EPL 2013/14 Mega Thread - Previews, Reviews and General Discussion/Banter

Started by Tominator, August 13, 2013, 12:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Tominator

GAMEWEEK 2 WRAP

Fulham 1-3 Arsenal

Good game for Arsenal to silence their critics - for now, anyway. Lukas Podolski scored twice and made the most of Jack Wilshere's absence, and striker Olivier Giroud was again very good. Wojciech Szceszny was very good in goal, making numerous diving saves, while Santi Cazorla was also influential, and helped Arsenal maintain control for most of the game. Fulham's loanee Darren Bent came on and pulled one back for the home side, but it was only a consolation goal in the end. This was a good response from their bad loss last week against Villa

Hull 1-0 Norwich

Pretty soft penalty split the two sides come full time. Robbie Brady's first half spot-kick - may I add, a very dubious decision to give the penalty in the first place - was the only goal of the game. Yannick Sagbo was sent off for a bizarre headbutt before half-time, so Norwich really should have capitalised on this extra man advantage, but could not. Nathan Redmond looked very good and was arguably Norwich's best, and may retain his place in the starting side once Robert Snodgrass is fit and firing. Ditching his hideous haircut may help too. Having said that, Hull played out of their skin, and for them to get a win in their first game at home will give them great confidence.

Newcastle 0-0 West Ham

This was quite a bad performance for the home side, especially after their loss to Manchester City, and was met with a chorus of boos after the final whistle. Tim Krul was very busy and was easily Newcastle's best player, as he thwarted many chances created by West Ham. The Hammers were very good but could not find a way past Krul, even though they found a way past the Toon's defence several times. Modibo Maiga had a goal in the 88th minute disallowed for offside, but Newcastle should have won it in injury time when Yoan Gouffran skied a simple tap-in. West Ham did deserve three points, but both sides were wasteful in front of goal

Stoke 2-1 Crystal Palace

Decent game at The Britannia. Maruoane Chamakh put Palace into the lead in the first half with a very well-taken strike, but it was the only goal for the Eagles, as they lacked finesse and wasted their chances. Peter Crouch nearly equalised late in the first half but Stoke scored twice in close succession to edge ahead, through Charlie Adam and Ryan Shawcross on the hour mark. Palace were unlucky to lose, as I thought they performed admirably, and probably deserved a point, but Stoke took their chances better.

Aston Villa 0-1 Liverpool

This game was actually quite an exciting one, despite the scorecard. Daniel Sturridge scored in the opening half with a piece of technical brilliance, dazzling through defenders and rounding the keeper before scoring. He really is becoming a very good replacement for the suspended Luis Suarez, scoring 7 goals in his last 8 EPL games since joining from Chelsea. Christian Benteke was kept quiet in a good display by Liverpool's back four - where Kolo Toure is settling in really well - and Simon Mignolet was quiet but did what he had to when he was needed. While it wasn't the high-scoring game many expected, Liverpool deserved the three points.

Southampton 1-1 Sunderland

New signing from Juventus Emanuele Giaccherini opened the scoring for Sunderland in the early minutes with a header, the midfielder's first goal for the club. Jay Rodriguez looked to have equalised moments later but a 50-50 offside call went against Southampton, who did not equalise until the 88th minute when defender Jose Fonte headed home. Southampton's latest signing Pablo Osvaldo came off the bench and, unsurprisingly (given his controversial history in Italy), got a yellow card. Good game but lacked a real game-changing player, so a draw was a fair result.

Everton 0-0 West Bromich Albion

Pretty dour nil all draw really. Kevin Mirallas came close in the first half when his effort was wonderfully saved by Ben Foster, while Foster was again put to the test by Ross Barkley, Maruoane Fellaini and Steven Pienaar at varying stages of the match. West Brom didn't really come alive until the hour mark, when Shane Long and Graham Dorrans both had shots saved well by Tim Howard. Howard and Foster were both in superb form all day, and didn't look like conceding. However, both sides were very good defensively, and a draw was a fair result.

Cardiff 3-2 Manchester City

What a game!!! Who would have seen this coming? Cardiff were absolutely superb after they went behind. Kim Bo Kyung and Fraizer Campbell were the stars but for Cardiff to get their first win, in their first EPL game in 51 years at their home ground, was like a fairytale. The home fans were in sheer ecstasy - they came for a spectacle, and they got exactly that. City conceded two goals from corners, so their defending from set pieces is a concern. Edin Dzeko's goal was a thunderous strike, and he was arguably City's biggest threat before he got subbed for fellow goalscorer Alvaro Negredo in the second half. But a wonderful performance from Cardiff, it is the feel-good story of the year so far.

