Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

What do you want the changes to read next week BM and MTTY?

I would like to see:

In: McKenzie, McDonald (if fit), JKH

out: nicholson, gawn (although thought he was OK), terlich

JKH is a better fit as a pressure forward than Terlich.

MTTY

I'd like to see (but doubt there'll be this many, as Roos is known for limiting his changes):

In: McKenzie, JKH, Georgiou, McDonald

Out: Terlich (inj), Garland (rest), Gawn (omitted), Nicholson (omitted)

Start Salem as the sub, and play Barry.

Big Mac

Was just about to post Salem out and Tappy in as well, he definitely needs a rest and to find some confidence and Tappy seems to have been a standout today - I think 4 changes isn't out of question especially considering the changes should actually be bettering the team, rather than just 'rearranging the deck chairs'

Purple 77

IN: Tom McDonald, Jordie McKenzie

OUT: Neville Jetta (Suspension), Daniel Nicholson (Omitted)

EMERGENCIES
26 Daniel Nicholson
35 Luke Tapscott
41 Alex Georgiou

:-\

Can't argue the ins and outs, I just don't think there was enough of them. I know Roos likes to make the least amount of changes possible, but I sorta though Tapscott and JKH really earned a call up, just from hearing comments about them in the VFL. Bail and Garland seem to need a rest as well IMO, and I would have thought Georgiou and Tapscott could have come in for them. Could even say JKH could have come in for either Salem or Kent whom have struggled in the past two weeks since their outstanding Essendon game.

I'm all for team stability, but I thought more changes were warranted through hard work in the VFL and slumped form in the AFL.

Big Mac

I've been reading a bit on Demonland today and the majority view seems to be that Frawley will leave. Some even suggesting that Roos already knows this and that is why Frawley has been playing forward this year (To fast forward Mcdonald's development) - although i'm pretty sure Roos just picks the best team possible. Obviously we all would like him to stay, but I don't think his departure would be as big of an issue as it once would have been. And with the compensation pick and our own pick, we would probably be able to pick up the two best midfielders in the draft.

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on July 04, 2014, 05:23:22 PM
I've been reading a bit on Demonland today and the majority view seems to be that Frawley will leave. Some even suggesting that Roos already knows this and that is why Frawley has been playing forward this year (To fast forward Mcdonald's development) - although i'm pretty sure Roos just picks the best team possible. Obviously we all would like him to stay, but I don't think his departure would be as big of an issue as it once would have been. And with the compensation pick and our own pick, we would probably be able to pick up the two best midfielders in the draft.

Yeah I saw that too ( by the quite vicious posters ) on Demonland.

I think of what a herald sun writer said;

"Not often do you trade in an 8 year old commodore for a brand new ferrari."

I do think that as each week passes, our reliance on Frawley decreases. However, I really want him to stay. Big and able key position players don't grow on trees, and at his best, he is an All-Australian defender and a quite capable 2nd or 3rd forward.

In the event Frawley does leave, I would put money on melbourne trading one of the picks away. Maybe in a Dom Tyson deal with GWS for O'Rourke or Shiel.

Hell, maybe even both for Dangerman?

JBs-Hawks

If you had two top 10 picks would you grab two mids or one mid and one key defender?

Purple 77

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on July 04, 2014, 06:27:49 PM
If you had two top 10 picks would you grab two mids or one mid and one key defender?

2 mids IMO. I rate our defense, even without Frawley.

In the ideal world, the clubs that finish below us will take KPPs, and we will get the two best mids  8)

MTTY

Obviously I want Frawley to stay, but in the case he were to leave it would not be the end of the world. Most likely, as has been stated, we gain an extra top 5 or 10 pick. Our defence would continue to be fine, without Frawley, however I think our forward line would take a hit.

Although we have Hogan, Frawley adds structure to our forward line, in that he provides a speedy leading marking forward. I feel if he goes, then we have to trade for a similar player for that role.

On the side of draft picks, i'd be inclined to draft Petracca and Brayshaw if they are both still there at our picks.

Ringo

Think you should be safe with one of those MTTY.  Who knows who GWS will draft though, but Brisbane and Saints will be more than likely drafting a KPP Forward, (Will tear up my membership if we do not pick either McCartin, Wright, Durdin or Goddard with our first pick)

Purple 77

What are we thinking the changes should be for the Geelong match Dees' trust?

Would like this to happen:

IN: JKH, Blease, Tapscott

OUT: Gawn, Terlich, Barry

SUB: Salem

I really think Barry is just not ready. I wouldn't be opposed to have him starting though and give him a proper go to do the job he has been performing well in (tagging). He could tag someone like Christensen maybe?

Gawn was very disappointing, highlighted by a 1v1 and his inability to mark the ball in Q1 against (I forget the docker players' name) his opponent who was 23 cm shorter than him. He was standing behind him and was even in a good position to mark...

I'm pretty much over Terlich. He is a slightly better Nicholson, but the guy has horrible decision making, and if it isn't that, then he has atrocious skill levels. Has often been guilty of not following the way we want to play with attempts at kicking the ball in the centre, only to turn it over with his poor skill by foot.

Still think Salem is an excellent sub. Each game he has been the sub, he has really delivered. Whereas he has struggled to play well for a full game barring his port adelaide match. I'm a big fan of this gem.

And MTTY, I should be ashamed. After acknowledging that I was wrong about Kent, I started to doubt his ability again after two poor performances in a row, but he really was good for the whole match against freo, even stuff like following up the ball and applying pressure, which is the stuff that really impressed me, more-so than his running goal.

He has a place in the Dees future  8)

kilbluff1985

in the 'in the mix' article this week they said Blease's disposal was bad so i doubt Roos will want him in

Big Mac

I definitely think Salem needs to be either dropped for a few weeks or at least be made the sub. Needs to get a bit of confidence back as well as consistency in his game.
On JKH, that's a few games in a row now where he has played well so I think he should make the side this week too. He had the 3rd most tackles this week as well which was good.
I would like to see Blease in the side as I think he could have a much better impact than Terlich, but I don't think he will make the side until Roos is completely happy with him. I guess he is trying to teach him that he has to work hard to get a spot in the senior team.
Riley played well, but I would like to see a few more good games from him before he gets a spot in the senior team. His urgency around the contest seems to be really good at VFL level (shown by his tackle numbers) but he needs to prove that he is actually able to bring that to AFL level.

IN: Jetta, JKH, Tapscott
OUT: Terlich, Barry, Gawn (Still keeping Salem in the side as we know Roos doesn't like to make a lot of changes, although I think Riley would be the one to come in for him if anyone)

As a side note: What the hell is going on with Michie? He didn't even attempt a tackle on the weekend

Vinny

Please bring Georgiou in!

Purple 77

Completely forgot about Jetta! Of course he will come in.

And yeah, Michie has been disappointing this year, after his freo-departure hype.