EPL 2013/14 Mega Thread - Previews, Reviews and General Discussion/Banter

Started by Tominator, August 13, 2013, 12:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominator

EPL is back this weekend!!!! So keen for it and I'm sure many of you guys are too

Comment your opinions on the upcoming season, and answer these questions.

EPL Premier: (1st)
Champions League Qualifiers: (2nd-4th)
Europa League Qualifier: (5th)
"The Bolters":
"The Sliders":
Relegated Teams:
Golden Boot Winner:
Player with Most Assists:
Golden Glove: (goalkeeper with most clean sheets)
General thoughts for the upcoming season:

* The Bolter: The team or teams that you think will have a much bigger impact than in past years

** The Slider: The team or teams whose performances will slip from last season

Tominator

EPL Premier:
Manchester City. Four very very good squad additions in Navas, Fernandinho, Jovetic and Negredo give their side a very strong attacking presence, and I am predicting goals aplenty from them. Don't discount Chelsea either, but I think City have the edge, unless Rooney goes to Chelsea, then it will be reallyyyyy hard to split

Champions League Qualifiers:
Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal. In that order as well.

Europa League Qualifier:
Tottenham. With Bale, they can push into the Top 4. Without Bale, they will still push for CL spot, with quality signings like Paulinho, Soldado, Chadli and potentially Etienne Capoue as well, but more likely Europa League.

It will be another intriguing battle between Arsenal and Tottenham for the final CL spot.

"The Bolters":
My team. Swansea. Look at their signings. Look at their pre-season form. Look at their manager. Playing in Europa League as well, which will give them much benefit as well. Bony and Michu could become a lethal combination, while Pozuelo, Shelvey and De Guzman will create dangerous chances. Good depth too. Don't think they'll make the Top 6 but they might give a few teams a fright or two.

Southampton, West Ham and Norwich have all made some very good signings - Wanyama, Carroll, Van Wolfswinkel, etc - so predicting them to rise up the table a bit and push for the top half

"The Sliders":
Hard to pick one. I think Aston Villa potentially, as they still seem to be a tad over-reliant on Christian Benteke, and if he went down they would really struggle. West Bromich Albion may also find it hard to repeat last season's exploiits without 17-goal man Romelu Lukaku, but are looking at another mid-table finish. But one team that could have a more noticable slide...

I'm gonna call it now - Manchester United. If Rooney goes, and they fail to bring back CR7 (or another very good midfielder), and without the mastermind SAF at the helm, United might drop off a bit. God help them if RVP goes down. I'm predicting them to finish third

Relegated Teams:
Hard to see any of the new boys staying up past this season. Not sure what order but Hull, Cardiff and Crystal Palace will go back down for mine. Cardiff have the best chance of staying up, but still unlikely.... Of the established teams, Aston Villa and Fulham look the most vulnerable but I think they'll stay up

Golden Boot:
Robin van Persie

Player with most assists:
Eden Hazard

Golden Glove:
Petr Cech or Joe Hart

This is gonna be a really good season. Doubt there will be a runaway winner like there was last year.

Four men hold key to the placements of the Top 6 - Luis Suarez, Wayne Rooney, Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo. If they switch clubs - Suarez to Arsenal, Rooney to Chelsea, Bale to Madrid and Ronaldo to Man Utd - whether they stay or go, all clubs involved will be effected massively, as I've spoken about already

I think a lot of teams - as mentioned in the bolters - are on the up. Liverpool will struggle without Suarez, but Aspas and Sturridge look good. Everton may drop without Moyes, but are still quality, while Newcastle, Stoke, West Brom and Sunderland are looking at mid-table finishes.

This is going to be a very good season and I cannot wait!

Chelskiman

EPL Premier:

Chelsea.  I think we have a really solid squad for this season with a lot of depth.  We also won't play as many games as last year so hopefully that will keep us a bit fresher.  I think City will be our main rival for sure, with United still in the mix, but I reckon they will slip a little.

Champions League Qualifiers:

Chelsea
Man City
Man United
Tottenham

Europa League Qualifier:

Arsenal

"The Bolters":

Norwich for me.  They have a really soft draw up until they play Chelsea in about the 6th game of the season.  They could quite possibly be undefeated up until then.  Look at this for an easy starting fixture list.  Everton (home), Hull (away), Southampton (home), Aston Villa (home), Stoke (away) before play Chelsea at home.

"The Sliders":

West Brom, West Ham and Fulham.

Relegated Teams:

There's always a shock relegation and I honestly think it might be Fulham this season.  I think Hull and Crystal Palace will struggle to stay up as well.

Van Persie to win the Golden Boot, Cech to win the Golden Glove and Hazard to be the leading assister.  I also think who ever does win the EPL this season will win it by 3 points or less.

Tominator

Quote from: Chelskiman on August 13, 2013, 02:43:23 PM

Van Persie to win the Golden Boot, Cech to win the Golden Glove and Hazard to be the leading assister.  I also think who ever does win the EPL this season will win it by 3 points or less.

Thanks Chelski I will definitely add these in!

