Main Menu

What grinds your gears ?

Started by strikes91, August 28, 2013, 09:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilbluff1985

when commentators don't say first names if 2 players in a game with same surname

fanTCfool

I wonder if this has been triggered by McDonald...

kilbluff1985

Quote from: fanTCfool on August 21, 2016, 03:57:40 PM

confirmed

but they do it all the time

when Hawks vs Swans the Mitchell's are a nightmare with how much they get the ball

fanTCfool

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 21, 2016, 04:07:14 PM
Quote from: fanTCfool on August 21, 2016, 03:57:40 PM

confirmed

but they do it all the time

when Hawks vs Swans the Mitchell's are a nightmare with how much they get the ball

It'll be worse next year when it will supposedly be happening every week

Nige

Dunno if I've mentioned this one before and I don't think I wanna scroll through 9 pages to find out.  :P

Egos, narcissism, god/superiority complexes and proverbial dick waving contests.

T Dog

Quote from: Nige on August 22, 2016, 07:42:25 PM
Dunno if I've mentioned this one before and I don't think I wanna scroll through 9 pages to find out.  :P

Egos, narcissism, god/superiority complexes and proverbial dick waving contests.

Mate..I am so much better than most and if I have to go knob to knob with any religious idols I would win by a length.
My cockiness, manipulativeness, selfishness, power motives, and a love of mirrors are just Machiavellian not an inflated view of my self importance. My admiration of my own self is boundless, so I ask you...what are you saying?   ;D

Grazz

Airlines being allowed to jack up airfares to ridiculous prices for interstate footy fans who want to follow their team.
How is this even legal to do so and why are they allowed to get away with it. It's bloody criminal if you ask me.

Holz

Quote from: Grazz on September 12, 2016, 02:46:52 PM
Airlines being allowed to jack up airfares to ridiculous prices for interstate footy fans who want to follow their team.
How is this even legal to do so and why are they allowed to get away with it. It's bloody criminal if you ask me.
supply and demmand.

the one that gets me on airlines more, is overbooking.

was told 1.5 hours before my flight that it was overbooked and that my flight was the next day. Was in the taxi just outside the airport. All i got as compensation was $50 which is about the taxi ride to the airport.

Grazz

Quote from: Holz on September 12, 2016, 02:57:07 PM
supply and demmand.

was told 1.5 hours before my flight that it was overbooked and that my flight was the next day. Was in the taxi just outside the airport. All i got as compensation was $50 which is about the taxi ride to the airport.

I understand the price and demand argument but to me it's a crime for an airfare to go from one price to tripling overnight.
To me it smacks of price gouging much like fuel stations charging top dollar when the price should be lower at the pump.
What extra service do the airlines provide to justify jacking up the airfares for a week leading up to a a game of footy.
It's bloody criminal if you ask me and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. There's no argument that justifies what the airlines are doing other than price and demand and I don't except that as a legitimate reason for ripping people off for no other reason than more people wanting to travel on a given date. I have no issue with them putting the price up say $100 but to double or in some cases triple the standard return airfare to me is just theft pure and simple. Shouldn't be allowed. 

Holz

Quote from: Grazz on September 12, 2016, 03:26:07 PM
supply and demmand.

I understand the price and demand argument but to me it's a crime for an airfare to go from one price to tripling overnight.
To me it smacks of price gouging much like fuel stations charging top dollar when the price should be lower at the pump.
What extra service do the airlines provide to justify jacking up the airfares for a week leading up to a a game of footy.
It's bloody criminal if you ask me and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. There's no argument that justifies what the airlines are doing other than price and demand and I don't except that as a legitimate reason for ripping people off for no other reason than more people wanting to travel on a given date. I have no issue with them putting the price up say $100 but to double or in some cases triple the standard return airfare to me is just theft pure and simple. Shouldn't be allowed.

to play devil's advocate.

As planes not flying are losing money, im pretty sure they are maximized so they are flying as much as possible. Changing all the schedules in a short amount of time would be a reasonably costly affair having to change all the logistics around it.

The question becomes is it better they have a crazy expensive flight or no flight at all. The people who truly should be annoyed are people who need to say travel for other reasons such as business who are paying crazy prices because of the football.

elephants

supply and demmand.