Tottenham 1-0 Swansea

Tottenham got the three points but again had to rely on Roberto Soldado from the penalty spot. They were the better side and could easily have won by 3 goals or more if not for some world-class saves by Michel Vorm in Swansea's goal - he is a very underrated keeper IMO. Michu missed a very good chance early on and hasn't really fired, while Wilfried Bony was again a substitute. For Tottenham, Jan Vertonghen was superb in defence, while Paulinho was creative but wasteful in front of goal. Andros Townsend was arguably their best, terrorising the defence, and he drew two fouls in the penalty box from Jonjo Shelvey - the first one was not paid, but the second was, and Soldado converted.

Manchester United 0-0 Chelsea

Bizarre scoreline for a bizarre game. Wayne Rooney as dangerous against his potential new club, arguably United's best. Intriguingly, Chelsea started with no striker, playing Andre Schurrle up front and benching Juan Mata. Bit bizarre by Mourinho given his options, or maybe it was a signal of intent towad Rooney. Both sides managed to create chances but wasted them, although United were the better side. Neither side really deserved to score, although United were the better side, a nil-all draw is a strange but fair result.

T Dog

Great write up big Tom.
What are your thoughts on Bony getting more of a run? I may have to trade him out for Sturridge or Chamakh by the looks... :-\

Tominator

Quote from: T Dog on August 27, 2013, 12:22:23 PM
Great write up big Tom.
What are your thoughts on Bony getting more of a run? I may have to trade him out for Chamakh by the looks... :-\

Swansea are just rotating him with Europa League matches to play as well. They paid 12 million pounds for him so he shouldn't be on the bench for too much longer, I think he is just establishing a connection with the playing style, etc. But Michu isn't an out-and-out striker, he is better when playing behind Bony, so that'll come soon.

Hopefully he can get a start.... I'd wait on him at least one more week, unless you're upgrading to Sturridge or somebody

Swansea have  a tough start but their draw opens up soon

Andy3737

Man utd vs chelsea was actually really boring. No idea what game you wre watching.....

timmyparso

My Chumps

Tominator

I'll try and do a write up tomorrow but I'm a bit busy at the moment

if other people wanna post their opinions on games then they are more than welcome!

Luigi197

Liverpool v Man United

Liverpool got to a quick start and got their result within 4 minutes from a powerful header from Agger from a Gerrard Corner that Sturridge literally ducked under but got the slightest of touches to veer the ball in between Evra and Cleverly i think who were on the goal line. Liverpool continued in the same fashion, with CDMs Carrick and Cleverly unable to intercept many of the balls coming through from Coutinho and Gerrard into Aspas or Sturridge. Aspas needs a lot of improvement in first touch and decision making while with Coutinho unsurprisingly equaled the amount of moments of pure skill to the amount of moments of lack of concentration. Although around the 25 minute mark the game started to get a bit more even. Half time brought a slight halt to United's momentum, but as the game went on, they were looking more likely and likely. The referee was quite strict and dished out quite a few yellow cards, but was at least consistent. Jones had a leg injury, his replacement Valencia got a finger in the eye. Nani provided some good pace off the bench, while if anyone was going to get the breakthrough, it was RVP. He just never prevailed. Liverpool did get a deserving win. Liverpool fans go crazy, while Moyes will be feeling a bit shaky. These big matches are so important early on in the season.

FYI, I'm a Chelsea fan who is not one to go on hating other clubs or players for that. I don't know all about soccer history, but I like to say that i know enough about the modern game, players and tactics. Admittedly i'm merely a youngen.

Tominator

GAMEWEEK 3 WRAP

Manchester City 2-0 Hull

The scoreline may suggest an easy win but City hardly dominated. Sone Aluko missed a bread-and-butter chance early on, while Danny Graham scored from an offside position before Manchester City had even woken up. From there on though City had most of the chances, with David Silva providing dangerous crosses and through balls. Eventually, Alvaro Negredo scored his second goal for City, before right at the death Yaya Toure doubled the lead with another free kick. Good signs for Hull, they fought hard but City proved too strong.

Cardiff City 0-0 Everton

Three past Manchester City one week, none past Everton the next. Cardiff couldn't manage to find the back of the net against Everton but were probably the better side. For the Toffees, two scoreless draws in a row for Roberto Martinez's side says two things - they have tightened up defensively, but they have also failed to solve their attacking problems. That is until yesterday when they signed Romelu Lukaku, Gareth Barry (both loans) and James McCarthy (permanent), which should give them a more attacking edge, whilst covering Marouane Fellaini's departure. Nikita Jelavic continues to falter in front of goal, while Leighton Baines deserved a penalty and didn't get it. Both sides felt they deserved more.