Nige

EPL Premier: As much as I want it to be Chelsea, I think we'll be pipped by Man City.
Champions League Qualifiers: Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd
Europa League Qualifier: Tottenham, Swansea
"The Bolters": Norwich for sure - great additions, proper threat. Southampton - I can feel it, they're gonna do nicely.
"The Sliders": I think Stoke and Sunderland might struggle a bit.
Relegated Teams: As Chelski said, there's always a shock. Villa might be that team. Stekers will help Fulham a lot.
Golden Boot Winner: As much as I don't want it to be, probably RVP.
Player with Most Assists: No idea, probably several players who have a decent chance.
Golden Glove: (player with most clean sheets) Cech should, maybe Mignolet a sneaky chance.
General thoughts for the upcoming season: Should be an interesting season. Keen to see some of the new guys to the EPL like Bony, Deulofeu etc do their thing. Can't wait!  8)

Chelskiman

Quote from: Tominator on August 13, 2013, 02:55:35 PM

Haha, no worries.  Also, I'm interested to know who selected other in the poll, and especially interested to see which team they think is going to win outside of the main contenders.

Nige

Quote from: Chelskiman on August 13, 2013, 03:35:23 PM
Quote from: Tominator on August 13, 2013, 02:55:35 PM

Wasn't me, I voted for Chelsea.  ;D If it was to be a team outside the poll, I'd probably pick Swansea.

Haha, no worries.  Also, I'm interested to know who selected other in the poll, and especially interested to see which team they think is going to win outside of the main contenders.

Luigi197

Chelsea to dominate with the lineup and team chemistry further settled, young players having greater impact, and Mourinho doing a master class.
1. Chelsea.
2. Man United I feel may falter a little under Moyes.
3. Liverpool to have a few cold patches, but many very hot patches.
4. Man City will struggle to find consistency.
5. Tottenham to be good, but never good enough.
"The Bolters":
Southampton and Swansea.
"The Sliders":
Sunderland and Stoke.
Relegated Teams:
Hull City, Cardiff City and Norwich.
Golden Boot Winner:
Robin Van Persie
Juan Mata
Petr Cech.
Arsene Wenger sacked.
Arsenal to disappoint.

Luigi197

BTW, I think it would be nice if we all also made our predictions for the winner of each match for each round.

Gameweek 1 - 17 Aug
(3) Liverpool   v   Stoke City (0)
(2) Arsenal   v   Aston Villa (1)
(1) Norwich   v   Everton (2)
(1) Sunderland   v   Fulham (1)
(2) West Brom   v   Southampton (2)
(2) West Ham   v   Cardiff City (1)
(2) Swansea   v   Man Utd (3)
(0) Crystal Palace   v   Tottenham   (4)
(4) Chelsea   v   Hull City (0)
(2) Man City   v   Newcastle (1)
(3) Chelsea   v   Aston Villa (1)

benjy251090

I think it will be Man City or Chelsea. Man City have the stronger outfit, but the problem is they will rotate a lot so they might not get into any sort of rhythm, they will still win though in my opinion.
1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Man Utd
4. Tottenham
5. Arsenal
6. Liverpool
7. Everton
"The Bolters":
Newcastle to start to improve on last year
"The Sliders":
Swansea to do what Newcastle did last season with the extra fixtures.
Relegated Teams:
Hull City, Cardiff City and Fulham.
Golden Boot Winner:
Robin Van Persie
Eden Hazard
Petr Cech.
Going to be a close season from 4th to 7th with Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton fighting out for the European spots.

Cicjose

Man United
1. Man United
2. Man City
3. Arsenal
4. Liverpool
5. Chelsea
6. Everton
7. Stoke
"The Bolters":
Wigan to finish 12th
"The Sliders":
Aston Villa
Relegated Teams:
Hull City, Cardiff City and Aston Villa
Golden Boot Winner:
Robin Van Persie
David Silva
Heurelho Gomes
One of the big 4 clubs will start badly and will be mid table until the final day when results go their way and they finish 4th

Hawka

1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Man U (have fun with moyes cause your going backwards)
4. Spurs(if bale stays), if not then Everton (really think we can make the jump with Martniez)
5. Everton/Spurs
6. Arsenal
7. Swansea

Bolters
Swansea, Norwich to have great seasons, Newcastle should improve to and Sunderland maybe too
Sliders
Liverpool will be lucky for top 8 at this rate, bought in no one of substance, Suarez will go and Gerrad is a year older
Relegation
Not to sure of relegation, If Benteke stays Villa dont go down, Sunderland will either go close to top 10 or be relegated, look for atleast 2 promoted teams to stay up
Golden Boot
If Rooney leaves RVP should kick enough goals
Most assists
David Silva
Glove
Hart
\

Final thoughts: Could be Wengers last year, look for Everton to score more goals but still keep tight down back

CrowsFan

Tominator

can somebody please clear this up for me cos I am unsure..... is it just 5th in the EPL that qualifies for Europa League (besides FA Cup and League Cup winners)?

Or do 6th and 7th get a slice of the pie too? I know only 3 English teams go to Europa