MTTY

So

Nicholson, Gawn, Terlich and Barry in

Means a couple of things:

- Frawley to play back
- Gawn to play Full forward with stints in the ruck
- Nicholson the likely sub
- Barry to tag
- Grimes to play midfield (and probably tag)
- Terlich to slot into the back 6.

Purple 77

Am hoping Nicholson will tag instead of Grimes  :-\

Very surprised to see Georgiou not brought in for TMac

So in that case, yeah I do agree with you about Gawn/Frawley MTTY. Will be interesting to see how those two play in those positions.

Purple 77

Barry the sub  ???

But... he is a tagger... has actually never made an offensive impact in VFL? Or at least recently?

MTTY

Quote from: Purple 77 on June 29, 2014, 12:17:15 PM
Barry the sub  ???

But... he is a tagger... has actually never made an offensive impact in VFL? Or at least recently?

He'll probably come on and play a role on the wing late. His ball use will be a good asset in the dying stages. Still an unusual choice.

Nige

Chris Dawes, the guy is so important when he's up and about.

Purple 77

More skill errors than Auskickers. What a shameful display.

I don't feel as hurt as I do disgusted with the demons today.

kilbluff1985

does the Terlich injury open up a door for Clisby ?

MTTY

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on June 29, 2014, 04:13:58 PM

I think Clisby's only just coming back from an injury, so he'll be at least a few weeks away. I'd expect a half forward will come in as sub and Barry will start. Terlich was playing as a defensive half forward today, which is the role Barry (or Strauss, could come in) will play.

Big Mac

Couldn't watch the game but I just got back and read the afl article and watched Roo's presser. I really hate this 'we started poorly' crap. Happens all too often and I remember reading it after almost every match last year. A few questions though.
I get that the umpiring was bad but was it at least consistent?
Who tagged Libba?
How did Barry look?
Will Gawn get a game next week?

Thanks guys - Looks like we have an ugly three rounds coming up as well  :-\

MTTY

Quote from: Big  Mac on June 29, 2014, 06:23:56 PM
Couldn't watch the game but I just got back and read the afl article and watched Roo's presser. I really hate this 'we started poorly' crap. Happens all too often and I remember reading it after almost every match last year. A few questions though.
I get that the umpiring was bad but was it at least consistent?
Who tagged Libba?
How did Barry look?
Will Gawn get a game next week?

Thanks guys - Looks like we have an ugly three rounds coming up as well  :-\

Only saw the last quarter, so can only comment on a few of your points.

I'm pretty sure Viney started tagging Libba, but it seemed like the tagged was loosened in the last quarter or so. Possibly also Viney getting tired, which turned it into more of a head to head.

I liked Barry's game. Started slowly, by roaming around (particularly around the 50m arc). He started to get involved in the game, by playing around and in the packs, when we pushed forward. May not have had many disposals, but was excellent in his pressure acts and willingness to compete. Should play next week.

If McDonald plays next week then no, Gawn won't play. I believe he was simply in the team due to Frawley playing back, thus Gawn was our best second/third forward option. It simply came down to Roos preferring Frawley in defence and Gawn up front, as opposed to Georgiou down back and Frawley up front. Could also still be out next week, if Roos changes this preference.

Purple 77

Thought Gawn actually played alright.

Dawes... needs to start marking them.

Nathan Jones started slowly but got better as the game wore on.

Viney did a great job tagging libba. He did it all game.

Umpires have been worse.

Melbourne gifted more presents than santa. So many stupid skill errors that I don't see in other teams, at least not as frequent.

Thought Jack Grimes was actually our best. Him or Howe.

Nev Jetta and Pedersen continued their solid form. Great years.

I'm not over-exaggerating when I say this, but I think if melbourne didn't waste their opportunities and gift goals to the dogs, we would have won by 6 goals.

Still, the doggies clearly deserved to win.

MTTY

Quote from: MTTY on June 29, 2014, 04:16:52 PM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on June 29, 2014, 04:13:58 PM

I think Clisby's only just coming back from an injury, so he'll be at least a few weeks away. I'd expect a half forward will come in as sub and Barry will start. Terlich was playing as a defensive half forward today, which is the role Barry (or Strauss, could come in) will play.

Clisby actually played in the VFL this week and was good. I still reckon he's a few weeks away, but you never know.

Purple 77

Would love to have a look at the Roos-version of Clisby. I would prefer him over Nicholson, maybe Terlich.

JKH 31 disposals and Tappy 30 in that 80 point loss, senior considerations? Tappy has put in a few good weeks in now numbers wise, JKH is a needed livewire IMO.

I also wouldn't mind Salem being our super sub for the rest of the year. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but he seems to have made an impact each time he has been a sub, but seems to struggle in a full game (his port adelaide performance aside).

Big Mac

Interesting thoughts. I think our contested game really covers up our poor disposal but sometimes it does show through. What I would do to have someone of Mcveigh's ilk running around off half-back  ::) Will be interested to see what Barry can do in a full game, he is a bit of an unknown quantity. Also wondering if Viney will be used more as a tagger now or if his success was more due to Libba's inexperience with being tagged.

MTTY

Quote from: Big  Mac on June 29, 2014, 09:08:16 PM
Interesting thoughts. I think our contested game really covers up our poor disposal but sometimes it does show through. What I would do to have someone of Mcveigh's ilk running around off half-back  ::) Will be interested to see what Barry can do in a full game, he is a bit of an unknown quantity. Also wondering if Viney will be used more as a tagger now or if his success was more due to Libba's inexperience with being tagged.

I reckon it's a bit of both. Libba has struggled with the tag, in the limited games he's actually been tagged. While Viney's hard-nosed and contested approach opens up a very different way of tagging someone. I reckon McKenzie will be back to tagging next week though.