Norwich 1-0 Southampton

Good game at Carrow Road that may have unearthed a star in Nathan Redmond. Both sides created chances but Redmond was a defender's nightmare - and was not afraid to go alone either, going on darting runs that tore apart the Saints' defence, before eventually scoring in the 67th minute. Southampton dominated possession but John Ruddy was in fine form, while Adam Lallana's volley in the first half rattled off the post. 1-0 is probably not a fair reflection of the scoreline, as both sides should have been given penalties but weren't, especially the foul-not-given on Robert Snodgrass in injury time. But good game and probably a fair result.

West Ham 0-1 Stoke

Stoke were very good in this one - very very good. A common trait of them in the psat has been to have a strong defensive edge, but under Mark Hughes they have added an attacking edge. Stoke dominated much of the game, with some superb saves from Jussi Jaaskelainen thwarting the likes of Kenwyne Jones, Jonathan Walters - who can't seem to score - and Mark Wilson. But with full time approaching, Jermaine Pennant finally broke the deadlock with a free kick, and Stoke got their deserved three points.

Newcastle 1-0 Fulham

Absolute screamer from Hatem Ben Arfa separated the two sides when it also appeared destined for another dour draw. Both sides didn't really look like scoring in the first half, but the game really opened up in the second. The best chances came when Papiss Cisse's header (from Ben Arfa's cross) pounded against the bar, and Bryan Ruiz's free kick did test Tim Krul. Yoan Gouffran was impressive in the latter stages of the game as well. Yohan Cabaye - his first appearance since speculation linking him to Arsenal - was met with cheers and jeers when coming on as a substitute, but it was Ben Arfa that stole the show and was Newcastle's only spark for much of the game, terrorising defenders down the right flank and scoring a crackerjack goal.

Crystal Palace 3-1 Sunderland

This game has announced Crystal Palace's arrival in the Premier League, while it has sharpened the axe above Paolo di Canio's head. Palace were awesome and deserved the three points, while di Canio again lost his head after Sunderland collapsed to another defeat. They haven't looked good so far this season. Palace went ahead after 9 minutes when Gabbidon got the last touch off a post-corner goalline scramble. Stephen Fletcher equalised but when John O'Shea was sent off, Palace converted the penalty and then really looked like scoring again as they dominated from there on. And score again they did when Steven O'Keefe (no not the Australian cricketer ::) ) launched a curling strike into the top corner to send Selhurst Park into ecstasy

West Bromich Albion 0-2 Swansea

Very good display by Swansea to give them their first points for the season. Pablo Hernandez is becoming a very good player down the wing, assisting Ben Davies' beautiful volley in the first half before Hernandez scored himself late in the second. He showed glimpses of his talent last season, but is backing it up with consistency in 2013/14. Michu and Wilfried Bony were finally paired together in a starting XI, showing signs of a growing partnership. For West Brom, struggled for chances and they didn't really threaten. Good result for Swansea, but its not all doom and gloom for the Baggies, with four deadline-day signings to join their line-up.

Liverpool 1-0 Manchester United

No Suarez, no worries? At the moment that is the case Daniel Sturridge scored again to make it three 1-0 wins in three games for Liverpool, and send them atop of the EPL Ladder, with a sweet draw to come. Sturridge's 4th minute goal was the only one of the game, a flick-on coming from Daniel Agger's header from a corner. But in all honesty, Liverpool deserved the three points! They played better than United and created more chances. They frustrated the United midfield - why are they relying on Ryan Giggs, who looks past it, and not Shinji Kagawa, who is rotting on their bench??? - and kept Robin van Persie isolated up forward, hence why he got into tangles with Steven Gerrard and Martin Skrtel. But a very convincing display from Liverpool, and they'll only get better once Suarez returns and their new signings arrive too.

Arsenal 1-0 Tottenham

The North London rivals met - Arsenal having spent $0 in this transfer window (prior to Ozil) and Tottenham having spent 100 million pounds. But it was the Gunners who won the day after Olivier Giroud scored with a classy finish in the opening 7 minutes. Giroud has been in stellar form lately - and I reckon he'll only get better with the brilliant signing of Mesut Ozil. As for Tottenham, they are still a work in progress, and are still gelling together as a team. Erik Lamela showed glimpses off the bench, while Christian Eriksen will also add firepower. However, losing Etienne Capoue to injury will hurt them. A good game in a growing battle between the two neighbours, but Arsenal snatch the three points.

