Previous topic - Next topic

elephants

Quote from: My Chumps on January 01, 2014, 08:44:48 PM
Quote from: elephants on January 01, 2014, 12:38:13 PM
Quote from: My Chumps on December 31, 2013, 07:47:00 PM
Quote from: vinny on December 30, 2013, 06:01:49 PM
Quote from: Noz on December 30, 2013, 05:56:28 PM
Where are you Suarez. Where are you
Should've had a penalty late in the game after Eto'o blatantly blocked him at about the 80th minute mark. He did have a quite one though, was well marked by Cahill.

Obstruction actually leads to an indirect free-kick so it wouldn't have been a penalty. Plus he launched himself on the ground and the ref was having none of that, just like the Hazard incident in the 1st half. At least there was some consistency :)
Oh come on, Eto'o flat out kicked him in the knee and then basically hip and shouldered him. Bit different to the Hazard incident, although I also think that also could've been a penalty. One of those ones that could go either way really.

Eto'o made a number of reckless challenges too. Could've easily collected a couple of yellows.

Whether you believe there was a free or not is irrelevant. Indirect Free-kick would have ensued due to obstruction ;)

My Chumps

Quote from: elephants on January 02, 2014, 04:22:45 AM
Should've had a penalty late in the game after Eto'o blatantly blocked him at about the 80th minute mark. He did have a quite one though, was well marked by Cahill.

Obstruction actually leads to an indirect free-kick so it wouldn't have been a penalty. Plus he launched himself on the ground and the ref was having none of that, just like the Hazard incident in the 1st half. At least there was some consistency :)
Oh come on, Eto'o flat out kicked him in the knee and then basically hip and shouldered him. Bit different to the Hazard incident, although I also think that also could've been a penalty. One of those ones that could go either way really.

Eto'o made a number of reckless challenges too. Could've easily collected a couple of yellows.

Whether you believe there was a free or not is irrelevant. Indirect Free-kick would have ensued due to obstruction ;)
Well actually Ele, that's not true.
"If there is obstruction in the penalty area then it would be a Indirect Free Kick but if there was contact in the process of a player trying to obstruct another player then it would be a penalty kick."
Eto'o made contact with Suarez so it would've been a penalty.

CrowsFan

Rubbish performance by United, but how were they not given a penalty when Lloris took out Young in the box? What a rubbish call!! >:(
Then 30 seconds later Januzaj gets body checked outside the box, the Tottenham players stop expecting it to be a free kick, but instead Adnan gets booked for diving. flowering terrible!!

Tominator

so my mid-season reviews are starting!  The aim is to get 2-3 done per day, but that may change with me going away next week. We'll see how we go ay?   ::)   Hope you enjoy them though! Feedback is very welcome

Tominator's Mid-Season Review -- ARSENAL

League Standing:   1st | 45 points (P20 - W14 - D3 - L3) | GD +21

Star Player:            Aaron Ramsey

Arsenal have started the season extremely well. Despite a first-game loss to Aston Villa, when fans were calling for Arsene Wenger's head, the arrival of 42 million man Mesut Ozil has transformed the Gunners' season so far. They led the EPL for most of the season, only relinquishing it on the Christmas break before regaining it by the New Year, but they have also finished first in a Champions League group stage, with Napoli and 2012 CL runners up Borussia Dortmund. Their midfield depth is a major strength, with the likes of Ozil, Jack Wilshere, Santi Cazorla, the returning Theo Walcott, and the most improved player in the EPL this season, Aaron Ramsey, who is scoring goals for fun. These players, with the rise of Olivier Giroud, have combined for intricate passing - think back to Wilshere's goal against Norwich - and terrorising opposition defences. However, they are looking to consolidate by adding another striker to their ranks - many say that Nicklas "The Lord" Bendtner is not good enough as a second striker - while another goalkeeper is also on the cards. Arsenal also need to do better in games against big clubs, as they have only managed 1 point in three games against Chelsea and both of the Manchester clubs. But there is a lot of optimism at the Emirates, and if Wenger's men can keep this form up they are right in the frame for a title tilt, and an end to their 8-year trophy drought.

