Main Menu

Movies: Warning - May contain spoilers

Started by Noz, January 14, 2014, 02:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukes

You guys have too high expectations like many SW fans tbh.

I thought it was good. Not as good as rogue one but about equal with revenge of the sith (and ahead of force awakens, phantom menace and attack of the clones), a decent movie. Adam Driver as Kylo was okay in TFA but was really great in this, and most of the plot and cast were very good. It had a nice balance between callbacks to the original series (but not too far like TFA) and being original (but not too far like the prequels).

Few problems I did have - not enough lightsaber battles; too mayn cheesy jokes/moments made to get a cheap laugh; Leia having magical force powers that shouldn’t be possible; Rose being boring and a bad character; no Snoke backstory at all; Finn being fine at the start after having his back and spine flowered up by Kylo; and them killing off the cute pilot girl early on ;-;

Overall I’d say it’s a solid 8/10 and probably one of the top 5 movies I’ve seen of 2017 (Logan Lucky and a Ghost Story top two, TLJ is probably equal with It and the Shape of Water). And for those who are keeping track at home:
5 > 4 > 6 > RO > 3 = 8 > 7 > 1 >2

Few wishes for episode 9:
Force ghosts with appearances from Hayden Christensen, Ewan McGregor, and Mark Hamill.
Kill off a main protagonist (Rey, Finn or Poe)
Handle the Leia/Carrie Fisher death well
Knights of Ren stuff

kilbluff1985

just watched the movie Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

the ending was so bad i'm not happy

enzedder

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on December 30, 2017, 06:55:36 PM
just watched the movie Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

the ending was so bad i'm not happy
The Mrs wants to see that. I just saw the trailer for it. Will give it a crack. Woody Harrelson gives it a big tick.

kilbluff1985

do you guys think there are a lack of big name movies out this year for christmas time? like normally there are a few out boxing day etc

Ringo

Just seen Jamamji. Have not laughed so much at a movie for years so if you need a laugh go see it.

GoLions

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on January 02, 2018, 07:43:16 AM
do you guys think there are a lack of big name movies out this year for christmas time? like normally there are a few out boxing day etc
Star Wars, Downsizing, Jamamji, Coco to name a few

Keeper27

Watched Jumanji, it was ok, had a few laughs here and there.
The Rock and Jack Black were really good in it. Kevin Hart just played Kevin Hart,
6/10

Nige

Went and saw The Commuter this arvo and personally enjoyed it. It's nothing special and is just another Liam Neeson action flick but it's interesting enough and played out well so I didn't mind it. A couple of things here and there were weird but yeah, probably about a generous 7/10.

jvalles69

Watched Wonder and Only the Brave over the past 2 nights over hear in Hakuba.  Both great movies, and both tear jerkers for the missus.

enzedder

Saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri today with the Mrs. Good movie.

RaisyDaisy

Watched Molly's Game tonight

It was alright, but too long (2hr20)

Bill Manspeaker

speaking of Game I watched Gerald's Game not long ago. I thought it was wicked

Keeper27

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on February 11, 2018, 01:42:45 AM
speaking of Game I watched Gerald's Game not long ago. I thought it was wicked

yeah, that was a good watch.

shaker

Watched Bone Tomahawk the other night on SBS wow not your average western

Jukes

Quote from: shaker on February 12, 2018, 04:00:02 PM
Watched Bone Tomahawk the other night on SBS wow not your average western

Great movie, maybe a bit over the top with the killing of the deputy and having the blind, limbless, pregnant women but overall very good - of course, how could a movie with Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, and Jack off Lost Matthew Fox not be great? Plot was decent, characterisation very good, and it did a good job of combining horror, western, adventure and drama.

Quote from: enzedder on February 10, 2018, 08:03:10 PM
Saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri today with the Mrs. Good movie.

I also saw this recently, loved it and I reckon it's very deserving of winning Best Picture and getting Frances McDormand her second best actress academy award. I know KB was not a fan of the ending at all but I think it was fine - the movie was never really about finding out who the murderer was in some kind of twist ending, it was about the characters and I think Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell (one of my favourite actors), and the aforementioned McDormand were all terrific.