Main Menu

Melbourne Discussion

Started by Purple 77, April 06, 2014, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

And it would be a crime not to acknowledge the 4-quarter stunning on-field leadership by the ultimate professional in Daniel Cross.

Vinny

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!

Master Q

Watched the game with a couple Demon friends today. Fair to say they went wild.

Barra13

I thought it was gone at half time 30 something points down. But I must say it was a good effort to come back from there. They really attacked hard in the last quarter.

Big Mac

No Cross, no Mckenzie, Dom Barry named in the squad after doing some run-with roles in the VFL. Could be a chance to debut this week and take Libba? Personally I don't think he should as part of being a tagger is making your direct opponent accountable for you, which clearly didn't happen when he had only 8 disposals on the weekend. Do we just run without a tagger this week though?

Ziplock

Quote from: Big  Mac on June 26, 2014, 08:53:06 PM
No Cross, no Mckenzie, Dom Barry named in the squad after doing some run-with roles in the VFL. Could be a chance to debut this week and take Libba? Personally I don't think he should as part of being a tagger is making your direct opponent accountable for you, which clearly didn't happen when he had only 8 disposals on the weekend. Do we just run without a tagger this week though?

Think of the point of tagging as making your opponent go comparatively worse than you :P

For instance, if you normally average 15 disposals a game, and your opponent normally averages 30, and you collect 8 disposals while tagging him while he only gets 10, then you've done your job :P

Big Mac

Although by him tagging in the midfield, he is taking himself out of the game and taking the spot of someone who could actually damage the opposition.

Ziplock

Quote from: Big  Mac on June 26, 2014, 09:40:13 PM
Although by him tagging in the midfield, he is taking himself out of the game and taking the spot of someone who could actually damage the opposition.

you still have to look at it as a differential

does barry's decreased output and decreased output of his opponent compensate for the higher output another player would have and the influence they'd have on their opponent?

Purple 77

I really think Barry hasn't earned a senior debut. Before he was used as a tagger, he never got more than 15 disposals in a match, and now that he is tagging, gets less than that. I don't rate him.

I was very surprised Michie or Blease wasn't named. I would have thought Michie would have been the right fit to replace Cross, and maybe Blease could do some damage off half back like he has reportedly been doing at Casey.

Will also be disappointed if BOTH Terlich and Nicholson are named. They both play half back and both make bad decisions with the ball. Hell, I'd even name Toumpas ahead of them.

MTTY

Quote from: Purple 77 on June 27, 2014, 09:21:42 AM
I really think Barry hasn't earned a senior debut. Before he was used as a tagger, he never got more than 15 disposals in a match, and now that he is tagging, gets less than that. I don't rate him.

I was very surprised Michie or Blease wasn't named. I would have thought Michie would have been the right fit to replace Cross, and maybe Blease could do some damage off half back like he has reportedly been doing at Casey.

Will also be disappointed if BOTH Terlich and Nicholson are named. They both play half back and both make bad decisions with the ball. Hell, I'd even name Toumpas ahead of them.

The thing is Blease and Michie have not impressed with their defensive game at Casey. This is key to breaking into a Roos team (which sometimes and be bordering on too defensive). Barry on the other hand does play a two way game, be that the amount of ball he gets limits his attacking abilities. This attacking side of the game, is what had Jordie missing out on games, but the thing is unlike Jordie, Barry has a good skill set and uses the ball a lot better. This allows Barry to have lesser disposal counts and still impact the game more (in an attacking sense) than Cross and McKenzie.

Would be very surprised if Barry tags Libba, as he doesn't have the body yet. Would be more likely that he'll go to Macrae or will be an emergency given that Griffen is out now. I expect Vince to be playing a negating role this week on Libba (or even Grimes- which would open up a spot for Terlich in the back line).

Who knows, maybe Barry comes in as the sub, avoids tagging, and Roos just wants to reward him for his two way play and role playing at Casey.

I reckon it'll be Terlich and Barry in, for the two forced changes. Vince and Grimes will both tag Libba at some point, with Grimes going to Dahl at stages. Barry to tag Macrae for the game.

Purple 77

Yeah fair calls, good points.

I reckon Blease was one consistent half away from playing this week... had 22 disposals in first half, then 7 in the next.

Still, will give Barry a chance. Was rated a second round draft pick I think when he came to the club.

Big Mac

Yeh good points mtty.
On Blease though, the review says that he started to take the ball sideways and backwards. But isn't maintaining possession a good thing if no one is presenting ahead?

MTTY

Quote from: Big  Mac on June 27, 2014, 04:25:35 PM
Yeh good points mtty.
On Blease though, the review says that he started to take the ball sideways and backwards. But isn't maintaining possession a good thing if no one is presenting ahead?

Definitely is, as that's what we've been doing at AFL level. Particularly early.

Big Mac

Quote from: MTTY on June 27, 2014, 05:50:10 PM
Yeh good points mtty.

Definitely is, as that's what we've been doing at AFL level. Particularly early.

And yet they talk about it as if it's a negative thing for Blease?

MTTY

Quote from: Big  Mac on June 27, 2014, 05:55:19 PM
Quote from: MTTY on June 27, 2014, 05:50:10 PM
Yeh good points mtty.

And yet they talk about it as if it's a negative thing for Blease?

Yep, really don't get that. Also i've heard rumours about the VFL coach being completely against the player playing Roos' possession brand of football.