Main Menu

Going Back To Old Ways

Started by Master Q, January 21, 2014, 04:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Q

So VS has brought back their classic Dream Team game, a game very different to AFL Fantasy.

It's been a while since we've had these amount of trades, and some of us have already gotten used to AFL Fantasy's pricing system (rookies etc).

We now have to think about the past and how we used to play the game, which a few coaches might find difficult.

So what are some things we have to start thinking about again while putting our teams together and trading during the season?

I will get the ball rolling with: Rucks need to be SET and FORGET like they used to be a few years ago. We no longer have the trades to take risks on guys coming back from injuries or have a chance to play more footy now that they're at a new club.

nrich102

Adamant

Quote from: Master Q on January 21, 2014, 04:22:54 PM
I will get the ball rolling with: Rucks need to be SET and FORGET like they used to be a few years ago. We no longer have the trades to take risks on guys coming back from injuries or have a chance to play more footy now that they're at a new club.

Kinda agree, but imo there is no such thing as a set and forget ruck combo. Besides Cox, which other ruckman has maintained a keeper-worthy average year after year?

Quote from: nrich102 on January 21, 2014, 04:26:45 PM
No more mid priced players!

I think if they are a proven performer/coming back from injury then it's fine, but definitely no excess speculative/breakout contenders with limited trades.

Ricochet

30 trades is still quite a few. I'll still be taking risks with guys like Sandi.

GM

The ruck set and forget is questionable now.
Saving $170K for 10 to 15 more pts ave per round to spend on your
midfield is my train of thought.

Ricochet

Especially with value picks like Hmac and Sandi. Also now with Bellchambers out for 3 months, it could be a good idea to start Ryder and then upgrade him after the byes to the best premo

Toga

I'm in two minds re: the under priced blokes at the moment!

One the one hand I'm thinking I don't want to take risks on guys like Sandi, Knights, Sylvia, Tyson, even blokes like Brandon Ellis as they won't be among the highest averaging players so I'll have to be using a trade to upgrade them at some point, which kind of seems like a waste to me when you could do the same with rookie, the only difference being they will earn more $$.

On the other hand though, if these guys can maintain high enough averages to put you ahead of the pack early on, it might allow you to start a few extra premiums before lockout, and make for good stepping stones to true premiums...

My mind is yet to be made!

T Dog

I will go back to looking at Med price rucks I think. Happy to forgo 20-30 pts to ensure rest of the side  is set as best as it can be.

Though I did enjoy a couple of  seasons back when I had Maric and Cox...

Ringo

Seen my team Tdog - Have McEvoy and Sandilands

stew42

My rule: DON'T PICK INJURY-PRONE MID-PRICERS.

That doesn't mean don't pick mid-pricers. I'm going for the breakout candidates (Tyson, Watts, Hunter) If any of them get injured, I'm flowered haha

Toga

Yeah agreed stew, this is why I'm not really considering guys like Sandi, Higgins, H-Mac and co.

That being said I have Chris Knights in my team atm :P ::)

T Dog

Quote from: Ringo on January 22, 2014, 04:57:17 PM
Seen my team Tdog - Have McEvoy and Sandilands

Hampson and Sandilands for me still Ringo.. :o

Ringo

For those that may not have played SC who have had 30 trades for the last couple of years it is not as easy as it sounds.

In the first year it was introduced because of injuries I ran out of trades in Round 16.  Last year I was determined to save trades for finals but used my last trade in the prelim  final so had none for GF.

Just saying that you need to make sure that you trade well with the 30 limit and not trade for the sake of trading which you would have been used to with 2 trades per week.

Master Q

Quote from: Ringo on January 23, 2014, 11:55:26 AM
Just saying that you need to make sure that you trade well with the 30 limit and not trade for the sake of trading which you would have been used to with 2 trades per week.
Think that is a given Ringo  :P

Ricochet

I was the opposite Ringo. I found it to be quite a few.

In the past I would hang onto players who were injured for 5-6ish games. Last year with 30 trades I got rid of them if it was more than 2 weeks. I find it enough to take risks on injury prone players anyway.

But then I may have been lucky and missed out on some injuries that you copped