Predicted Finish:   2nd

Tominator

Tominator's Mid-Season Review -- ASTON VILLA

League Standing:   11th | 23 points (P20 - W6 - D5 - L9) | GD -6

Star Player:            Brad Guzan

Villa have had a bit of a mixed season so far, recording famous victories against the likes of Arsenal and Manchester City, but also suffered a couple of losses to Fulham and Crystal Palace. Christian Benteke's decision to stay has helped Villa both on and off the pitch, although the big Belgian has struggled a bit more with form and injury more than he did last season. His fellow striker, Czech Libor Kozak has been able to chip in with vital goals here and there to gain tight victories. Fabian Delph has proven himself this season, and his goal against Southampton to seal a 3-2 win was nothing short of spectacular. Villa have traditionally been weak defensively, but Brad Guzan has made vital saves consistently, to keep clean sheets as well as gain points that Villa may have not had if not for him. With 6 managers sacked so far this season, Paul Lambert has done well to hold onto his job - after a shaky period in 2012/13 - and should keep it unless Villa suffer a massive slide of form before May. Villa may be 13th but are still in a very tight relegation battle, so will need to perform well and possibly add a new face or two in January, but I think they should survive.

Predicted Finish:   15th

My Chumps

Quote from: CrowsFan on January 02, 2014, 11:53:27 PM
Rubbish performance by United, but how were they not given a penalty when Lloris took out Young in the box? What a rubbish call!! >:(
Then 30 seconds later Januzaj gets body checked outside the box, the Tottenham players stop expecting it to be a free kick, but instead Adnan gets booked for diving. flowering terrible!!
That was very rough! I reckon Young and (to a lesser extent) Januzaj's reputation as divers hurt them there.

Tominator

Tominator's Mid-Season Review -- CARDIFF

League Standing:   17th | 18 points (P20 - W4 - D6 - L10) | GD -17

Star Player:            Stephen Caulker

A very interesting start to the season for Cardiff, their first season in top-flight English football in 51 years. However, the man that got them there, Malky Mackay is now gone, and Ole Gunnar Solksjaer has replaced him. The fractious relationship between Mackay and owner Vincent Tan has been the main talking point for Cardiff, and has threatened to send Cardiff's season into disarray. However, they have had shining lights and bright moments - their 3-2 win against Manchester City, the 2-2 draw against Manchester United, and a 1-0 win against arch rivals Swansea, showed they are a club that has passion instilled into them, and love playing in front of their home fans. They do have a strong spine in keeper David Marshall, centre-back Stephen Caulker, midfielders Pete Whittingham and Gary Medel, and striker Fraiser Campbell. These five will be key to Cardiff's survival hopes, as will any January signings. The sacking of Mackay and the replacement in Solksjaer is the make-or-break moment for Cardiff, and will ultimately have a huge influence on their fate. They are well in the middle of the relegation dogfight, but I think they might just come out of it.... just.

Predicted Finish:   17th

Tominator

Tominator's Mid-Season Review -- CHELSEA

League Standing:   3rd | 43 points (P20 - W13 - D4 - L3) | GD +19

Star Player:            Eden Hazard

Jose Mourinho's second coming as Chelsea boss has seen him create a number of headlines, but despite several little bumps on the way, the Blues sit comfortably in the top four. This is despite the disappointing form of their trio of strikers - Samuel Eto'o, Fernando Torres and Demba Ba - who have failed to fire, but defensively they have been very tight, with Petr Cech conceding just 19 goals so far (equal second only to Arsenal). Chelsea have managed to find goals from their plethora of midfielders - Eden Hazard and Oscar have been in superb form - but their best midfielder of the previous two seasons, Juan Mata has barely had an impact at all. Mourinho has frozen out the Spanish playmaker consistently this season I personally think it might come back to bite the Blues if, as expected, he leaves - in favour of summer signings Willian, seemingly signed just to piss Tottenham off, and Andre Schurrle. Fellow midfielder Kevin de Bruyne has also suffered a similar fate to that of Mata. Chelsea will definitely look to add players in January - talks of a new striker are apparently well-founded - even though they have several already on loan, such as Romelu Lukaku, Marko Marin, Victor Moses and others. Through all the controversies and conflicts that have come about, Chelsea have come out of pretty well, and are very well positioned for a title challenge. They are beginning to pick up pace and string together consistent performances, and played well in the UCL. If they can improve their away form, and win some crunch games, they will be in a very good position to gain silverware.