Yeah its pretty annoying but money makes the world go round.

If the Eagles won last week I would have been starting up the car and driving over!

Grazz

Quote from: Holz on September 12, 2016, 03:33:38 PM
supply and demmand.

As planes not flying are losing money, im pretty sure they are maximized so they are flying as much as possible. Changing all the schedules in a short amount of time would be a reasonably costly affair having to change all the logistics around it.

The question becomes is it better they have a crazy expensive flight or no flight at all. The people who truly should be annoyed are people who need to say travel for other reasons such as business who are paying crazy prices because of the football.

With the old man being engineering manager for East West Airlines for years, the logistics of organising more aircraft because of demand is alot simpler than many would think and done regularly throughout the year. There's a cost to the airline having an aircraft sit on the tarmac idle, airlines pay a premium to the airport owners for space to store their idle aircraft just as we do if we park in the city. Yes the aircraft needs pilots and staff but all these costs are covered via tickets sold as they are every other day people are travelling. The extra staff required are already on salary and available no extra staff is required, penalty rates and overtime don't apply to airlines the planes are there and available particularly in Sydney where most of the airlines are based, domestic and to a smaller extent international.

Like you I feel for those travelling for business and other reasons other than wanting to go to the footy, this makes it more ridiculous as to why they are allowed to do it, because a hell of alot more people are caught up in the madness and extra expense than those wanting to travelling to watch the footy.

Ringo

Quote from: Grazz on September 12, 2016, 04:19:17 PM
Quote from: Holz on September 12, 2016, 03:33:38 PM
supply and demmand.

With the old man being engineering manager for East West Airlines for years, the logistics of organising more aircraft because of demand is alot simpler than many would think and done regularly throughout the year. There's a cost to the airline having an aircraft sit on the tarmac idle, airlines pay a premium to the airport owners for space to store their idle aircraft just as we do if we park in the city. Yes the aircraft needs pilots and staff but all these costs are covered via tickets sold as they are every other day people are travelling. The extra staff required are already on salary and available no extra staff is required, penalty rates and overtime don't apply to airlines the planes are there and available particularly in Sydney where most of the airlines are based, domestic and to a smaller extent international.

Like you I feel for those travelling for business and other reasons other than wanting to go to the footy, this makes it more ridiculous as to why they are allowed to do it, because a hell of alot more people are caught up in the madness and extra expense than those wanting to travelling to watch the footy.
Same thing happening with NRL as well. Checked flights to Townsville on Friday and cheapest was $429 Usually you can get flights for around $200.

Grazz

Yeh it's ridiculous Ringo. My father was involved with aviation for decades and other family members in different capacities such as pilots, ticketing manager, stewards etc and to a man/woman all say there is absolutely no reason for the airlines to increase fares to the levels they do other than to grab as much cash as possible from those travelling over those dates. The ACCC should be all over this but like they fuel companies they continue to get away with it because the ACCC is a toothless tiger reluctant to spend any of their budget policing this.

Domestic airlines lease a large percentage of their aircraft, it's far more profitable to have these aircraft in the air flying than sitting idle on the tarmac. Extra demand at anytime saves the airlines a great deal but in return they use these times to rip off those travelling over particular dates where demand is higher than normal.   

Torpedo10

Quote from: Grazz on September 12, 2016, 04:49:57 PM
Yeh it's ridiculous Ringo. My father was involved with aviation for decades and other family members in different capacities such as pilots, ticketing manager, stewards etc and to a man/woman all say there is absolutely no reason for the airlines to increase fares to the levels they do other than to grab as much cash as possible from those travelling over those dates. The ACCC should be all over this but like they fuel companies they continue to get away with it because the ACCC is a toothless tiger reluctant to spend any of their budget policing this.

Domestic airlines lease a large percentage of their aircraft, it's far more profitable to have these aircraft in the air flying than sitting idle on the tarmac. Extra demand at anytime saves the airlines a great deal but in return they use these times to rip off those travelling over particular dates where demand is higher than normal.
Why do hotels cost more during holiday season? I'm sure everyone will tell you they'd rather go during the middle of school/Uni season as that's when everything is cheap.  ;)

Pure fact is you either have to book when they're cheaper, or face the consequences.