Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomK

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-09/toumpas-struck-down

MELBOURNE youngster Jimmy Toumpas has been diagnosed with acute appendicitis and will miss the next four to six weeks.

Purple 77

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-07-09/toumpas-evans-out-for-four-to-six-weeks

Meh.

Shame Toumpas misses out on VFL experience, but he wasn't even making the most of that IMO. Just going through the motions...

Do you think he will be a long-term demon dees' trust? Starting to have doubts, because he just has no confidence atm and it could lead him to go back home to SA where he would supposedly be more comfortable.

I don't want him to go on principle more than anything, coz I don't want another high draft pick exiting the club, and I reckon it would be another Jared Polec situation where we would sell him cheap, only for him to go and flourish elsewhere.

Despite my criticisms, I haven't given up on him yet. He is only young, and has comparable early career stats to Jobe Watson and even GAJ if you use the AFL footywire website. It's just the fact that he can even let himself be down on confidence annoys me; signs of a weak character. Would never happen to Viney.

Purple 77

Ah, beat me to it TomK :P

MTTY

I'd like the changes to be:

IN: Tapscott, Jetta and JKH

Out: Salem, Terlich and Gawn

- Roos tends to give new players a couple of games as sub, before starting them. I expect Barry to start, but probably be red-vested if his performance his sub par.

- Jetta back from suspension and is simply a better player than Terlich, who plays the same position.

- Too tall up front I think, I reckon JKH will be a straight swap for Gawn, with Pedersen to help out in the ruck. Either that or Frawley plays forward and Terlich stays (keeping JKH out) or Georgiou comes in instead of JKH.

- Salem needs VFL games. Less intense stuff to rest up a little.

- I reckon Jetta and Tapscott are certainties to play, with Tapscott getting the sub vest.

Nige

I reckon Toumpas will go home to tbag's delight.

kilbluff1985

Port will take pity on Melbourne and trade Wines for Toumpas

Big Mac

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on July 09, 2014, 07:45:36 PM
Port will take pity on Melbourne and trade Wines for Toumpas

Although Wines looks a much better pick in hindsight, I can see why we drafted Toumpas. A lot of our players have very poor skills and it really hurts when rebounding off half back. We desperately need players who can consistently hit targets, and Toumpas was supposed to be able to fill that role eventually. However, as much as I hope he can make it, he hasn't shown that he has the work ethic required for afl.

Purple 77

Couldn't help but giggle at a demonland post.

He suggested Toumpas didn't have appendicitis, rather appendagast  ;D ;D ;D

Again, haven't given up on him, but thought that was rather clever and hilarious  :P

*For those who don't know, Barry Prendergast was our old recruiting manager who recruited a lot of high draft picks now not playing on an AFL list*

Barra13

I think Jetta and JKH need to come back. Even for a trial I'd like to see both of them roving around the forward line to pick up the scraps.

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on July 12, 2014, 04:37:06 PM
Left at 3 qtr time  :P We really need this split round

I didn't see the first half. But looking at Demonland they are calling for a priority pick, Schwab, Craig Cameron and Prendergast to be sued, trade Watts for 50 cents, delist all demons on the 2011 list (aside from Jones), among-st just the usual verbal attacks.

Surely it either must have been THAT bad, or I am embarrassed to be associated by these people that make such ridiculous calls. If we win next week, they are the sort of people that would be saying the EXACT opposite. So quickly that we forget the massive improvement this year, I'm disappointed of course, but 2 consecutive bad games doesn't mean we haven't made that improvement. Lets keep this in perspective, you stupid Demonland posters.

Big Mac

Yeh they get pretty crazy over there at this time of year.

The AFL allows itself to be influenced by club lobbying so there is no chance of a priority pick for us, but I can see why those on Demonland demand one every year. Surely no one will ever be deserving of one again? At least not after the precedent currently being set.

About the game - It was a very, very bad first half. Geelong were going half pace and still destroying us. Hurried kicks out of defense and when they actually landed in a Melbourne player's arms, no one was leading up forward. They did pick up a bit in the second half but it still wasn't good footy. During the 2nd quarter Frawley was soundly out bodied by Hawkins twice in a row and I saw him just shrug his shoulders at another Melbourne player. Pretty much summed up the game, we just weren't good enough to compete with them.

I understand the hate for Watts given he was a no.1 pick but people need to understand that he is not a contested ball winning player. His uncontested game is why people rate him and Melbourne just doesn't get enough of the ball for him to use his skills on a consistent basis.

Ziplock

Quote from: Big  Mac on July 12, 2014, 06:05:26 PM
Yeh they get pretty crazy over there at this time of year.

The AFL allows itself to be influenced by club lobbying so there is no chance of a priority pick for us, but I can see why those on Demonland demand one every year. Surely no one will ever be deserving of one again? At least not after the precedent currently being set.

About the game - It was a very, very bad first half. Geelong were going half pace and still destroying us. Hurried kicks out of defense and when they actually landed in a Melbourne player's arms, no one was leading up forward. They did pick up a bit in the second half but it still wasn't good footy. During the 2nd quarter Frawley was soundly out bodied by Hawkins twice in a row and I saw him just shrug his shoulders at another Melbourne player. Pretty much summed up the game, we just weren't good enough to compete with them.

I understand the hate for Watts given he was a no.1 pick but people need to understand that he is not a contested ball winning player. His uncontested game is why people rate him and Melbourne just doesn't get enough of the ball for him to use his skills on a consistent basis.

Melbourne deserved a priority pick last year- since they didn't get it, they probably won't get one this year.

Vinny

I have always had faith in Watts, will be a quality player! 8)

Big Mac

Surely Gawn deserves a recall after his performance?

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on July 15, 2014, 08:31:56 PM
Surely Gawn deserves a recall after his performance?

Read the VFL reviews... they weren't overly impressed it seems. Seems like most of the hit outs were ineffective and easily won because the opposing ruckman were short.

My favourite review was Blease, seeing 25+ disposals, 2 goals and 6 tackles! I think that ticks every box to play seniors, so lets get him in!

Reckon the changes should be:

IN: Blease, JKH
OUT: Terlich, Bail

Starting to think Bail isn't as good as what I was led to believe earlier in the year, but he definitely has improved.

VFL Player Review Round 14