T Dog

Tominator

With the consultation of Hawka I've decided to merge this thread into what he had going before...

Both threads were kinda dying down a bit, so we thought we should merge them, hence the new title

So any EPL-related discussion/banter then post here. Feel free to post tips or even your own reviews too, this isn't a one man show in me... the more contributors the better!

Tominator

PREVIEW GAMEWEEK 4

Manchester United v Crystal Palace
COMMENT: This good be the game that kickstarts United's season. RVP will be licking his chops at a weak-ish Palace defence that is yet to register a clean sheet. Will be interesting to see if Shinji Kagawa and Wilfried Zaha play this one, because they are both due.

KEY PLAYER: Robin van Persie (Manchester United)

MY TIP: 3-0 to Manchester United

Aston Villa v Newcastle
COMMENT: A lot will depend on how the attacking weapons play (Benteke and Ben Arfa). Both sides have been OK this season, showing patches of brilliance but not enough. This game is a good chance for both teams to get a good win.

KEY PLAYER: Hatem Ben Arfa (Newcastle)

MY TIP: 1-1 draw

Fulham v West Brom
COMMENT: An out-of-sorts West Brom have only 1 point from their first three games. They'll need to be switched on if they are to take points off Fulham at Craven Cottage. Darren Bent and Dimitar Berbatov are beginning to click nicely, and will cause problems for the Baggies. But WBA did sign several players late in the transfer window, such as Sessegnon and Sinclair, who could change their fortunes.

KEY PLAYER: Stephane Sessegnon (West Brom)

Hull v Cardiff
COMMENT: First time two of the promoted clubs have met this season. If one of the two can get a win then it could be vital to survival come end of the season, so should be a good game. Both sides have attacking options with weak-ish defences that could lead to a high-scoring game.

KEY PLAYER: Kim Bo-Kyung (Cardiff)

Stoke v Manchester City
COMMENT: Stoke have started the season very well and face their biggest test at home to a Jekyll-and-Hyde team in Man City. As good as the likes of Begovic and Shawcross have been, City's attacking options get them home

KEY PLAYER: Asmir Begovic (Stoke)

MY TIP: 2-0 to Manchester City

Sunderland v Arsenal
COMMENT: Sunderland are in trouble at the moment. Paolo Di Canio's methods aren't clicking yet, so if Sunderland lose this one heavily then they could be thrown into relegation contention. New signing Mesut Ozil should get his first game for Arsenal too, and Sunderland will struggle to contain him, Giroud and Walcott.

KEY PLAYER: Mesut Ozil (Arsenal)

MY TIP: 3-0 to Arsenal

Tottenham v Norwich
COMMENT: Norwich were very good for much of their last game against Southampton, while Tottenham were unlucky not to get a point against Arsenal. Tottenham are yet to score a goal from open-play this season, but I think they will in this game, with their new signings now all playing.

KEY PLAYER: Ricky van Wolfswinkel (Norwich) ... if he takes his opportunities, Norwich are a chance

MY TIP: 2-1 to Tottenham

Everton v Chelsea
COMMENT: Biggest test for Roberto Martinez's side who have managed three draws to start. Have not scored for last 180 minutes, and will find it tough to do that against Chelsea. Everton signed three players on deadline day (but Lukaku won't be playing this game) so see how their formation may change to accompany that. Samuel Eto'o and Willian may debut for Chelsea too.

KEY PLAYER: Leighton Baines (Everton)

MY TIP: 2-1 to Chelsea

Southampton v West Ham
COMMENT: Another tight game to call. Southampton are normally very good defensively at home, and have been solid all over the park. West Ham will need to take their chances when they come.

KEY PLAYER: Kevin Nolan (West Ham)

MY TIP: 1-0 to Southampton

Swansea v Liverpool
COMMENT: Last game of the round might be the best. Swansea really clicked last week, but Liverpool are in great form at the moment, yet to concede a goal. However, their star man Sturridge might miss through injury, and if he does, the likelihood of Swansea snatching a win is more likely. Swansea are an attacking side, and Jonjo Shelvey faces his former club for the first time. Won't surprise me if Liverpool win 2-1, but if Sturridge is out I'm gonna go with 1-1 draw. Should be a cracking game.

KEY PLAYER: Wilfried Bony (Swansea)

My Chumps

Nige

I'd like to argue that Jedinak is the key player in the Man Utd vs Palace game.  :P