunningham, Tom Mitchell and those players that are finding it difficult to fit on their list. Sydney will undoubted have to get rid of some players to relieve their salary cap worries, Melbourne would be best to pounce.
5. If Sydney does not budge, look at value in other lists. Liam Anthony from North perhaps? Doubt North would take more than third round pick for him now, but he still has plenty of talent.

Out: Dead weight and James Frawley
In: Sam Iles, Steve Clifton, Dan Connors, Nick Malceski, Sam Reid, Tom Mitchell, Liam Anthony

Doesn't begin to look so bad now, and perhaps Melbourne can finally look like a competitive AFL side.

Thoughts?

kilbluff1985

sounds good besides Dan Conners

WCarey18

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 18, 2014, 05:02:38 PM

Has kicked 35 goals from 11 games, and believe it or not is leading the VFL Goalkicking tally.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-118-0-294689-0&a=STATS

kilbluff1985

Quote from: WCarey18 on August 18, 2014, 05:10:27 PM

Has kicked 35 goals from 11 games, and believe it or not is leading the VFL Goalkicking tally.

it's about his off field issues not on the field

Purple 77

I do agree this rates with 186.

I'm sure all melbourne supporters have heard it all, what should happen etc. I'm also sure we're sick of talking about it, so will leave that to the AFL supporters.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: WCarey18 on August 18, 2014, 04:55:38 PM
I think if Melbourne want to go any further from here, the need to do five things:

1. Cull any and all on the list that is a "passenger". Melbourne can't afford it any longer, and I'm sure there is a lot of dead weight on the list. Start with Sam Blease.
2. Get rid of James Frawley. Take the cash and hope that the AFL give them a 1st round compo pick.
3. Take a leap from Richmond's drafting strategy - look at how successful Anthony Miles has become. There are plenty of players out there waiting for another chance ie. Sam Iles, Steve Clifton and even Dan Connors. Better rookie picks than Max King, James Harmes, Mitch Clisby and Nathan Stark.
4. Use the Frawley money and draft picks to raid Sydney's list. Take Malceski and some of Tim Membrey, Sam Reid, Dean Towers, Harry Cunningham, Tom Mitchell and those players that are finding it difficult to fit on their list. Sydney will undoubted have to get rid of some players to relieve their salary cap worries, Melbourne would be best to pounce.
5. If Sydney does not budge, look at value in other lists. Liam Anthony from North perhaps? Doubt North would take more than third round pick for him now, but he still has plenty of talent.

Out: Dead weight and James Frawley
In: Sam Iles, Steve Clifton, Dan Connors, Nick Malceski, Sam Reid, Tom Mitchell, Liam Anthony

Doesn't begin to look so bad now, and perhaps Melbourne can finally look like a competitive AFL side.

Thoughts?

Couple of points, Roos will no doubt already have decided most of the guys he's getting rid of. Frawley looks pretty much a given to go.

For every Miles out there there's another 10 guys who won't provide anything new to the club. A lot of the guys you mentioned were complete passengers at their old clubs.

As for the Swans you mentioned, all will have to be traded for except Malceski, and all except Towers and Membrey are already signed past 2014

The problems are obviously internal. No professional recruiting team is bad enough to draft less than 5 good future players over 5 odd years of drafts. It has to be the environment which they come to.

Nige

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 18, 2014, 05:30:19 PM
Quote from: WCarey18 on August 18, 2014, 05:10:27 PM

it's about his off field issues not on the field
Been playing really well for Port Melbourne and most of his issues are behind him.

Big Mac

Just thought i'd mention a couple points.

1. We can't actually afford the full salary cap. So Frawley can leave but we might not be able to fill the cap space left behind.
2. No one wants to come to the club. We just got belted by GWS on our home turf in the worst match i've ever attended.

Purple 77

Always encouraging to see that, being regarded as a young team supposed to be on the improve, that we only have one player in this list:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaking-news/dyson-heppell-leads-45man-2014-afl-players-association-22under22-squad/story-fnect155-1227029904964

Ricochet

I guess looking at the list its kind of the reason why. Like there are only 3 guys that are 22 (Michie, McDonald and Evans) and 1 that is 21 (Tyson). They would have to be quite extraordinary at 19/20 to be on that list. If they did this again in another year or so you could very well see guys like Toumpas, Viney, Kent, etc