Predicted Finish:   3rd

Tominator

Tominator's Mid-Season Review -- CRYSTAL PALACE

League Standing:   18th | 17 points (P20 - W5 - D2 - L13) | GD -16

Star Player:            Mile Jedinak

Palace started the season pretty poorly, conceding goals for fun defensively and not offering much attackingly. This ultimately cost Ian Holloway his job, but once Holloway departed, Palace had a significant lift in form. Tony Pulis has them playing a different brand of football, but one that is tighter defensively and can be deadly on the counter. They were unlucky not to get a point against Manchester City at the Etihad recently, and have managed to string together some fighting results against teams they would have been fancied to struggle against. Dwight Gayle has been a bit disappointing in the first half of the season, but fellow strikers Cameron Jerome and particularly (of late) Marouane Chamakh have managed to score goals regularly under Pulis. Defensively, Danny Gabbidon and goalkeeper Julian Speroni have benefitted from Pulis' defensive-based tactics, keeping four clean sheets in the space of five games recently. Mile Jedinak has been Mr Consistent and an inspirational leader in midfield, while Barry Bannan tries his heart out every game. Though they recently escaped the drop zone (only to fall back in it by the New Year), Palace will most likely drop back down to the Championship at the end of this season - it is likely but far from certain. Anything is possible in this relegation race, but my gut feel is that Palace will drop.

Predicted Finish:   19th

My Chumps

Good to see Mile having such a fine season. He'd have to earn himself a spot in the World Cup on the back of his performance, wouldn't he?

specky92

I think Szczęsny has flown under the radar for us, doesn't get a lot of recognition with Ramsey, Ozil, Cazorla and Walcott getting most of the attention but he's improved heaps since last season.

elephants

Quote from: My Chumps on January 02, 2014, 01:46:44 PM
Quote from: elephants on January 02, 2014, 04:22:45 AM

Well actually Ele, that's not true.
"If there is obstruction in the penalty area then it would be a Indirect Free Kick but if there was contact in the process of a player trying to obstruct another player then it would be a penalty kick."
Eto'o made contact with Suarez so it would've been a penalty.

To me that seems like a pretty large grey-area. How do you obstruct without making contact and when does contact become severe enough to deserve a penalty not a free-kick..?

Quote from: CrowsFan on January 02, 2014, 11:53:27 PM

And Howard Webb was ref!! What happened!? Someone forget their bribe payment ;)

Tominator

Tominator's Mid-Season Review -- EVERTON

League Standing:   5th | 38 points (P20 - W10 - D8 - L2) | GD +13

Star Player:            Seamus Coleman  (sorry Ross Barkley!)

It has been an unbelievable start to the season for new manager Roberto Martinez. The Toffees have only lost twice, on the back of one of the most shrewd defences in the league. Tim Howard has been fantastic in goals, while Sylvain Distin and Phil Jagielka have formed a vital pairing in the heart of defence. Martinez's attacking game plan has allowed wing-backs Leighton Baines, Seamus Coleman and (in the absence of Baines) Bryan Oviedo to get forward and score goals. Coleman in particular has been outstanding this season, particularly in Fantasy Premier League!! The loss of Marouane Fellaini has allowed Everton to purchase up and coming youngster Jack McCarthy, but also afford the wages to seal the loan signings of Gareth Barry, Gerard Deulofeu and the Belgian beast Romelu Lukaku. Lukaku's late double in the thrilling 3-3 Merseyside Derby draw - arguably the game of the season so far - was a highlight. Kevin Mirallas has also been a revelation in recent weeks too, really making an impact in his attacking midfield role. Martinez is beginning to put together a very good team, and this is shown by their early season form. While Lukaku is unlikely to stay beyond this season, Barry may join permanently, and he has really made an impact in midfield in the absence of Darron Gibson. Him and superstar youngster Ross Barkley have formed a formidable pairing, with the latter forcing his way into World Cup calculations with some superb performances, well beyond his years. His contributions in away matches to Swansea and Norwich are two games that come to mind. I think that Everton will fall just short in the race for the Top Four, mainly due to Liverpool having one Luis Suarez, but with Tottenham's inconsistencies and Manchester United floundering, Everton could very well jag a Europa League spot if they maintain their stellar start. However, United generally lift in the latter rounds of the season, so I think the Toffees may just miss out. But they are seriously building something.

Predicted Finish:   6th

Tominator

Swansea beat Manchester United in the FA Cup     :D  8)

And West Ham lost 5-0 to Nottingham Forest    ;D ;D

My Chumps